Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon is...

A loser
30%
A winner
13%
Just like me
26%
Upgrading the wrong part; go video, man!!! Who needs to save for the future; POWER NOW NOW NOW!!!
30%

Total votes: 23

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

I am a loser (OCing an Athlon 64)

Post by Zaxxon »

For those who weren't around for the 'critique my new rig' thread a couple of months back, I have a pretty near top-end system:

-Athlon 64 3200+
-2x512 MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 RAM
-7200 RPM 8 MB SATA 160 GB HD
-Video is just a 9800 Pro

Well I wasn't happy with my stock 'retail AMD' cooling system, so I got me one of these. It arrived today, and I can't wait to get home, re-grease my chip and mount it like a giggling schoolgirl.

What the hell is wrong with me!??

All for a few extra 3DMarks...
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

I said winner but reserve the right to change my vote in the event it never boots again.
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

A loser but I mean that in a good way. Seriously I have never been able to ubderstand OC'ing just for fun. All I need is for my game to run smooth with most if not all options cranked.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Overclocking is similar to adding horsepower to a car. No, you don't need to add a super charger but it's something that guys do. When I was 14 I got a moped. I remember taking the muffler partially off to get an extra 2-3 miles per hour. This is just like that. Taking that muffler partially off didn't really have a big effect on the overall performance of the moped but it meant that I could go just a little faster than my friend.
onaznam

Post by onaznam »

I would just like to point out that you will be needing a good lapping kit for that TTake HS. The base of TTake heatsinks aren't as smooth as you would like them to be for overclocking. Lapping might decrease your temps by as much as 3-5C. :shock:

Just my 2 cents! :D
onaznam

Post by onaznam »

Oh, dont forget that AS5 or Shin-Etsu is a must for overclocking.
Raug

Post by Raug »

Don't forget to eat a good breakfast before cracking the case. :twisted:
Cam

Post by Cam »

I think I see milk in that cereal bowl. That'sa no good. All that dairy will slow me down. Replace milk with good ol' sugar, then you're ready.
"You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves."
-President Andrew Jackson