emachines love.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Austin

emachines love.

Post by Austin »

This forum doesn't have all the emachines love happening yet. I'm here to represent. :P 6810 baby! Great price at Best Buy, great service from Best Buy thus far and an awesome machine for the money! Go... go buy one now!
Your ad here.
RodeoRanch

Post by RodeoRanch »

I bought one oh, about 5 years ago. She's still ticking and I've had nary a problem. :D
Vegetable Man

Post by Vegetable Man »

Yep, emachines are delivering some great bang for your buck. It's pretty impressive what you can get in $500-600 range. I also like that their cases are fairly standard and allow for easier upgrades than say, HP, Dell, Sony, etc.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sorry dude, nothing but hate and malice for eMachines here.

My sister bought one a few years ago. What a half-assed POS that thing is.

- No AGP
- 200W power supply (that still manages to sound like a jet engine)
- 2 memory slots that came with 2 64 MB chips.

I tried to fix it up and give it to her kids, but that was hopeless. I'll build them something halfway decent from retired parts out of my system.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I've seen a few of their newer desktops and there's alot to like, AGP Slot, Good standard hardware, nForce Motherboards.. Would love one of their laptops..

The older stuff I agree is Garbage.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Vegetable Man

Post by Vegetable Man »

Oh, I should have clarified, yes their older stuff is crap. But most of the systems I've seen coming out in the 12-18 months has been a vast improvement(for reasons Rookie touched on, and more).

For everyday machines that you can buy 'off the shelf', I think they're some of the best available, especially when you consider price.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

To repeat something that's been repeated ad infinitum on various forums:

eMachines, as currently configured, is in no way shape, or form the same company as "emachines" of 18 months ago. If you bear a grudge against emachines for crappy computers from before that time, well, cool. But don't hold that same grudge against the *new* company that bought the eMachines name.

The new eMachines is an American company, and under the same umbrella as Gateway. The people running the new company seem to know exactly what they're doing, and specialize in offering great bang for the buck. Their service and support are rock solid as well.

My em laptop is a beautiful thing. I did have some tech support q's a few weeks ago, and was surprised to get someone speaking un-accented english on the phone, and even more surprised that they had an answer (that worked) within about 4 minutes.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, I have a laptop and it has been top notch thus far. Anyway they are built by Arima and provide excellent bang for the buck. (I cannot speak for desktops but it seems some people here love them too.)
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Those things are seriously good now?

I worked at CompUSA 4 years ago and they were so bad that I would steer customers away from them even if it meant losing a sale.

Hard to believe they've changed so much.
knob

Post by knob »

My dad bought an Athlon 2400 laptop a while back. It didn't take long for the fan to start dying on him. Eventually, it got so bad that he could barely turn it on.

eMachines replaced it with a Athlon 3200+ 64bit for $200. Not bad, if you ask me.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Forget eMachines, I am thinking of getting an eMac, just because I want to learn the OS.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Tim Frederick

Post by Tim Frederick »

You know eMachines and Gateway are the same thing now, right?