Radeon problems, computer won't post

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Coskesh

Radeon problems, computer won't post

Post by Coskesh »

Last couple of weeks, about 30% of the time when I cold boot my rig, I get a red error box prior to my system posting about how there is no power source connected to my Radeo 9800. I know there is, and usually a power down or two and it'll boot up fine. It seems to be becoming more and more frequent, and since I got the Radeon used off Ebay 4 or 5 months ago, I'm wondering if it's the card.

Before I swap out my powersupply, I figured I'd ask around to see if anyone else has experienced this. I did change the power connection to the card from the shared hdrive one to the one that powers all my fans, but no difference. It's a 350 watt power supply, I'm running 2 hdrives, a cdrom, couple of case fans, and the video card.

Thanks.
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Those symptoms sounds like the Radeon is dying. Try improving the cooling and see if that helps. Just leave the case open with a large table fan blowing right at it, see if there's an improvement. If there is, replace heatsink/fan or exchange the card.

As for the PSU failing to deliver the needed power, there's usually a BIOS option to see how much is on the rails; just check that the values are within bounds.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I also had a no post problem with an Asylum 5700 and it was the card going bad. Luckily Asylum had a lifetime warranty.