Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by Daehawk »

I run Win7 x64 on my gaming desktop. I will never adopt Win8 on it. That said my wife's laptop has Win8.1 in it but only because it is a touch screen laptop. But even though it is I still installed the Win7 shell to make it look like Win7. I hate when it goes back into that icon look desktop.

Im one of those folk who think companies had it right in the past and prefer the older more usable stuff. Like my FireFox is the newest but I use the old 'classic' app for it so it has square tabs and such. Much prefer it that way. Wish companies would stop trying to 'improve' what isn't broken and simply make it worse.

That Win10 will be a free upgrade is very impressive. I will most likely upgrade that way. Its free plus its not Win9 hehe and they will slowly stop supporting Win7 sometime after Win10 is out so why not upgrade? I am really impressed.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Windows 7 won't hit the official sunset until January 2020.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This thread still cracks me up. So much old man griping. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RunningMn9 wrote:This thread still cracks me up. So much old man griping. :)
Yup.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Everyone thinks Internet Explorer is about to become a second-class citizen in Windows 10, stepping aside for a completely new web browser codenamed "Spartan." This may be true. No matter what, Microsoft will spend time talking through its latest browser offering (which may have Cortana voice integration). There should also be time for demonstrating a new Outlook client.
Now named Edge:
At Microsoft Build, the company announced new features and details for the web browser previously known as Project Spartan. The most notable is the browser's official name, and Spartan will now be known as Microsoft Edge, as it's on the cutting edge of what consumers and creators want to do on the web.

The newest updates to the renamed browser include a new page layout for new tabs, which creates what looks and feels like a customized home page, with links and thumbnails of the websites you visit more frequently, web-based apps you use, and personalized information pulled from Cortana.

Popular extensions for the Chrome and Firefox browsers will also turn up on Edge, as these can now be repurposed for Edge with what Microsoft says are "just a few changes."

Currently, if you want to try the browser previously known by the code-name Spartan, you need to be running the latest build of the Windows 10 technical preview, where its pre-release state is still a work in progress. In our hands-on preview, we said, "a new rendering engine powering all of Spartan's features, and it feels appreciably zippy," but at the same time, "you'll click a link, and nothing will happen. So you'll click it again, and again, and moments later, when you've just about given up hope, several identical tabs spring to life."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seven! Seven versions of Windows 10! Ah! Ah! Ah!
  • Home
  • Mobile
  • Pro
  • Enterprise
  • Mobile Enterprise
  • Education
  • IoT Core
[IoT Core] appears to be the replacement for Windows Embedded and will power smaller connected devices, like gateways. (Larger-scale devices like ATMs and retail point-of-sale devices will run versions of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise, Microsoft says.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I thought the idea was supposed to be One OS to Rule Them All.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In seven flavorful editions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Microsoft will update 10 Mobile directly:
It appears that, if your phone is currently running Windows 10, Microsoft is assuring that you’ll receive all relevant updates. A representative from the company confirmed the announcement to ZDNet, who added:

Microsoft’s Denim update, for example, was announced last September but still isn’t available on AT&T’s Lumia 830, T-Mobile’s Lumia 635, and a handful of other phones. Verizon was the first to release Denim as an over-the-air update, but only after it had continuously rejected the previous (Cyan) update, leaving owners of their flagship Windows Phone device running a badly outdated version.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

About time that they realized that mobile carriers are evil.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not really sure that I agree with the new icon that appeared in my taskbar this morning letting me know I can "Get Windows 10". But apparently it's out on 7/29/15.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Smoove_B wrote:Not really sure that I agree with the new icon that appeared in my taskbar this morning letting me know I can "Get Windows 10". But apparently it's out on 7/29/15.
I got this too. Freaked me the hell out.

I've been kind of out if it, and know nothing about WIndows 10. I'm on 7 and have been fine with it. Is this free upgrade worth doing?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It'll only be free for life for the first year. You may not want to upgrade immediately, but you'd be wise to keep an eye on the calendar.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was toying with the idea of getting a new PC in the Fall, so I'm not 100% sure I'll upgrade my existing one before the transfer occurs. Still, I didn't know about the timer on the upgrade, so that's good information.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Features going away
  1. Windows Media Center
  2. DVD Playback
  3. Desktop Gadgets
  4. Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts
  5. Floppy Drive Support
  6. Windows Essentials' OneDrive Application
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

None of those are a loss for me personally, but I know a few people who would not upgrade just for losing some of those.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Carpet_pissr wrote:None of those are a loss for me personally, but I know a few people who would not upgrade just for losing some of those.
I'm using Windows 8 (it was pre-installed). I won't miss any of those functions, so I will probably move to 10 after I hear enough people saying it is stable.
Conform or be cast out!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One other feature going away (for the HOME edition only, AFAIK):
More annoyingly, perhaps, Microsoft has also changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.
Better not do that for laptops (download automatically). sometimes I'm on a data limited connection...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote:Features going away
  1. Windows Media Center
  2. DVD Playback
yes, i still listen to CDs and watch DVDs on my machine, but i use VLC and foobar2000, so no real loss there. having Windows Media Player would still be useful for my CDs encoded with HDCD. since Microsoft purchased the technology 15 years ago, WMP is the only media playback application that natively supports HDCD decoding. ...i guess i'll try to get the foobar2000 HDCD plugin to work again.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Are they getting rid of Windows media center or Windows media player? I use the media player, but not the center.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Center.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Are they getting rid of Windows media center or Windows media player? I use the media player, but not the center.
It says "DVD Playback" so I assume the answer is both Media Center and the media player are going away. Easy enough to snag your own player, however.
-mf
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

is possible they're putting an end to the WMP branding, but there will be something to replace it if so. double-click an .AAC/.MP3/.WMA/.WMV/etc. file or insert a music CD and then what happens? open Sound Recorder? web browser? "Windows could not find a supported application for this file extension"? going the Playstation 4 route would be a funny thing to see.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:Center.
It's center, people. Really. :) Player is still there. I'm looking at it--a new version, no less.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Not really sure that I agree with the new icon that appeared in my taskbar this morning letting me know I can "Get Windows 10". But apparently it's out on 7/29/15.
Glad it's legit. When I first saw it and the offer the first thing I thought was "STRANGER DANGER!" and wondered if it was some crafty trap.

That said I think I'll take my chances and not "reserve my copy". I think they won't run out (and it will probably be more stable after a few weeks).
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hey, did you hear Windows 10 is taking out Internet Explorer.... oh
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I haven't gotten any proactive alerts about it, but then again, I have all Win updates disabled.

I have a laptop and 2nd computer that barely gets used...I might experiment with Win 10 on one of those (they both run Win 7 - laptop is 32-bit and PC is 64-bit).
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Pyperkub wrote:Better not do that for laptops (download automatically). sometimes I'm on a data limited connection...
I've been using 10 for a few months now and this absolutely was an issue. I did find out that you can set your connection to "metered" and it will stop the updates. It's certainly not ideal, but it turns a deal-breaker into merely an annoyance.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I trust the OS to work. I don't trust all of my old programs and hardware to work with the new OS. I'll probably upgrade my gaming desktop and see how that goes before I upgrade my business laptop.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

After using 8.1 on my mobile laptop for a while now, I'm okay with change.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I want the most secure OS possible. Two factor authentication is baked in, so I'm on board.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bing-subsidized version
A leaked Intel slide purporting to show a product roadmap includes a mention of “Win 10 W/Bing.” Unless the company is deliberately trying to be irksome, that’s a decent confirmation that the “with Bing” program will persist. I’ve asked Microsoft for comment on the matter, and have pinged Intel concerning the veracity of the slides in question.

Windows 8.1 with Bing, confirmed last March, costs either very little or nothing to PC manufacturers. The code is designed for smaller tablets and devices that sell at lower price points. Why sell Windows for free? If Microsoft applied the regular cost of Windows to small computers, they would be completely uncompetitive in the market.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I'd love for an update to start right in the middle of a sim race...
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm running on the RTM code for 10, and so far everything has been fine. Game performance isn't noticeably different, my hardware all works, and the display scaling seems better. So far, I'm happy with it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All clear here, as well.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Has anybody by any chance run Win 10 with an old version of Quickbooks? If QB 2009 chokes on it that would be a mortal wound for my business machine. Is there some tool that looks at your installed software for incompatibilities?
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'm curious as to how to prep for the upgrade. I've got two decades worth of pictures, data, games, etc. and while I have a cloud backup, I don't want to have to download 300+ gigs of data that was already on my machine. :?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kelric wrote:I'm curious as to how to prep for the upgrade. I've got two decades worth of pictures, data, games, etc. and while I have a cloud backup, I don't want to have to download 300+ gigs of data that was already on my machine. :?
If you're on 7 or 8.1, you can do an in-place upgrade and keep it all.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yep. I've tested in-place upgrades from two 8.1 boxes and a clean install and the in-place upgrades had no issues with missing items or data loss. Of course, if you are having problems with your current machine and want to do a clean install, I'd make a copy of your data to an external hard drive. After you nuke your box and reload, copy the data back.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Will Windows 10 prove a winner for Microsoft?
However, one issue that may have deterred consumers has been addressed. Microsoft caused controversy when it suggested people using the Home version of its system would have to add new features as they became available. Matters were not helped when it explicitly said businesses would be able to wait until "quality and application compatibility has been assessed in the consumer market". That led some bloggers to accuse Microsoft of treating the public like "guinea pigs".

But on the eve of Windows 10's release, Microsoft told the BBC it had added an option to defer all Home Edition updates, security fixes aside. There remains, however, an incentive to buy the Pro or Enterprise versions, as their owners will be able to control which specific features are added.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch