I need a backup solution!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: I need a backup solution!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 pm Hmm, that is something I need to consider before picking one. I think the Wirecutter review (or maybe Reviewd) compared upload speeds between the offerings. Should go back and look at that.
From Wirecutter's review:
Spoiler:
"Bandwidth control: You might imagine that faster is always better when it comes to online backups, but if your ISP imposes a monthly data cap, you may want the option to limit how fast your backup app sends data to the cloud. For example, if your Internet plan has a data transfer limit of 400 GB per month, some backup apps could max out your monthly allotment in less than two days unless you throttle the bandwidth to a more reasonable speed. On the other hand, if your ISP has no data caps, or if they’re sufficiently generous, you want the fastest possible throughput. Of the services I tested, only Carbonite appears to restrict bandwidth arbitrarily on the server end; the company claims upload speeds of “up to 10 Mbps,” regardless of how much bandwidth your broadband connection offers."

In addition, because upload speed is such an important consideration when you’re backing up to the cloud, I performed a series of timed tests with specially designed files. In particular, I wanted to test a worst-case scenario in which files would benefit as little as possible from compression, thus gaining a better idea of how the services’ apps compared in raw throughput. So I used a Unix utility to create files at various specific sizes (including 1 MB and 1 GB) consisting of completely random binary data, turned off other networking services, and fed my test files to each backup app, timing the upload speed. I timed it myself because the throughput measurements and “time remaining” estimates found in certain online backup apps are notoriously misleading, if not entirely inaccurate. For apps that offered control over network throttling, CPU usage, and threading (that is, sending or receiving multiple chunks of data at once), I performed the tests at least twice: once with default settings and once with all settings cranked up as high as they could go.

When testing upload throughput, I was looking for numbers as close to my broadband connection’s maximum upstream bandwidth as possible. For the most-recent update to this guide, when I retested Backblaze, IDrive, and Acronis True Image 2018, Speedtest.net reported that maximum as 31.62 Mbps. I had conducted my testing of the other apps for a previous update with an upstream connection that maxed out at 22.70 Mbps; however, none of those services came close to that maximum, so I don’t think a faster connection would have made a difference. The highest throughput I measured was 27.1 Mbps, on IDrive with default settings; the lowest was 4.64 Mbps, on Carbonite, which offers no control over throughput on a Mac, and on Windows has only a checkbox to reduce bandwidth.2

Keep in mind, however, that my controlled performance tests may differ from your real-world results, for any of numerous reasons. For example:

Files that are more compressible than the ones I used in my tests may upload faster but also require more CPU power, slowing down other tasks your computer is performing. Compression efficiency also depends on the compression algorithm your backup software uses. There’s no good way to test compression across online backup software: Not all apps report compressed file sizes, and regardless of the test files I chose, your results could still differ wildly—even with the same app—because each file is different.
Software that offers deduplication is likely to back up your data more quickly, and if the deduplication is at the block level rather than the file level, you may enjoy even greater time savings.
Backing up lots of small files (such as all of your saved email from the past decade) can take a lot longer than backing up a smaller number of large files, even if the total size is the same, because each file introduces a certain amount of overhead for scanning, compressing, and encrypting.
Your maximum upstream bandwidth depends on your broadband plan and ISP type, the time of day, network usage by other apps or devices in your home or office, and other variables. But remember: With most home broadband plans, upload speed is much slower than download speed.
Your computer’s processing power can make a big difference in backup speed, because the faster your computer is, the faster compression, deduplication, and other processor-intensive tasks can occur. So the changes you make to your backup app’s settings for CPU and network usage can make a significant difference, too.
Because backing up all the user data from an average computer with an average broadband connection can take days or weeks, backing up and restoring such a large quantity of data for each service I tested was infeasible for me. The main drawback of this limitation was that I couldn’t be sure that my speed results would scale smoothly.
And for Backblaze specifically:

"As of an August 2017 update to the Backblaze software that increased the number of threads it uses even with default settings, the backup performance is significantly better compared with the previous version. With default settings, my tests showed throughput of 19.58 Mbps—not the fastest of the services I tested, but quite respectable. At that rate, you could back up about 220 GB of data per day. However, you don’t have to stick with the defaults. If you click Settings and then go to the Performance tab, you can uncheck Automatic Threading/Throttle, move the Manual Throttle slider as far as you like toward Faster Backups, and even choose the number of backup threads (from 1 to 20) from a pop-up menu. Backblaze warns against choosing a number higher than 6, but I was able to go all the way up to 20 on my test machine without any apparent ill effects. With performance bumped up as high as it would go, my tests showed throughput of 22.4 Mbps—again, not quite the fastest of the group, but plenty fast for most people. "

And for iDrive:
"Of any app I tested, IDrive had the best throughput, 27.1 Mbps, at its default settings (which don’t throttle upload speeds). And you can share, via email or social media, files you’ve backed up; recipients get a link to download the file."

