Turning off Windows Messenger in XP SP1

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Turning off Windows Messenger in XP SP1

Post by The Meal »

How do I do it? I get auto-logged into windows messenger whenver I boot up my notebook, and I'd rather not. Completely uninstalling is my #1 preference.

Thanks!
~Neal
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I believe there's an uninstaller, but I don't have time to look up the process right now. I would open up trusty regedit, then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run, and delete the entry that starts win messenger.

Then I'd download GAIM.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

GAIM better than Trillian?

Thanks for the suggestion. I won't actually be implementing anything until tomorrow evening as I'm going to a concert in Denver after work tonight and don't expect any PC time.

~Neal
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:GAIM better than Trillian?

Thanks for the suggestion. I won't actually be implementing anything until tomorrow evening as I'm going to a concert in Denver after work tonight and don't expect any PC time.

~Neal
GAIM much better than trillian lately, IMO. The free Trillian isn't that impressive, while GAIM has all sorts of neat features (like buddy pounces!).

Of course I haven't used Trillian in quite awhile, so it's possible that it's improved. Last I checked, the free Trillian hadn't been actively developed in awhile.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Perhaps I am showing my ignorance, since I don't use messenger (and I know there is windows message service for networking messages and windows messenger, the chat program) but I thought it was as simple as unchecking the load at start up option in the preferences tab for windows messenger.

I do believe there is a way to uninstall it completely, I remember reading about it--- you had to jump through a hoop or two, (and simply unchecking the load at start-up box worked for me) so I didn't bother.

Nevertheless, perhaps this would answer your question....http://www.pchell.com/support/removemessenger.shtml
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks for the link, gorhy! Unchecking that startup box probably would work fine, but I've got an irrational desire to blast that sucker clear off the hard drive. :)

And Zax did a great job answering the question I left unasked -- what's better than Windows Messenger? I'd still prefer to be able to use multiple chat systems within one client if that were possible. MSN, and AIM are absolute requirements, at the least.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I think all they've done for awhile with trilliam is fix issues that crop up.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

I always disable it on startup via msconfig and then rename the folder to "MessengerOFF".

As for Trillian v. GAIM, I've never tried GAIM, but I actually purchased Trillian Pro a while back and I'm pretty happy with it (except the default skin is awful). It added several things that were missing in the free version (like MSN file transfers) and it's updated more often.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Also, for Zaxxon:
Q: What does "Gaim" stand for?

A: For freedom! No, seriously, it doesn't stand for anything. It's our name and we're sticking to it. The two acceptable forms of capitalization are "Gaim" and "gaim" (and not "GAIM").
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Peacedog wrote:Also, for Zaxxon:
Q: What does "Gaim" stand for?

A: For freedom! No, seriously, it doesn't stand for anything. It's our name and we're sticking to it. The two acceptable forms of capitalization are "Gaim" and "gaim" (and not "GAIM").
Well hot damn. I'm fired.

Meal: I use AIM and MSN, and both work pretty well through Gaim/gaim/NOTGAIM. MSN had some issues in the past, but the Gaim team seems to have worked them out.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Unchecking it in msconfig never worked for me. The thing always pops up even if I kill it in Task Manager. I'll try regediting and see if that works. I hate that stupid messenger thing.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

gorham09 wrote:Nevertheless, perhaps this would answer your question....http://www.pchell.com/support/removemessenger.shtml
This worked like a champ! Thanks again.

I've done nothing to investigate Gaim, although it's on my to-do list.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra