Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

em2nought wrote:So, if I just close the window that offers me an upgrade from 7 to 10 am I good, or will my computer start upgrading to the all seeing all knowing Windows 10 anyway? Is there something you must do if you want your PC to stay in Windows 7? Thanks for any feedback.
The easiest way to get rid of the unwanted Windows 10 solicitations and ensure you aren't force-fed any further unwanted Windows 10-related updates is to use the free GWX Control Panel mentioned earlier in thread.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
em2nought wrote:So, if I just close the window that offers me an upgrade from 7 to 10 am I good, or will my computer start upgrading to the all seeing all knowing Windows 10 anyway? Is there something you must do if you want your PC to stay in Windows 7? Thanks for any feedback.
The easiest way to get rid of the unwanted Windows 10 solicitations and ensure you aren't force-fed any further unwanted Windows 10-related updates is to use the free GWX Control Panel mentioned earlier in thread.
Thanks, that's what I did along with a few other steps mentioned here http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to- ... matically/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I actually want to get around to upgrading to 10. I tried back when it first released, but doing an in-place upgrade resulted in my network adapter not working, so I rolled back to Win 8.1 after a few hours of failed troubleshooting. I've been hesitant to try again because I don't feel like the hassle of doing a backup and clean install.

But, with the window for a free upgrade closing, I might have to bite the bullet, try the in-place again, then be ready to do a clean install if it sucks again. Boo.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
KDH

Post by KDH »

The Spybot Search & Destroy folks have a small app that will disable all of the spying for win10 .. and better yet .. will re-enable your choices on every re-boot, so that any forced\pushed win10 update does not re-set these switches to the MS defaults (as they DO)

spybot-anti-beacon
YouTube Dude Demonstrating (jump to 8:35)

Blackhawk wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: If you go to Settings and then search for "control panel" in the search box, it will come up. All of the old favorites are there, Device Manager, Sounds, Admin tools, etc. Annoyingly, however, I haven't found a way to pin Control Panel to the start menu or taskbar.
Click the search box in the taskbar, search for Control Panel. Right click it, "Pin to Start".

Control panel is found in the ... All Apps / Windows System Folder
Ain't nobody got time for that
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Can I simply delete windows.old? That's 35 gig I'd like back.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you aren't planning to revert, then yes, although the correct way is through the disk cleanup utility.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

KDH wrote:The Spybot Search & Destroy folks have a small app that will disable all of the spying for win10 .. and better yet .. will re-enable your choices on every re-boot, so that any forced\pushed win10 update does not re-set these switches to the MS defaults (as they DO)

spybot-anti-beacon
YouTube Dude Demonstrating (jump to 8:35)
Blackhawk wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: If you go to Settings and then search for "control panel" in the search box, it will come up. All of the old favorites are there, Device Manager, Sounds, Admin tools, etc. Annoyingly, however, I haven't found a way to pin Control Panel to the start menu or taskbar.
Click the search box in the taskbar, search for Control Panel. Right click it, "Pin to Start".
Control panel is found in the ... All Apps / Windows System Folder
I'm happy that companies are finding ways to prevent Microsoft from corrupting user experience (in my view) for their own ends, but remain extremely dismayed that this is an issue at all.

That said - it might be time for me to move forward from Windows 7 into 10. Reluctantly.

I imagine that Microsoft will continue to wage war on their own customers and keep trying to regain control of the PC from you, and you'll have to keep finding new ways around their foolishness.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm happy that gaming on Linux is becoming increasingly viable...
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

my wife's Windows 10 laptop keeps losing the Start Button function. Computer is only 4 months old. Came preinstalled with 10.

I went through the fixes on the internet and it seemed to fix it then last night it did it again. I restarted and the function worked again but it is frustrating.