Wow, now I am considering iDrive instead. They also offer a special rate to previous Crashplan users, 5TB for $7 for the first year. Not bad!!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:02 pm Wow, now I am considering iDrive instead. They also offer a special rate to previous Crashplan users, 5TB for $7 for the first year. Not bad!!
Sold! The $7 even seems to include the seed drive service and shipping both ways. Looking back at my CrashPlan emails, I paid $125 on top of the yearly subscription fee to do a seed drive with them.
stessier

Post by stessier »

So far I've uploaded just under 100 GB out of 760 GB in about 48 hours. This morning when I checked, the upload speed was pegged at 4.1 Mb/s, which is a bit better than the 4 Mb I'm paying for. Only 3500 files are left to upload. If the speeds hold, I could be done in 12 days rather than 32 (or the 531 I was originally quoted).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

The company I work for does support for a lot of different companies. Some of which use Crashplan. We have taken to calling it Trashplan... Have had multiple issues including being unable to restore some files that the software said was backed up, but wasn't..
YMMV
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Carpet_pissr

I need a backup solution!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Punisher wrote:The company I work for does support for a lot of different companies. Some of which use Crashplan. We have taken to calling it Trashplan... Have had multiple issues including being unable to restore some files that the software said was backed up, but wasn't..
YMMV
Interesting. Is that recent or you’ve always had issues?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have had some issues recently with them, but not related to an actual recovery. One of the things we do is to review the various backup solutions our clients have to determine success rate for a 30 day period to see if it is working. First off, their actual logs are horrible and difficult to sort out for actual success rate. From what I gathered at the time there was about a 65% success rate so that's not too good. Other than that, My info is 2nd hand from other IT people in the company that just have not had many good experiences dealing with it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

65% success rate at what?

The one problem I’ve been having is on my wife’s computer, the backup service doesn’t want to start when the machine starts. So if we lose power or something it doesn’t start backing up again until you manually start the service. It’s set to auto-start so I’m not sure why it isn’t but it’s annoying me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
naednek

Post by naednek »

does Idrive let you backup files locally and the cloud? Or is just cloud only?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:09 am 65% success rate at what?

The one problem I’ve been having is on my wife’s computer, the backup service doesn’t want to start when the machine starts. So if we lose power or something it doesn’t start backing up again until you manually start the service. It’s set to auto-start so I’m not sure why it isn’t but it’s annoying me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Success rate of successful backups. IE: Back starts and completed successfully 65% of the time and failed for one thong or another the rest.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You’ve got to make sure that the string is wet.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

naednek wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:12 pm does Idrive let you backup files locally and the cloud? Or is just cloud only?
The File Sync feature looks like it might be practically the same thing as a local backup. Might be an all or nothing thing though, like a mirror of your online backup dataset.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Punisher wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm I have had some issues recently with them, but not related to an actual recovery. One of the things we do is to review the various backup solutions our clients have to determine success rate for a 30 day period to see if it is working. First off, their actual logs are horrible and difficult to sort out for actual success rate. From what I gathered at the time there was about a 65% success rate so that's not too good. Other than that, My info is 2nd hand from other IT people in the company that just have not had many good experiences dealing with it.
How much total data were you backing up? After a while with CrashPlan I had issues with never reaching 100% of my files backed up. Reached out to support and it was because I was over some threshold of data capacity (1TB? 1.5TB?). They helped me change some setting and then everything worked fine after that.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:32 pm
Punisher wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm I have had some issues recently with them, but not related to an actual recovery. One of the things we do is to review the various backup solutions our clients have to determine success rate for a 30 day period to see if it is working. First off, their actual logs are horrible and difficult to sort out for actual success rate. From what I gathered at the time there was about a 65% success rate so that's not too good. Other than that, My info is 2nd hand from other IT people in the company that just have not had many good experiences dealing with it.
How much total data were you backing up? After a while with CrashPlan I had issues with never reaching 100% of my files backed up. Reached out to support and it was because I was over some threshold of data capacity (1TB? 1.5TB?). They helped me change some setting and then everything worked fine after that.
Couldnt say for sure, but I could see some of the clients with issues having more than 1TB and some less than 1TB.. I "think" the last one had issue with was around 300GB-400GB though.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm So far I've uploaded just under 100 GB out of 760 GB in about 48 hours. This morning when I checked, the upload speed was pegged at 4.1 Mb/s, which is a bit better than the 4 Mb I'm paying for. Only 3500 files are left to upload. If the speeds hold, I could be done in 12 days rather than 32 (or the 531 I was originally quoted).
319 GB left to upload. Progress.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 am
stessier wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm So far I've uploaded just under 100 GB out of 760 GB in about 48 hours. This morning when I checked, the upload speed was pegged at 4.1 Mb/s, which is a bit better than the 4 Mb I'm paying for. Only 3500 files are left to upload. If the speeds hold, I could be done in 12 days rather than 32 (or the 531 I was originally quoted).
319 GB left to upload. Progress.
Backup complete!
naednek

