Help me buy my next computer!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

IHateMorrowind

Help me buy my next computer!

Post by IHateMorrowind »

I've got about $2000 to spend--I could go about $200 higher at the absolute most if I found a really sweet deal. Building my own isn't an option--I am extremely mechanically challenged :D. I don't need a monitor or printer--have those.

Given all this, and what I have to spend, what would you think my best option is for a new system? My priorities are performance/reliability, and I want to get the biggest bang for my bucks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you want the biggest bang for the buck, then you would build one yourself. Unfortunately, home-built machines don't come with the 3-year warranty available to fit your "reliability" requirement. If something breaks prematurely, you often have to suck it up and replace it yourself (of course, buying quality components in the first place should get you trouble-free for 3 years).
IHateMorrowind

Post by IHateMorrowind »

As I said, building my own isn't really an option--I get mechanically challenged trying to open child-proof packaging 8).
Lee

Post by Lee »

Most important thing is a really good video card with lots of memory so you can play Morrowind smoothly. :lol:

I didn't feel like building my last computer and bought a Dell without the monitor. Got the best I could for about $1600 and it's been a rock solid computer that still runs anything good a year and a half later (I don't play FPS though).
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Are you looking for a LAN (SEE: Portable) gaming machine or one that will never move and just suck up dust in your house?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
IHateMorrowind

Post by IHateMorrowind »

Never move. It's going to sit there :).
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

I am an unabashed Falcon Fan boy. I have had 3 systems over the last 12 years and have never had a hardware problem. The tech support is simply the best. Some of those guys have been there since I got my first rig. Yes they are expensive however I just looked on their site and you can geta Talon with amd 3200+ and a 6800GT video card for $1895. 1gig of ram. Uses onboard sound but you can upgrade to an Audigy if you want. Really these guys build machines that can fly and any software issues you might have with a game they can help you with. Yes they are just about the most expensive but to me the combination of speed and tech support makes it worth it.
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

Got this from several different places. If you want to buy it before tomorrow at 11pm CST it will work. Oh and this comes with a 19" LCD.

Dell has a $500 off $1499 Dimension Desktop systems, which is good thru 10/25, 11pm CST.

Get the cutting edge Dimension 8400 with the following configuration:

Pentium-4 3GHz HT
1GB DDR2 RAM
160GB SATA HDD
16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
Radeon X800 SE 128MB PCI-E
FREE 19" E193FP LCD Upgrade!

Your final price with the configuration is: $1538 - $500 = $1038. Free shipping and no sales tax for most.

# Click though the following link to the Dell Home Dimension 8400.

Dell Home

# The base price is $1099. You have to add $400 more to the configuration to use the coupon. You can choose whatever you want, but here`s what we`d suggest:

* 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M) [add $130 or $4/month]
* 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) [add $40 or $1/month]
* Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability [add $90 or $3/month]
* 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X800 SE [add $180 or $5/month]

# Scroll to the bottom and click on Continue
# Scroll to the bottom and click on Continue
# Scroll to the bottom and click on Add To Cart
# Use coupon code: Q6Z3T$8MHM?7F1 for the $500 off $1499+ Dimension desktop purchase. Expires exactly at 10/25/04 11:00pm CST. Be sure to choose 2nd day shipping, since it`s free (just like ground shipping)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Lee wrote:Most important thing is a really good video card with lots of memory so you can play Morrowind smoothly. :lol:
Darnit, ya stole my line! :x :wink:
knob

Post by knob »

My brother bought a PC from www.ibuypower.com

I've been nothing short of impressed with it. (Although he picked an ugly case that reminds me of Power Rangers)

http://www.dansdata.com/nzxtguard.htm

Except he got a yellow one
If I had a sig, would you read it?