Building a Mini-ITX

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Building a Mini-ITX

Post by Zarathud »

The server box we currently use for the kid's computer is chugging along horribly (probably because the old 1GB RAM has been woefully inadequate for years). I'm building a $500 box around the BitFenix Prodigy case and mini-ITX form factor:

The goal is to get a machine that can serve as a file backup and run LEGO, SEGA Sonic Racing and other kid games. A power gaming system is not required, and later upgrades are expected. Before watching Starship Troopers on Rifftrax with hepcat, I went with this:

Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
Intel Core i3-4130 (3M Cache, 3.40 GHz)
Kingston 8GB HyperX (PC3-12800) CL9
Gigabite Geforce GTX 650 Ti
LG Blu-ray with DVD Burner
WD Blue 500GB SATA
Corsair CX430M

At the last minute, I decided to lower the Wattage on the Power Supply because I leave this box turned on all of the time and the Intel i3 really does have a lower power draw. The video card is overkill for a 6 year old running on a spare 1050p monitor.
Last edited by Zarathud on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Re: Building a Mini-ITX

Post by Daehawk »

Started to say you could go cheaper on the video card.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I went with only a 1GB video card, so the price was $125 in-store. It's pretty small and runs a larger fan. I was only going to spend $75 on a NVIDIA card, but I started to get worried about the SEGA Sonic Racing -- one of the kid's favorite games. Its power draw is pretty small and overall ratings are great for its category, so I bent the budget a little.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

heh its gunny how fast stuff changed. I got my GTX 560ti 1g card in 2011 and it was like $250. I think that one you got it about the same as mine and cost so much less :( Damn tech lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I build a bunch of Shuttle mini-ITX boxes back in the day. They all eventually died because of the PSU. Just too small.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The video card market is strange. I am also running a 560 Ti that's 2 years old and its ratings are still 25-30% faster than the 650 Ti. The power requirements of the new card is around 1/2 the older one, I believe.

The new system replaces an old Shuttle style box, and I'm impressed with how 4 more inches of height really matters for the layout.

The upgrade for my machine is going to be a 500 Gig Samsung EVO SDD. I just have to work out the data transfer from my boot drive to avoid a system reinstall.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

double tap
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I got a nice 650ti to upgrade my son's older Shuttle SFF box. It was a big step up from the 8800GT. He loves it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The top 'decade' of each 'century' number are better cards than the bottom 'decade' of the higher 'century'. Click the link for a visual representation from GeForce themselves.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

How did the build go? I am thinking of accelerating my build-a-new-rig plans, since my current box recently had a serious brain fart that required a clean Windows installation to fix. I'd like to go mini-ITX, just for funsies.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Lovely case, very easy to work inside, except you need space on the right for USB plugs. I ended up getting a fan power converter for the third fan. Runs very quietly but I have to make sure the kids don't put stuff underneath -- the PSU vents in from the raised bottom.

I would recommend making sure you use the Windows 7 64 bit DVD rather than throwing in the first disc you find -- for the full 8 GB memory. Completely forgot about that issue!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Should have said you need space OUTSIDE the side of the case for USB ports.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So, has anyone built in a DAN Case A4-SFX? It looks like fun.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Interesting idea of fun you have there...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It's been four years since my last build, and I'm getting the itch...
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

It's a terrible time to build a new box. Video card prices are insane thanks to the bitcoin mining asshats. I just had my old one die and almost died myself of sticker shock when shopping for a replacement. I ended up paying 50% more than I would have for the same card in back 2016. Ram prices are also insane right now.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review