Post by naednek »

GRRR. For the life of me, I can't recall my masterpassword for idrive. And they do not know (as expected) but it be nice if they had a hints page. It also would have been nice for me to have written it down. I just got everything uploaded and even had some overages on my comcast allotment all for nothing.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

naednek wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:15 am GRRR. For the life of me, I can't recall my masterpassword for idrive. And they do not know (as expected) but it be nice if they had a hints page. It also would have been nice for me to have written it down. I just got everything uploaded and even had some overages on my comcast allotment all for nothing.
Cant you reset it?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

naednek wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:15 am GRRR. For the life of me, I can't recall my masterpassword for idrive. And they do not know (as expected) but it be nice if they had a hints page. It also would have been nice for me to have written it down. I just got everything uploaded and even had some overages on my comcast allotment all for nothing.
Take it as a life lesson on the critical importance of using a proper Password Manager to keep all your passwords safe and secure.

KeePass Password Safe and Bruce Schneier's Password Safe are both free and open-source, and among the best-known, and most widely trusted. I've been using KeePass for at least a decade, and consider it an absolute essential. Once you start using a Password Manager, you'll soon begin to wonder how anyone manages to function online without one.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Anonymous Bosch

Punisher wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm
Cant you reset it?
Likely not, assuming the data is sufficiently encrypted.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I need a physical paper back up system, I've been trying to remember where I put two folders for the last few days. I remember putting them someplace I thought was a good choice. LMAO :shock:

I guess if I was smart I'd have scanned them. :roll:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
fbarraza28

Post by fbarraza28 »

Spam
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I need offline storage. I have two external hard drives, one to be used as a backup of the other. I don’t need or want cloud storage. Is IDrive the only solution? I feel like I’d be overpaying as I don’t need cloud storage.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Lorini wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 pm I need offline storage. I have two external hard drives, one to be used as a backup of the other. I don’t need or want cloud storage. Is IDrive the only solution? I feel like I’d be overpaying as I don’t need cloud storage.
If you just want to backup locally, grab the freeware version of AOMEI Backupper Standard and you should be good to go.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Are RAID setups still a thing people do? I might be behind the times, but in the olden days I thought that was the best way to mirror a drive for backup purposes.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 pm Are RAID setups still a thing people do? I might be behind the times, but in the olden days I thought that was the best way to mirror a drive for backup purposes.
It is, but on Win 10 it's even easier. Just use a Storage Space.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yes storage space looks right, but unfortunately Win10 suddenly decided that my second disk wasn't formatted, even though I copied a ton of stuff to it this morning. Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Lorini wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:07 pm Yes storage space looks right, but unfortunately Win10 suddenly decided that my second disk wasn't formatted, even though I copied a ton of stuff to it this morning. Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestion.
If you're lucky, scanning and fixing the drive with CHKDSK may help.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the new Humble Bundle has a one-year subscription to SpiderOak One Backup
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, what is the go-to for a hands-off, lightweight cloud backup option these days?

What I really want is just to:

1. Back up a couple of specific, small folders (my 'checkbook' and a couple of other important private documents, a bunch of configuration files for things that I don't want to reconfigure from scratch if there's a hiccup, etc) on a regular basis.
2. Do so without backing up every file each time - only the changed/added files.
3. Lightweight. Preferably something that runs once, checks and updates, then goes away and doesn't run in the background.
4. Hands-off. I don't want this process to be reliant on me remembering to manually run it every day.
5. Free or cheap, and not subscription-based.
6. Preferably the ability to access the files from elsewhere if I need to.

I've been using Google's Backup & Sync, but they've updated the client to a new version that's using even more resources. I don't really need the files to sync in real time, just once a day and then go away. Besides, I'm stuck with gmail, but other than that I've been gradually getting Google out of my life, so now seems like a good time to switch.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:52 am So, what is the go-to for a hands-off, lightweight cloud backup option these days?

