Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by Z-Corn »

Which is the "Official" thread?

My wife's PC and my gaming PC are installing the update as I type this...I won't have time to check it out until after work...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on whether or not you think it's a bargain. :)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Isgrimnur wrote:Depends on whether or not you think it's a bargain. :)
I'm sticking to R&P.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Looks like launch day patches are two: one security update and one 'update for Windows 10.' Still build 10240.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I've been running it for a couple of weeks and it seems to work pretty well. My biggest worry was games and I expect now that it is becoming widespread those issues should start seeing attention by the smarter users. For example, Borderlands the Pre-Sequel seems to have some issue with SLI (graphics cards both report 1% utilization the whole time and only one card is probably being used) and Mafia won't run in fullscreen so I am playing it in a 1600x900 window.

Maybe someone here can help with this other issue - it seems some drivers are not working and I get popups at startup, but there is no information on which drivers. Is there a way to determine which drivers are generating the errors? I tried looking at the event viewer but did find anything after a cursory glance.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Welp, I've accidentally upgraded to Win10. I thought I was fixing an issue with the pre-load, but apparently the workaround I followed was to start the actual installation. :)

My very first impression was not positive. The upgrade didn't install a video driver -- I had to do that manually. Aside from that, I haven't encountered any disasters. Yet...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Max Peck wrote:Welp, I've accidentally upgraded to Win10. I thought I was fixing an issue with the pre-load, but apparently the workaround I followed was to start the actual installation. :)

My very first impression was not positive. The upgrade didn't install a video driver -- I had to do that manually. Aside from that, I haven't encountered any disasters. Yet...
You have 30 days to go back if you'd like. I believe it's in the software update panel.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Teggy wrote:
Max Peck wrote:Welp, I've accidentally upgraded to Win10. I thought I was fixing an issue with the pre-load, but apparently the workaround I followed was to start the actual installation. :)

You have 30 days to go back if you'd like. I believe it's in the software update panel.
It shouldn't be an problem. I had planned to update the OS alongside a hardware upgrade that is scheduled for tomorrow, and let my tech deal with it, but since I didn't manage to brick the system today I'll stick with it unless some serious issues crop up within the 30-day limit.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
naednek

Post by naednek »

So I have it reserved, but so far no notification it's ready. I heard they are releasing in waves. I'm hoping I can get it today.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Krebs
Starting today, Microsoft is offering most Windows 7 and Windows 8 users a free upgrade to the software giant’s latest operating system — Windows 10. But there’s a very important security caveat that users should know about before transitioning to the new OS: Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends!

This brilliant new feature, which Microsoft has dubbed Wi-Fi Sense, doesn’t share your WiFi network password per se — it shares an encrypted version of that password. But it does allow anyone in your Skype or Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists to waltz onto your Wi-Fi network — should they ever wander within range of it or visit your home (or hop onto it secretly from hundreds of yards away with a good ‘ole cantenna!).
The company says your contacts will only be able to share your network access, and that Wi-Fi Sense will block those users from accessing any other shared resources on your network, including computers, file shares or other devices. But these words of assurance probably ring hollow for anyone who’s been paying attention to security trends over the past few years: Given the myriad ways in which social networks and associated applications share and intertwine personal connections and contacts, it’s doubtful that most people are aware of who exactly all of their social network followers really are from one day to the next.
Microsoft’s solution for those concerned requires users to change the name (a.k.a. “SSID“) of their Wi-Fi network to include the text “_optout” somewhere in the network name (for example, “oldnetworknamehere_optout”).
While you’re at it, consider keeping Google off your Wi-Fi network as well. It’s unclear whether the Wi-Fi Sense opt-out kludge will also let users opt-out of having their wireless network name indexed by Google, which requires the inclusion of the phrase “_nomap” in the Wi-Fi network name. The Register seems to think Windows 10 upgraders can avoid each by including both “_nomap” and “_optout” in the Wi-Fi network name, but this article at How-To Geek says users will need to choose the lesser of two evils.

Either way, Wi-Fi Sense combined with integrated Google mapping tells people where you live (and/or where your business is), meaning that they now know where to congregate to jump onto your Wi-Fi network without your permission.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I might just be an idiot, but I've still never seen an upgrade icon in my system tray. Am I looking in the wrong place? Do I need something turned on before I can see that option? Why does Microsoft hate me?????
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

naednek wrote:So I have it reserved, but so far no notification it's ready. I heard they are releasing in waves. I'm hoping I can get it today.
Check your update history. I had 2 failed attempts to download the update prior to this morning.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I might just be an idiot, but I've still never seen an upgrade icon in my system tray. Am I looking in the wrong place? Do I need something turned on before I can see that option? Why does Microsoft hate me?????
The update that enabled the Win10 upgrade wasn't pushed out as important. I know at least one person who never installed it until a couple of days ago because he wasn't installing optional/recommended updates for some reason. The pertinent update was KB3035583, and it should have been available back around 1 Jun.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Max Peck wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I might just be an idiot, but I've still never seen an upgrade icon in my system tray. Am I looking in the wrong place? Do I need something turned on before I can see that option? Why does Microsoft hate me?????
The update that enabled the Win10 upgrade wasn't pushed out as important. I know at least one person who never installed it until a couple of days ago because he wasn't installing optional/recommended updates for some reason. The pertinent update was KB3035583, and it should have been available back around 1 Jun.
I have the system set to install all updates automatically. But looking through my update history, I don't see that specific update listed. And when I try to search for updates, it tells me there are no updates currently available. :?:
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What version and edition of Windows are you on?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

