Need a new router....help

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Enigma

Need a new router....help

Post by Enigma »

I've been having problems with my 7(?) year old router Dlink DIR655 (rev A3). I have to power it down about 3 times per day because my devices lose connection. The modem is fine and I've updated the DIR to the latest firmware. Still no help. I'm running PC/laptops on my network, PS3 and ipads/iphones.

I obviously havent bought a router in years so I need some help picking a good one to work in my house and with my devices. I'd like it to be easy to use, fast, and be able to cover my entire house (strong signal).

A cursory internet search turned up these two:
Asus RT-AC68U http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68-Wireless- ... B00FB45SI4
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk ... W82GPGFY4R

Are either of these good for my application? Other recommendations?
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Carpet_pissr

Re: Need a new router....help

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Before replacing it, try using this highly regarded (and hugely popular) open source firmware to run it. Don't have anything to lose, really, and it could actually fix it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index" target="_blank

Alas, mine is doing the same thing as yours, but it's not supported in their huge database of supported models.

Direct link to supported router dbase: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database" target="_blank
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

great thought, but I checked the list of supported routers at DDWRT and the DIR655 is not supported. I think I will swing by bestbuy and have them match amazon.com gold box for the nighthawk router (just happends to be on sale today at amazon). I''ll let you know how it goes.
Now Playing:
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

....duplicate
Now Playing:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Really, you (and me) should have bought on Black Friday or Cyber Monday (or week of) - they had some KILLER deals on routers.

Specifically, this one, which is pretty highly rated (though I prefer ones with antennae meself):

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireles ... ess+router" target="_blank

Or maybe this one if you want N300:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y5RYNY" target="_blank
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Really, you (and me) should have bought on Black Friday or Cyber Monday (or week of) - they had some KILLER deals on routers.

Specifically, this one, which is pretty highly rated (though I prefer ones with antennae meself):

Wow that first one you linked is $50 on amazon. Maybe I should get that. Maybe they have it at bestbuy.
Now Playing:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Enigma wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Really, you (and me) should have bought on Black Friday or Cyber Monday (or week of) - they had some KILLER deals on routers.

Wow that first one you linked is $50 on amazon. Maybe I should get that. Maybe they have it at bestbuy.
Yeah, I won't tell you how low it was about a week ago...:P That's in the past - no need to worry about it now!
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Well the convenience of a price match at bestbuy was too hard to resist so I stopped by and got the net gear nighthawk. And wow, I'm totally impressed so far. Installation was plug and play and it was already configured for wpa2 security. My download speed doubled and signal strength is greatly improved. I can actually watch a show wirelessly on ps3 Netflix now. I hope the days of interrupted signals are gone! I'll update if anything changes but thumbs up so far.
Now Playing:
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Enigma wrote:Well the convenience of a price match at bestbuy was too hard to resist so I stopped by and got the net gear nighthawk. And wow, I'm totally impressed so far. Installation was plug and play and it was already configured for wpa2 security. My download speed doubled and signal strength is greatly improved. I can actually watch a show wirelessly on ps3 Netflix now. I hope the days of interrupted signals are gone! I'll update if anything changes but thumbs up so far.
Just out of curiosity, did you try changing the wireless channel on the old router? You could have been getting interference from any number of things (cordless house phones, neighbor's wifi routers, etc.). If you were also dropping wired connections then a new router was the only choice. If it's only wifi dropping, there could be reasons beyond a bad router.
Black Lives Matter
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I didn't have any wired connections so I don't know if it was just wireless interference or not. If I had the time, I would plug it back in and experiment. But since the Dlink was so old and I really don't have the time or energy toward that kind of troubleshooting, I think I will just be happy with a seamless upgrade. Now, if I start dropping signal with this new one, then I will suspect interference. So far, it's been 100%. Good thought though.
Now Playing:
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I had the same problem you had and replaced my old router with a used airport extreme as for sale here http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all

I got a great deal and it works like a champ.

There was a (mostly one-sided) discussion about it 2 years ago here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=82994

Disregard, as I now see that you already picked one out. I recommend this for all future router seekers though, perhaps it can be sticky pasted to the top of all forums.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i heard good things about this Monoprice router (for the price): http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id= ... 4#feedback" target="_blank , but i would go for one with programmable firmware.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Enigma wrote:Well the convenience of a price match at bestbuy was too hard to resist so I stopped by and got the net gear nighthawk. And wow, I'm totally impressed so far. Installation was plug and play and it was already configured for wpa2 security. My download speed doubled and signal strength is greatly improved. I can actually watch a show wirelessly on ps3 Netflix now. I hope the days of interrupted signals are gone! I'll update if anything changes but thumbs up so far.
Nice! I had that router in my cart but convinced myself I didn't need it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

As I had said in the other thread, my new DSL modem / router is a piece of junk. Modem works great, router is bull****.

If my root hack the router didn't work out I will have to buy a N or AC router. This monoprice one looks pretty darn good...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2" target="_blank
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

3.5 stars in the reviews?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Carpet_pissr wrote:3.5 stars in the reviews?
At half the price of what's commonly in stores of the same specs... I couldn't care less about the 3.5 reviews. I know I probably get what I paid for... though probably get a bit more in Monoprice's case.

edit: complaint seem to concentrate on two things: inability to sustain AV streams like Netflix HD, and apparently overheat issues. I don't stream Netflix or Hulu or such. As for overheat... Hmmm...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I just bought this one FWIW:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y5 ... UTF8&psc=1" target="_blank

Never bought that brand before, so I hope I get at least a year out of it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, I was hesitant to get the AirPort Extreme when I did, but one of the lead engineers was in my wedding party so I went with his recommendation. It has been outstanding.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote:Yeah, I was hesitant to get the AirPort Extreme when I did, but one of the lead engineers was in my wedding party so I went with his recommendation. It has been outstanding.
I have read several recommendations for those, but is there any advantage in terms of coverage, over non-Apple models? They also tend to cost about 2x more than non-Apple stuff (keeping with the Apple trend I guess).

If the hardware is better, or range is better, or hell ANYthing is better (basically any reason OTHER than "because it's Apple"), I will be on board if this one I just bought proves to be craptacular. We only run two Apple products at home currently (2 iPhones), so not sure how that changes the consideration for an Airport (or not).
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:If the hardware is better, or range is better, or hell ANYthing is better (basically any reason OTHER than "because it's Apple"), I will be on board if this one I just bought proves to be craptacular. We only run two Apple products at home currently (2 iPhones), so not sure how that changes the consideration for an Airport (or not).
My friend had many reasons for why it was technically better - related to interoperability and performance. In my case, it dramatically increased the speed of my internet connection, I have significantly faster and more reliable wireless connections, and I have found it better in terms of manageability (although you have to probably be an Apple fan for that to be true).

I don't know how it relates to the sort of routers that you can buy today, as I don't have any of those. But it was hands down better than all the routers I had before it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

TP_link... I have their USB adapter on my ancient XP machine right now, works great (that machine used to have wired LAN, until the LAN port broke). They're like Generic Linksys. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I just bought this one FWIW:
... UTF8&psc=1

Never bought that brand before, so I hope I get at least a year out of it.
Decided to send that one back. It was only $30, but it also wasn't dual band. Amazon had a $10 off coupon on the higher end model (three models above the one I bought!) (same brand), for only $30 more.

Here's the new one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088C ... UTF8&psc=1
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Bought a NetGear N dual-band N600 (WNRD3400V3) at Best Buy for $80. Can't wait to bypass that POS Motorola combo router/modem. It's documented in my other topic.

it has its own problems, but not too bad given what it is.

Decided I don't need the N750 or the fancy shmancy AC routers. Those costs well over 100 and I don't have any AC adapters.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My Netgear N600 gave up the ghost after <1.5 years. Dropped the wireless connection last night, attempted to reset it through a hard power disconnect, and it never came back up. Whee!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Asus N600 RT-N56U

Had this for 2 years. Flawless. Does 1 gig wifi supposedly. I had to get it when my old one was stuck at 30 meg and my new service is 60 meg. I dont need to reboot it either unless Im working on my hardware.

Its cheaper than when I got it also at $45. I think I paid $120 at the time....maybe $90. been 2 years .

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My replacement is an ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router. Got the 2-year extended warranty,as I don't relish the thought of it dying after 18 months like the last one after paying ~$150.

And getting everything set back up is a pain in the ass.

Three phones, PS3, TV, Chromecast, and even the freaking thermostat had to be updated.
It's almost as if people are the problem.