1. Back up a couple of specific, small folders (my 'checkbook' and a couple of other important private documents, a bunch of configuration files for things that I don't want to reconfigure from scratch if there's a hiccup, etc) on a regular basis.
2. Do so without backing up every file each time - only the changed/added files.
3. Lightweight. Preferably something that runs once, checks and updates, then goes away and doesn't run in the background.
4. Hands-off. I don't want this process to be reliant on me remembering to manually run it every day.

I've been using Google's Backup & Sync, but they've updated the client to a new version that's using even more resources. I don't really need the files to sync in real time, just once a day and then go away. Besides, I'm stuck with gmail, but other than that I've been gradually getting Google out of my life, so now seems like a good time to switch.
Have a butcher's at ProPrivacy's 5 Best Free Cloud Storage Services for Privacy and Security and check the reviews to see which best fits your needs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:52 am So, what is the go-to for a hands-off, lightweight cloud backup option these days?

Coming back to this. I still need a solution. I have a ton of space already on Google Drive, and don't want to pay rent on someone else's server for space. I just want a tool that will move the data from my system to Google Drive.

I'm not a business, so I don't need anything super complex. And the stuff I'm backing up isn't anything that I'm all that worried about privacy on. I just want to be able to back up projects in case I lose a drive or something gets corrupted, and do so without wasting system resources and without babysitting (IE - I want it to run once a day, automatically, and then exit.) I'm still using Google Drive, and it's a blunt instrument. It can only back up whole folders (it can't exclude folders), and getting it to run once automatically, do its job, and then exit requires way more system gymnastics than I prefer.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

AB’s post above didn’t help?

Also, dude, have you been asking this question without committing to a solution for 8 years? :D

If so, have you considered the possibility that *exactly* what you want doesn’t exist and you will have to settle for one of the existing solutions?

No snark meant in that at all, but I think I know your brain a little bit from what you’ve shared over the years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:20 am AB’s post above didn’t help?

Also, dude, have you been asking this question without committing to a solution for 8 years? :D

If so, have you considered the possibility that *exactly* what you want doesn’t exist and you will have to settle for one of the existing solutions?

No snark meant in that at all, but I think I know your brain a little bit from what you’ve shared over the years.
Eight years? Three months. My first post in this thread (seven years ago) was for a completely different type of problem. I posted again four years ago, found a solution, used it until my needs changed, found a different solution (without coming here), which was discontinued three months ago.

And yeah, there won't ever be a perfect solution. But everything I've looked at is either A) designed for businesses and IT people to back up whole drives and leave running all the time, B) involve huge subscription plans, or C) are command line/scripting based like it's 1995. I need to automatically backup two folders, under two gigs total, once a day. And I don't need it running other than that, eating up system resources. Google's Backup & Sync let me do that. They 'improved' it by taking away all of the controls. I keep finding Google Drive cranking my disk usage when I was right in the middle of something, slowing it to a crawl in order to keep me synced 24/7, which I don't need. And one of the folders that I need backed up includes two huge, many-gigabyte cache folders that I don't need backed up. Google drive doesn't allow you to exclude folders. It's all-or-nothing.

So I came looking for something simple. Searching turns up hundreds - literally hundreds - of backup solutions. I was hoping to narrow that down. So I asked. I got one response. And I appreciated Anonymous Bosch giving suggestions, but they're extremely limited by his views on privacy, which I don't share. After three months, I thought it was reasonable to ask again.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:02 am Coming back to this. I still need a solution. I have a ton of space already on Google Drive, and don't want to pay rent on someone else's server for space. I just want a tool that will move the data from my system to Google Drive.