8.1, 64-bit version. I just manually installed the update listed above but I still don't see the upgrade icon. :(
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WAEFR
Spoiler:
When all else fails, reboot.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote:WAEFR
Spoiler:
When all else fails, reboot.
I did! Still nothing. I am doomed to an eternity of Windows 8.1...
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alright, I'll bite. Have you tried my link?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon wrote:Alright, I'll bite. Have you tried my link?
Not yet since I'm at work, plus they do give this caveat:
Note: We’ve only tested this with a computer that had a copy reserved; we don’t expect it would work if you haven’t reserved a copy of Windows 10 for the computer you’re upgrading.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The comments confirm it'll work regardless of reservation.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Alright, I'll bite. Have you tried my link?
Not yet since I'm at work, plus they do give this caveat:
Note: We’ve only tested this with a computer that had a copy reserved; we don’t expect it would work if you haven’t reserved a copy of Windows 10 for the computer you’re upgrading.
You could try this (found here).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not read this thread so it may have been posted but theres a video out there that shows Win 10 corrupts Nvidia drivers and to hold off on updating to 10.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Doh! :doh:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also had the failed update error in my Windows Update history (if you aren't getting notification, check there.) I found this solution online and tried it:
Go to: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Delete everything

Then run this command in start>cmd wuauclt.exe /updatenow
It started the update immediately. I've spent the last couple of hours backing up my photos and such across the network - just in case. Now I'm going in. Wish me luck.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Daehawk wrote:Not read this thread so it may have been posted but theres a video out there that shows Win 10 corrupts Nvidia drivers and to hold off on updating to 10.
When Win10 first came up it was using default Windows video drivers but after a reboot it loaded with updated drivers for my 970. Seems fine although I haven't tried a game yet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently both NVidia and AMD released new video drivers today for Windows 10 64-bit, FWIW.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Smoove_B wrote:Apparently both NVidia and AMD released new video drivers today for Windows 10 64-bit, FWIW.
Yep, check GeForce and get the latest driver, life will be much much better.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote:Not read this thread so it may have been posted but theres a video out there that shows Win 10 corrupts Nvidia drivers and to hold off on updating to 10.
I'm running 10 with dual 780 in SLI and the drivers are just peachy as far as I can tell.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, worst case it should pull the current driver after initial Win10 boot, reboot again, and be all set.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote:I also had the failed update error in my Windows Update history (if you aren't getting notification, check there.) I found this solution online and tried it:
Go to: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Delete everything

Then run this command in start>cmd wuauclt.exe /updatenow
It started the update immediately. I've spent the last couple of hours backing up my photos and such across the network - just in case. Now I'm going in. Wish me luck.
This is what I did. Just be aware that it is going to run the installer, not just download the update.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Zaxxon wrote:Yeah, worst case it should pull the current driver after initial Win10 boot, reboot again, and be all set.
In my case, the Win10 upgrade didn't install an nvidia driver. I just ran the GeForce Experience app, it detected that I was running Win10, installed the appropriate driver, and reported an error. After a reboot, the driver was properly installed.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Mine is an AMD, so perhaps MS and Nvidia have some coordination to work on.
BCarle

Post by BCarle »

Well Windows 10 upgrade says my GTX 965M display is not compatible. I downloaded the latest nvidia driver 353.62 and still not compatible. I contacted msi so hopefully i will hear something.

MSI GS70 Stealth-280 Laptop

Operating System: Windows® 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Memory: 16GB
Display: 17.3” FHD Screen
Storage Drive: 1TB + 128GB SSD
Graphics: GTX 965M 2GB

Follow up note:
The funny thing was just the day before it said my system was all set for the upgrade.

bob
Last edited by BCarle on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some good, some bad. No major problems. That's good.

Using some features requires signing in with a Microsoft account. I'm fine with that. The problem is, if you sign in with a Microsoft account, it forces your real name onto everything - the welcome screen, the start menu, etc. I really, really dislike this. I've used a handle for my accounts for a very long time, and really dislike not being able to do so.

Also, when you sign in with your Microsoft account for the first time, read the warnings very carefully. It wasn't entirely clear that I was also setting the lock screen password to the Microsoft account password, which I don't know by heart.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I may have found the problem. For some reason, my computer isn't showing Windows update kb2976978 as installed which apparently is necessary for the upgrade icon to show up. However, when I check for updates I am told that there aren't any updates to download. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to manually install that update. :?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Since you're coming from 8, you can just download the ISO, right-click to mount it, and run the upgrade from there. No need to burn or copy to USB.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ah cool. I'll give that a shot this weekend after I've had time to back everything up. Thanks.
Black Lives Matter