DVD player

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ripstar

DVD player

Post by Ripstar »

DVD players have realy dropped lately. So maybe its time I got one.

What is the value of having a DVD player hooked up to your cpu tower?

I understand that movies can be played on your PC? How fast of a PC do you need for this, or does it matter?

Are any games released in DVD format? Is it the way of the near future?

Is it harder to install than a cd player or burner or about the same?

Thanx for your help?
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Raug

Post by Raug »

CPU speed shouldn't be an issue unless you're running on a dinosaur of a PC. Doing a quick check of the readme for Cyberlink PowerDVD recommends a speed of at least 400 MHz. Installation is the same as any other disc drive. Just plug in the cable, tighten the screws, and you are basically good to go. Very occassionally a game will be released on DVD, but there's almost always a CD version anyway. Don't think I even own a DVD PC game, but they would be nice to have instead of multiple discs. I wish they would release in DVD format more often in those cases. ;) I doubt you'll see the number of DVD PC games increase anytime soon.
WPD

Post by WPD »

I'll echo most of what Raug said EXCEPT that the number of PC games on DVD games.

A few of the latest high-profile games have come out on DVD as well as CD, UT2004 and Sims 2 come to mind.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

You do need a dvd player to go with it if you want to play dvds.
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

What is the value of having a DVD player hooked up to your cpu tower?
Unless you have your CPU hooked up to a great screen, not a whole lot. DVD *burners*, on the other hand ... That said, DVD players on the computer allow you to apply additional software to the image processing, and it can improve the picture and give you a great deal more control, if you're a videophile.

Me, I went this route simply because I live in a small apartment, and it makes a whole lot more sense - frome space and convenience to raw dollars - to make the computer do everything. It's my stereo, DVD player, TV, TiVO, and game machine all rolled into one.
disarm

Post by disarm »

don't forget that quite a few DVD movies have additional DVD-ROM content that you can only view on a computer. sometimes these extra bits are pretty good and you can't see them any other way.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if the DVD drive you purchase doesn't come with a DVD player, there's a freeware one called MaximusDVD.