I'm not a business, so I don't need anything super complex. And the stuff I'm backing up isn't anything that I'm all that worried about privacy on. I just want to be able to back up projects in case I lose a drive or something gets corrupted, and do so without wasting system resources and without babysitting (IE - I want it to run once a day, automatically, and then exit.) I'm still using Google Drive, and it's a blunt instrument. It can only back up whole folders (it can't exclude folders), and getting it to run once automatically, do its job, and then exit requires way more system gymnastics than I prefer.
In that case, it sounds like you'd benefit from using something like Syncdocs, which basically provides an improved front-end for Google Drive over Google's client:
syncdocs.com wrote:Enhance Google Drive
  • Sync any folders to Google Drive, not just the one folder Google’s client offers.
  • These folders can be anywhere on your PC, network or even an external drive. So you have the freedom to make Google work the way you want it, and not be forced to use another folder structure.
  • Better privacy and security. Sensitive materials are automatically encrypted online.
  • Access all your files offline. Unlike Google’s client, all files are copied locally. This means you have a complete backup, and you can edit these files when offline. When you go online again, your changes are synced.
  • Sync multiple accounts at the same time. Keep your home and work and Google Apps accounts all in sync at the same time!
  • Install without Administrator permissions – powerful automated deployment scripts help you roll out and pre-configure Google Drive to your users.
  • Schedule Google Drive backups – backup once a day if you want. Your Google contact list is backed up too!
  • Full control over sync direction – upload, download or both
  • Maintain Google access rights on Windows – files you share without edit permissions stay that way.
  • Shared files are also synced – Google Drive won’t sync files that others share with you, Syncdocs lets you choose.
  • Facebook, Twitter and GMail file sharing – simply click on a file or folder to share it.
  • See what’s going on – Syncdocs shows you the full status of the current sync. No more wondering how far you are from done.
  • Smooth desktop integration
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:52 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:20 am AB’s post above didn’t help?

Eight years? Three months. My first post in this thread (seven years ago) was for a completely different type of problem. I posted again four years ago, found a solution, used it until my needs changed, found a different solution (without coming here), which was discontinued three months ago.

And yeah, there won't ever be a perfect solution. But everything I've looked at is either A) designed for businesses and IT people to back up whole drives and leave running all the time, B) involve huge subscription plans, or C) are command line/scripting based like it's 1995. I need to automatically backup two folders, under two gigs total, once a day. And I don't need it running other than that, eating up system resources. Google's Backup & Sync let me do that. They 'improved' it by taking away all of the controls. I keep finding Google Drive cranking my disk usage when I was right in the middle of something, slowing it to a crawl in order to keep me synced 24/7, which I don't need. And one of the folders that I need backed up includes two huge, many-gigabyte cache folders that I don't need backed up. Google drive doesn't allow you to exclude folders. It's all-or-nothing.

So I came looking for something simple. Searching turns up hundreds - literally hundreds - of backup solutions. I was hoping to narrow that down. So I asked. I got one response. And I appreciated Anonymous Bosch giving suggestions, but they're extremely limited by his views on privacy, which I don't share. After three months, I thought it was reasonable to ask again.
My bad, no insult intended, dude, seriously. I just happened to go back in the thread (looking for my previous comments about switching to IDrive) and saw where you were asking about a backup solution 7-8 years ago. Was not aware that you found one.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

One solution is to run a robocopy command to copy whatever you need to google drive folder/drive once a day using the Windows task scheduler.

Let google drive app to be active. As long as there is no change in the contents then google drive app will not slow your disk so if you the robocopy run once a day, google drive will also only sync once a day.

Robocopy is included in Windows for a while now and it is very powerful, but you need to use command line to run it. You only need to figure this out once. With robocopy, you can exclude files or folders using names/paths/wildcards. You can also use backup mode so it'll only copy new files or files that change since last copy.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... s/robocopy
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Weird, but my backup drive today went unrecognized as media. Insist on being reformated.

I have a USB3 HD Dock (with 2 bays) on my desk, and I have a 2.7TB drive in there acting as my backup-to drive, with some extra media I previously downloaded or wanted to offload from my data drive. Nothing I can't live without, so it's somewhat surprising to click on it, and heard it click, and got "This drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it?"

Tried restarting the dock, reseating the drive, same result. Ended up quick formating the drive, then got a recovery program running. It'll run for the next... 6 hours.

THEN I have to find another drive to run the backup on...

-----

Recovery complete, it dug up a ton of files, but now I have nowhere to stick the file to... At the moment. I ordered a new drive, but it won't be here for a week. :-\
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got the new drives in. It's 4TB drive. Except the dock only recognized it as a 3TB drive? Yes, it's GPT initialized. I'm on Win10, not ancient MB. I tried Speccy and it seems the dock is working fine and the drive really is a 3TB drive, and according to the spec dock should work with up to 12TB drives, so not sure why it'd not read a 4TB drive... AFAIK, it's a genuine 3TB drive labeled as a 4TB drive? WTF?

I can try the OTHER 4TB drive I bought. If it ALSO reads as 3TB I guess I'll have to try to connect it internally and see what happens...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Turns out it's the dock I bought and I did not reboot.

Rebooting the PC (something I can't do as I was uploading some ****) somehow made the additional space on the HD visible. Weird.

----

Recuva did not recover much useful files. The entire 3TB HD is basically gone. Good thing I didn't have anything important on it. Still, it's very... annoying.