Storing Passwords

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Storing Passwords

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Moliere wrote:How do you keep a keylogger from recording your Master Password? I found this old thread asking the same question and it seems there is no good answer without adding extra steps like authenticating through your Windows user account or adding a Key File. But I don't want to deal with carrying a Key FIle around with me or potentially losing it.
Just store the Key File remotely on a cloud storage service (e.g. on DropBox or Google Drive). That way, there's no need to worry about having to carry it around with you, or potentially losing it. In fact, it's not a bad idea to use a cloud storage provider for the KeePass database, too. To that end, there are several KeePass Plugins that help further integrate synchronization and support for various cloud drive services.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I used to use KeePass exclusively until I started using LastPass, as it also works in Android. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote:I used to use KeePass exclusively until I started using LastPass, as it also works in Android. :)
Granted, LastPass does offer a slicker Android app, but you get what you pay for; it is a commercial product after all. While it may be preferable if there were an official Android KeePass app, KeePass2Android (and/or the offline version if connectivity is an issue) is a fully functional Android implementation of KeePass, that provides automatic syncing, with impressive browser and app-integration. Which isn't too shabby for an Open Source app (and there's much to be said in terms of security for going Open Source vs. proprietary).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I use the free version of LastPass, and have for years. There are a few sites that I use the built-in Chrome password manager for so that I can use them on android, but nothing vital, personal, or financial (just a dozen forums and such.)

Then again, my circumstances are different from most. I pretty much never need to access that kind of data or do online shopping when I'm away from home.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jotomades

Post by jotomades »

Hmm... that is a good idea