tv tuners.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Meghan

tv tuners.

Post by Meghan »

So today's episode in our ongoing "Meghan goes shopping for laptops!" series is all about tv-tuners.

Hypersonic for example is selling lappies with the ATI Radeon 9700 w/ TV out. linky

They also sell ATI TV tuners optionally.

I don't really want to watch tv on my laptop but - how does this work?

If the tuner is optional, can I watch tv if I don't buy one?

My LCD monitor has DVI, which means I would hook that to the tv-out connector on the video card, right?

Can you get cable through your laptop? Satellite? Is there a monthly fee? Is it through your ISP?

Has anyone here tired this? Field Reports welcome!
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Rip

Re: tv tuners.

Post by Rip »

Meghan wrote:So today's episode in our ongoing "Meghan goes shopping for laptops!" series is all about tv-tuners.

Hypersonic for example is selling lappies with the ATI Radeon 9700 w/ TV out. linky

They also sell ATI TV tuners optionally.

I don't really want to watch tv on my laptop but - how does this work?

If the tuner is optional, can I watch tv if I don't buy one?

My LCD monitor has DVI, which means I would hook that to the tv-out connector on the video card, right?

Can you get cable through your laptop? Satellite? Is there a monthly fee? Is it through your ISP?

Has anyone here tired this? Field Reports welcome!
What you have now is the ability to OUTPUT video signal. So you probably have a yellow RCA type plug, like goes to a VCR. SO you can output your desktop to a TV via the video in jack from it. Your minitor may have a video in as well, but you wouldn't want to use it. I have used mine before to hook up the XBOX to it.

Now on to TV tuner. That will allow you to watch TV on your screen. It will have an RF connector like you get from catble TV. I will be able to change channels and display the broadcast to you screen.

If you want to get really into it. You can take in a station. Add some computer effects, maybe title and fades etc. The pipe that out the video out to your VCR for recording. :wink:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--