I have a few months left to upgrade from WIn7 to 10 for free and I really do not want to do it but worry how that will limit me in the future.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It happens non-stop on my Win10 laptop and is beyond frustrating. I too have tried every solution offered (other than reinstalling) and nothing works. Then randomly the start button works...30 minutes later, it doesn't. I think I did fix the random black screen problem by disabling fast (or quick?) start. F Windows 10 so much.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Alas, it seems to be a fairly common problem with upgrade installations, and nothing short of a clean reinstall appears to reliably fix it. Otherwise, it's a matter of trying one of the myriad possible solutions until you're fortunate enough to find one that works (this thread on TenForums.com covers the vast majority of 'em).

One would hope they'll get it fixed for good with the upcoming Anniversary Build, given its supposed focus on the task bar.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been running Win10 on multiple machines for months. I started with one system to test the waters, but ended upgrading all but one system here, plus systems I help others with to 10. It is only four systems, but I've been very happy with it so far. No major issues other than a few annoyances (and that comes with any change of OS.)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I've got the no-Win-10-apps-launch problem now. Was only really using the calculator. Had to install a free one.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Now some right clicks in folders will crash and restart File Explorer, especially in Quick Access.
I have but one advocate.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote:It happens non-stop on my Win10 laptop and is beyond frustrating. I too have tried every solution offered (other than reinstalling) and nothing works. Then randomly the start button works...30 minutes later, it doesn't. I think I did fix the random black screen problem by disabling fast (or quick?) start. F Windows 10 so much.
The one time I had a problem with the start button, it turned out to be a corrupt user account. Creating a new user fixed it for me, but YMMV.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That was actually the first suggestion someone made. When I set up the laptop I didn't realize connecting it to a Microsoft account was optional (the opt-out / skip it text is super tiny). He created a new non-Microsoft linked profile (which I now use) but the problem persists. Incidentally, that fixed my LAN networking issues but the Start button problem lingers. I'd do a full reinstall but I'm afraid it will end badly. It's an MSI laptop and everything came installed and ready to go. I should probably look into it because it's annoying as all get-out.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This may be poor advice, but some of you may want to consider joining the Windows Insider program before giving up on 10. In my experience the beta builds have been quite reliable with workable lists of known issues, and a lot of this crap has likely been resolved.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I've got three systems with Windows 10 on them with nary a problem. I'm pretty sure I did two upgrades and a clean install. It never occurred to me to not login with my Microsoft account. I've never not been able to login.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

RunningMn9 wrote:I've got three systems with Windows 10 on them with nary a problem. I'm pretty sure I did two upgrades and a clean install. It never occurred to me to not login with my Microsoft account. I've never not been able to login.
Indeed. I've got two work machines and four home devices all logging in with different accounts with no issues. When using a Microsoft account it caches the correct password so that I can log in offline, on an airplane, etc. Autologin with Windows Hello using facial recognition on my Surface Book is like goddamned magic.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is pretty esoteric and I doubt that you can help, but I've spent a couple of hours troubleshooting and am about to give up, so what the hell.

When I upgraded to Win 10 QuickBooks Pro 2009 lost the ability to save forms as PDFs, which it must do to email or print them. Not a function I use a lot, but one I really need when I need it.

I've tried multiple troubleshooting sites that all walked me through variations on reinstalling the Quickbooks PDF Converter and reverting the Microsoft XPS Document Writer to Win 7 drivers. That has failed time and again. I also have CutePDF Writer and Microsoft Print to PDF virtual printers installed, but I can't trick Quickbooks into using those.

The error messages are: "Printer not activated, error code -20" (a MS error box), followed by Intuit Printer Library "Could not print to printer. Check your printer selection. Printing may have been canceled from another program." Setting the Quickbooks PDF Converter as the default printer does not help, nor does setting any of the other PDF writers or the MS XPS Doc Writer as the default. Then I get a QuickBooks Message: "Problem - Your forms were not sent because QB could not create the necessary PDF files," followed by a "solution" that doesn't work (exit and try again).

I've come across some references to a PDF repair tool from Intuit. I can't find that...but the consensus is that it doesn't work anyway.

Ultimately I'll have to upgrade to Quickbooks 2016, but I can't afford to do that now. Any ideas on how to trick QB into using one of my existing PDF converters, or possibly getting one from Intuit that's compatible with Win 10? Several users complained that Intuit Support charged them $60 to recommend that they upgrade QB.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote:Any ideas on how to trick QB into using one of my existing PDF converters, or possibly getting one from Intuit that's compatible with Win 10? Several users complained that Intuit Support charged them $60 to recommend that they upgrade QB.
While it's more of a kludge than solution, I'd suggest installing a free Windows 10-compatible virtual PDF printer, such as Bullzip PDF printer.

You should then be able to 'print' the relevant document(s) from Quickbooks as if you were printing a hard copy, and just choose the Bullzip PDF printer to save as a PDF.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Kraken wrote:Any ideas on how to trick QB into using one of my existing PDF converters, or possibly getting one from Intuit that's compatible with Win 10? Several users complained that Intuit Support charged them $60 to recommend that they upgrade QB.
While it's more of a kludge than solution, I'd suggest installing a free Windows 10-compatible virtual PDF printer, such as Bullzip PDF printer.

You should then be able to 'print' the relevant document(s) from Quickbooks as if you were printing a hard copy, and just choose the Bullzip PDF printer to save as a PDF.
QB will not print a hard copy without converting to PDF first. If I open a purchase order and choose Print, I get the same series of error messages. Going to File/Printer Setup lets me assign CutePDF Writer (or MS Print to PDF, or MS XPS Document Writer, or Bullzip, or one of my physical printers) to POs; ticking the "To be printed" box makes the PO show up in a list that I can access from File/Print Forms/Purchase Orders (where I just told QB which printer to use in the previous step), but it still fails to print with the same damned error messages. QB insists on converting the form to a PDF before it will print to a PDF converter...and that conversion always fails.

I gather from the help pages that I've consulted that the QuickBooks PDF Converter uses the XPS Document Writer in the conversion, but reverting that to the Win 7 driver still didn't work although some users say that it does.

Never had any problems with this under Win 7 or XP. It is vexing.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote:QB insists on converting the form to a PDF before it will print to a PDF converter...and that conversion always fails.

I gather from the help pages that I've consulted that the QuickBooks PDF Converter uses the XPS Document Writer in the conversion, but reverting that to the Win 7 driver still didn't work although some users say that it does.
In that case, it sounds like you're well and truly up the proverbial creek o' cack, sans paddle.

If all else fails, you could try setting up a virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox) with an older version of Windows. Then you should be able to run Quickbooks on that older version of Windows within a window on your Win 10 system.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I will likely just buy a new version of QB before I need to use that function. I figured I'd have to upgrade sooner or later...I guess it's going to be sooner. I've already spent two fruitless hours trying suggested fixes and I am done unless someone has a new flash of insight.

Curio City basically consists of a shopping cart, a SQL database, QuickBooks, and some Excel files. Upgrading one of those after seven years isn't too outrageous. It just pisses me off because QB's print/email function is the only thing that broke beyond repair and I'm too deeply in debt to fix it right now.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

aka 'why you often see businesses using long-out-of-date operating systems/software'
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote:aka 'why you often see businesses using long-out-of-date operating systems/software'
A motel where we stay in the Berkshires still uses a DOS-based reservation system, complete with green-text-on-black CRT monitor and dot-matrix printer. It meets its owner's needs, so why fiddle with it?

If I had it to do over I would not upgrade my laptop. Everything was hunky-dory in Win 7 so why fiddle with it? I'll almost surely replace the machine before OS support becomes an issue.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Kraken wrote:... Everything was hunky-dory in Win 7 so why fiddle with it? I'll almost surely replace the machine before OS support becomes an issue.
That's pretty much my reasoning for sticking with Win7. It's been on this rig for 6 years now, and doesn't give me any trouble, so why push my luck? If it ain't broken... And if this rig makes it a couple more years or longer, so much the better.

In any case, I know my next rig will come with Win10, so I'll deal with it at that time. I'm notorious for waiting several years before finally making the switch anyway, so I'm used to it. Gosh, I think I waited like 5 years before I finally switched from 98SE to XP.

The only downside will be for you guys, when I pop up in a few years asking basic questions about Win10 that everyone else will already know the answers to by second nature. I'll probably be called a luddite a few times, but I'm already used to that. ;)

Best wishes to you, Kraken. I certainly don't envy your position, when your entire business is at the mercy of all these arcane changes.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I were you, since I know nothing about running an online business. Aren't there maybe places set up that would handle all of this complicated stuff for you for a (hopefully small) fee? What with everything you've gone through recently, I'd think it would be worth it...unless of course such an outfit does not exist...or if they do exist, their fees are too high. In that case, you're just in an unenviable position, and I wish I knew more so I could help with advice.

I know that my employer is currently dealing with a ton of these problems (not necessarily Win10 problems), but rather just a huge number of tech problems regarding the massive switch we recently made converting all of our buses to tablet-dispatch and mounting 6 cameras in each bus so they can download video and audio from each bus wirelessly on demand, and also GPS locators on each of our 25 buses, so they can monitor our individual speed and location. It cost my boss over a million dollars (rumored) to do all this, and I cannot for the life of me understand how he expects to retrieve all that money in "increased efficiency" as he puts it. And we don't even have to deal with credit cards at all!

In short, technology for personal use is actually usually relatively reasonable in cost, whereas technology for small business can be totally off the chart in relation to income. I'm actually sort of glad I no longer own my own business, and no longer need to deal with that shit.

When I was running my own business, I did use a little credit card machine (after years of resisting, but caved due to extreme customer demand), and between the fees for using it, and the extra bookwork for my little shop, it drove me a little bonkers at times. And your situation sounds a bit more complicated than mine, so I can sympathize in a small way. I don't miss those days. I sincerely hope you can get it all sorted out soon. But I'm confident that once you do get it sorted, you'll be fine...at least until the next upgrade you're forced to make. ;)

(sorry for rambling)
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh, this is small beer compared to some of the tech issues that come my way, especially as regards payment processing. Go to my blog and click the "reasons to hate banks" subject tag, then read the "PayPal is trying to kill me" series of posts, if you're interested and have time to kill. I'm still not out of the woods on that one.

Bust my britches: The Intuit repair tool actually worked! It spewed error messages left and right while it was running (can't find files! path invalid! etc), but I can now save forms as PDFs using CutePDF. It looked like the main thing the tool did was replace the MS XPS driver, which I'd already done manually a couple of times without satisfaction. Some gobbledygook about restarting the print spooler also scrolled by, so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows?

Funny thing is that I found scores of scornful comments about Intuit's tool and piles of praise for manually manipulating that XPS driver. My results were the exact opposite.

Computers are just weird that way.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I'm doing some online training that believe it or not only behaves by default in Edge, but why on earth does Edge periodically reset all changed settings? Like every week or so?
I have but one advocate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

JetFred wrote:I'm doing some online training that believe it or not only behaves by default in Edge
is it Windows 10 online training? i can't imagine it being that way for anything else.
Kraken wrote: Bust my britches: The Intuit repair tool actually worked! It spewed error messages left and right while it was running (can't find files! path invalid! etc), but I can now save forms as PDFs using CutePDF. It looked like the main thing the tool did was replace the MS XPS driver, which I'd already done manually a couple of times without satisfaction. Some gobbledygook about restarting the print spooler also scrolled by, so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows?

Funny thing is that I found scores of scornful comments about Intuit's tool and piles of praise for manually manipulating that XPS driver. My results were the exact opposite.
this is a good reminder to always exhaust the obvious solutions first - even if they seem too obvious to work.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote:
JetFred wrote:I'm doing some online training that believe it or not only behaves by default in Edge
is it Windows 10 online training? i can't imagine it being that way for anything else.
Kraken wrote: Bust my britches: The Intuit repair tool actually worked! It spewed error messages left and right while it was running (can't find files! path invalid! etc), but I can now save forms as PDFs using CutePDF. It looked like the main thing the tool did was replace the MS XPS driver, which I'd already done manually a couple of times without satisfaction. Some gobbledygook about restarting the print spooler also scrolled by, so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows?

this is a good reminder to always exhaust the obvious solutions first - even if they seem too obvious to work.
I only ran it when I unexpectedly found it sitting in my downloads folder. I had given up on finding it after a brief effort, but some link that I clicked obviously worked. Which is a good reminder to always click on random links, because you never know when one might work. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still use Win 7 x64 and Ive had updates turned off for about a year. Dont see any Win 10 crap and dont get their forced update . But Win 10 stops being free July 29th and Im wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get it. Its on the wife's laptop and I fucking hate it. But I dont fool with but off and on so maybe Im wrong. Is it ok?...like compared to older Windows?

Like I said it stops being free July 29th and they say it will be $112 after that. Ive seen it online for $20 and its always $29. So Im wondering if I should go ahead and get it free or keep holding onto Win 7. Being non updated its still fine but I worry about the future of it. I want all my games to keep working. With her Win 10 I cant get browsers to work right or the desktop to look right or anything. But as I say I dont mess wit hit in depth.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Is it ok?...like compared to older Windows?
If only we had a thread where you could see other people's experiences....

I like it well enough after installing Classic Start Menu. The UI in general is inferior to Win 7 if you're a mouse/keyboard user -- most of the changes favor touchscreen users -- but the OS itself is faster and probably more secure. I had some very minor incompatibilities on two machines and managed to solve all of them...but I don't have a huge game library. Don't like the Edge browser at all but I don't need to use it very often.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There will never be a time when all of your games work. I have games that were released for 98/XP that won't work in Win7 or 10. That doesn't mean I'm going to go back to Windows 98 just to play them. Hell, I have had games I couldn't play because they wouldn't play nice with a modern monitor or video card.

What will happen - eventually - is that you'll find new games you can't play because they don't support the older OS, programs that you use that stop being supported on it, and if your updates have been off for a year, you have already compromised your security. It doesn't mean anyone's done anything about it, but you have left your front door wide open.

The point is that you can't realistically hang onto the old version forever. Eventually you will have to upgrade. For those very few games that will run under 7 but not 10 (and I have yet to find even one), you can look into saving your spare parts to build an offline XP machine down the road just for them, or eventually a version of DOSBox will come out for older Windows versions.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Windows 10 is fine. If you have Windows 8 there is no good reason not to upgrade as it is an improvement.

If you have Windows 7 I wouldn't bother with the upgrade unless you know for sure you will still want to use that PC in 2020.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or play DirectX 12 games on it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

read an anonymous comment from a purported Microsoft employee on Slashdot that the plan (internally) is to keep offering Win10 for free for current Win 7/8 users, even after the deadline. 'expect an announcement in July'
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

As hard as they've been pushing it, I'm guessing they will continue offering it for free. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Me, I'm waiting until I buy my next computer in a year or two. My current rig works just fine with Win7, so I have no real motivation to upgrade.

And Daehawk, just use GWX, as others have already mentioned. I'm using it, and it does a terrific job. No more nagging to upgrade, plus I still get all of my Windows updates just like before. Nothing to it; just install and configure to your liking - just a few check boxes for what you want or don't want. Took me about one minute for the whole procedure, including the download and install. Tiny program.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I just did my upgrade from 8.1 > 10 yesterday. I tried doing an upgrade install last August, but the network port driver wouldn't work under 10, so I rolled that back (surprisingly painless), then procrastinated. Finally did a clean install, and it went way smoother than expected. All the drivers worked out of the gate without needing me to update anything besides the video card driver. So far, so good, and I was surprised that, for the first time ever, sleep mode actually seems to work as intended.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds