Tivo + 802.11g ?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Tivo + 802.11g ?

Post by Zaxxon »

I just finished the basic setup of my new Tivo (w00t). I purchased a Linksys WUSB54G 802.11g network adapter, not realizing that apparently Tivo only supports 802.11b (suck!) at this time. Has anyone gotten an 802.11g network adapter to work with their Tivo, and/or heard anything on when this support is forthcoming if not?
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

No annoucments have been made as far as 80211.g. Some suspect it will come eventualy, but nothing official has come from tivo.

The USB ports on the tivo are running at USB 1 and not USB2.0. Most series 2 have USB2.0 ports the the drivers are only USB 1 (exception being the first 60 hour series 2, it only has USB1 ports). So you won't see much improvment with 80211g.

Some people use 80211g with tivo by using USB to ethernet adapters, then Ethernet to 80211g bridges. This is the most expensive but faster way to do wireless on the Tivo. Still limted by the USB1 speeds though.

More info on that setup here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ght=bridge
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks. I wound up getting an 802.11b adapter and just hooking it up that way. No WPA support though, which stinks. WEP just doesn't cut it...
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Just filter by MAC addresses and be done with it.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:Just filter by MAC addresses and be done with it.

~Neal
While that will certainly help, it's not a very effective mitigating factor--more precisely, it does absolutely nothing to protect my data; all it does is try to keep offenders from *joining* my network; they can happily *see* all the data that's flying around.

As well, MAC addresses are simple to spoof, and I've heard that it's trivial to make these consumer routers divulge their MAC filter list, although I haven't seen the exact exploit.

What I'm lamenting is the lack of WPA support, the only serious level of encryption currently available on 802.11 networks. WEP is now easy to break.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You need a more voyeuristic attitude. You're not just running a system, but broadcasting Zaxxon's Computer Activities into the airwaves for tens -- nay hudreds of feet around! It's like you're your own little Computery radio station, and nobody can keep you down! Talk hard, Hard Harry.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet. Attention for me!
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

So, Zaxxon, any particular reason you were watching "Fashion Makeover Emergency" on TLC last night? Or why there are 9 episodes of "A Baby Story" already on your Tivo?

;)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:So, Zaxxon, any particular reason you were watching "Fashion Makeover Emergency" on TLC last night? Or why there are 9 episodes of "A Baby Story" already on your Tivo?

;)
WHY MUST YOU SPOIL MY SECRETS!??!!!!