Good place to buy an IPod?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Coskesh

Good place to buy an IPod?

Post by Coskesh »

My brother turns 18 next week, I'd like to get him an IPod for his bday.

I checked newegg, but cheapest one they have is 20 gig for $298. I was hoping to spend closer to $200, and ideally looking for a 4 - 10 gig model.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Apple keeps a fairly tight reign on sellers, so I don't know if you'll be able to beat places like www.macwarehouse.com or the such. Unless you went to eBay to get an older generation model (assuming "last year's model" is discounted cuz they're no longer the coolest-thing-evar).

Or you could spring for an iPod mini for $250, even Best Buy has them. C'mon isn't your brother worth it? :)
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Thanks Charlatan. Do you know if you can get all the fancy attachments for the mini's as well? Like the FM traceiver, er the gadget that lets you listen to your ipod on a FM frequency on any nearby radio.

I'll check out ebay as well.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Coskesh wrote:Thanks Charlatan. Do you know if you can get all the fancy attachments for the mini's as well? Like the FM traceiver, er the gadget that lets you listen to your ipod on a FM frequency on any nearby radio.

I'll check out ebay as well.
ya the same thingy you use for FM transmission (well, one of em anyway, the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car) works for both mini and normal iPods. And there's lots of other accessories too, just make sure for stuff like soft cases/covers, they're for the mini with the mini button layout, as opposed as the regular button layout.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Ended up getting a silver mini IPod for my bro at ComputerHQ.com for $239 with shipping included. Only reason I was hesitant is that I like to keep bday/xmas gifts in the $100 range unless its for mom.

Maybe I'll get one from him for xmas. :wink: