Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by RunningMn9 »

Wish me luck. I got some upgrades for my laptop including a 500GB SSD to act as my primary drive instead of the slow ass 5400 rpm drive it came with. Rather than migrating the data (and the associated 24-month bloat), I'm just installing Win 10 cleanly to the SSD. I don't have a product key (it was a free upgrade from 8 to 10), so hopefully the activation process knows what to do. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Enough

Post by Enough »

Good luck, we're all counting on you. :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It never even asked about activation, it was just activated when I reinstalled. Nice.

The SSD boots insanely fast. The only annoying thing is that the old drive was divided into like 8 partitions, and I am not allowed to delete all of them. There is about 600 MB of empty space at the start of that drive, then a 300 MB EFI System Partition, and then a bunch of recovery partitions and the two data partitions that were on the drive when I bought the laptop.

I was able to nuke everything after the EFI System partition, but can't figure out how to get that deleted. I tried to delete is using DISKPART, but I was rejected. All told, its' only 1GB, so I'll just let it go. :)
Make up bags of change
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

RunningMn9 wrote:I was able to nuke everything after the EFI System partition, but can't figure out how to get that deleted. I tried to delete is using DISKPART, but I was rejected. All told, its' only 1GB, so I'll just let it go. :)
Here y'go: How to Remove an EFI System Partition or GPT Protective Partition From a Drive in Windows
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

As noted above, that didn't work. ;)

It's possible that it's still being used, even though I did a clean install to the other drive. I have no idea. I'll live without the 1GB of space. :)
Make up bags of change
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Okay please solve this one.

I've been having intermittent failure of my internet connection on my Windows 10 desktop. I've had wireless devices kick on and off before and I think I've got that as stable as it's gonna get with this wireless router, but this problem was different because the wireless would be working and the wired would not. I tried physically plugging into different ports on my wireless router and it didn't help, but a restart usually would.

Today the restart stopped working. Wireless devices in the house are as stable as ever (on one now), but nothing I do will get the desktop connected. I tried plugging straight into the desktop from the cable modem, which would show me if it was the router or the cable, and it didn't work. I tried turning on the wireless instead, which I've never done on the desktop, and it didn't work. I killed ZoneAlarm and Malwarebytes Antimalware. I thought about what changed today and I did update my nVidia drivers, so I uninstalled and let Windows install the driver, which was one version older than the one today. Didn't work.

When I try the wired network adapter, I just get the red X that it's not working. When I try the wireless adapter, I get "no internet, secured" as if it's connected successfully but not working. I googled that situation and got all kinds of suggestions that I either didn't understand or that didn't work. All Windows diagnostic will say is that there may be something wrong with the network adapter driver. The woman at Charter was surprisingly knowledgeable and came to the conclusion that it was a computer problem, not modem, router, or internet service. So I finally went to Wal-Mart and bought a $30 Belkin USB wireless adapter to try (unfortunately with no promise to work on Windows 10, although they have added a driver for 8 that I'm about to try). Same thing, "no internet, secured".

Help.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was just having a problem with my Win10 laptop and it was the Ethernet card that needed updated drivers. I have no idea what changed over the last 6 months (it's primarily used with a wireless connection) but sure enough I let Win10 "look for a solution" and it found new(er) drivers and updated them. After that, it worked flawlessly. RM9 had a similar problem but I think his was tied to running a virtual machine. You'd need him to explain how it was resolved.

Your problem doesn't sound exactly like ours but I can say that my wireless was working flawlessly; my wired was not and it was ultra confusing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Pretend I'm dumb and tell me another way to let Windows look for a solution other than telling properties or device manager to look for an updated driver, because it just tells me the best is already installed, and reinstalling doesn't work (nor disabling/enabling neither).
I have but one advocate.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I had this happen a couple of times on Win 7 desktop so I don't know if it could be similar (apparently it's worse on Win 8 but seems to happen on all versions). Basically from what I gathered, network adapter "forgets" some sort of setting, and even uninstalling and reinstalling it doesn't help. The only thing that worked for sure was to power off the computer for at least an hour (last time I left it overnight). Not just turn it off but either unplug the power cable or flip the manual power switch on the back of the PCU. Somehow it forces the adapter to reset itself.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Do you have multiple network cards installed? I had a very specific problem with a very specific game, where I had to disable the networking card associated with VirtualBox's virtual network driver.
Make up bags of change
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I haven't physically pulled the wireless card or the ethernet card, but I've disabled both, either, the USB one, every combination. No virtual machine or anything odd. I'll try the power off tonight, but should that really be any different than a true power reset where you hit the power-up button repeatedly while off to drain the residual power?
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

RunningMn9 wrote:
As noted above, that didn't work. ;)

It's possible that it's still being used, even though I did a clean install to the other drive. I have no idea. I'll live without the 1GB of space. :)
Sorry, I overlooked that. In that case, using the partition tools included with a bootable rescue disc (or flash drive) ought to do the trick. Besides, it's always prudent to keep those handy as part of your system troubleshooting toolkit; they've saved me more times than I can count, so I've come to consider them to be absolutely crucial.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

By the way, I confirmed that my port on the router and my cable are fine because I plugged the same cable into my laptop and turned off wireless, and I'm posting this over a wired connection with no hesitation.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Now I'm trying to kill the adapters with netcfg -d and I get unable to stop the vmms service. I don't know what that means.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

JetFred: I recall having a somewhat similar problem in the past, though I forget the particular version of Windows that system was running. Anyway, the problem was related to the WOL (Wake on LAN) power saving mode of the NIC (the NIC would go to "sleep", but would not "wake" from its power-saving mode). The Windows Power Management settings had no effect at all on the problem, but going into the BIOS and disabling "Green LAN" (or the equivalent setting on your MoBo) fixed it immediately.

So that might be worth a shot. You could first try disabling the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Windows, under the Power Management tab for your NIC. Then, failing that, see if you can disable any power saving settings for your NIC from the BIOS.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

None in BIOS but I'll change it in device manager.

By the way, I downloaded a complete internet repair program from Major Geeks and it didn't help.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

JetFred wrote:None in BIOS but I'll change it in device manager.

By the way, I downloaded a complete internet repair program from Major Geeks and it didn't help.
Bear in mind, after changing the Power Management settings from the Device Manager, you may need to completely power off the system as gilraen described above in order to properly reset the NIC, and force it out of its power-saving mode.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just got Win10 on my machine - and i'm now posting this from my Linux desktop....

everything seemed to be ok until i rebooted, when i got a BSOD complaining about eubkmon.sys - ok, so i clearly need to uninstall my non-Win10 compatible version of EaseUS Todo Backup and find another backup solution, but i can't even seem to log into safe mode (not even 'command prompt only), since it attempts to load the library and crashes every time.

this is a first - i've *never, in all the years of using Windows, been NOT able to boot into Safe Mode before. i assume i don't need to revert to Windows 7 to take care of this issue, but i am not sure how to do this otherwise.
Anonymous Bosch

hitbyambulance wrote:i just got Win10 on my machine - and i'm now posting this from my Linux desktop....

everything seemed to be ok until i rebooted, when i got a BSOD complaining about eubkmon.sys - ok, so i clearly need to uninstall my non-Win10 compatible version of EaseUS Todo Backup and find another backup solution, but i can't even seem to log into safe mode (not even 'command prompt only), since it attempts to load the library and crashes every time.

this is a first - i've *never, in all the years of using Windows, been NOT able to boot into Safe Mode before. i assume i don't need to revert to Windows 7 to take care of this issue, but i am not sure how to do this otherwise.
I'd suggest trying what's described here (it's exactly the same situation you describe, even though the OS is Win 7).

Using a bootable rescue disc (or flash drive) will allow you to rename or delete the EUBKMON.SYS file, which should get you back into Windows, where you'll then likely need to kill the processes listed in the linked article to uninstall Easeus Todo Backup.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:i just got Win10 on my machine - and i'm now posting this from my Linux desktop....

I'd suggest trying what's described here (it's exactly the same situation you describe, even though the OS is Win 7).

Using a bootable rescue disc (or flash drive) will allow you to rename or delete the EUBKMON.SYS file, which should get you back into Windows, where you'll then likely need to kill the processes listed in the linked article to uninstall Easeus Todo Backup.

ok, that was no problem. BSOD now reads INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

...awesome. (this is with all external HDDs removed and the disk check reveals no HDD errors)
Anonymous Bosch

hitbyambulance wrote:ok, that was no problem. BSOD now reads INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

...awesome. (this is with all external HDDs removed and the disk check reveals no HDD errors)
Try following the advice and suggestions mentioned in this thread on Toms Hardware, starting with what's posted below:
TomsHardware.com wrote:I know this thread is a month old, but in case anyone stumbles upon it like I did, the fix for me was stupidly simple.
  1. At the blue screen, click Advanced Options
  2. Click Troubleshoot
  3. Look for a Startup button, I forget its proper name
  4. A list of boot options is displayed
  5. Click Restart
  6. Upon restarting you'll be taken to the boot options you previously saw in #4
  7. Boot into Safe Mode only
  8. Once you're back into your desktop through Safe Mode, Reboot your PC and everything should be back to normal
TLDR: Boot into Safe Mode, then Restart your PC

you may also check more solution from

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 3bc5f?db=5

http://www.toppctech.com/inaccessible-b ... ror-fixed/
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

couldn't boot into safe mode, so most of those suggestions couldn't work. i reinstalled Win 10, and while i can now get back in, i've not only lost all my customized settings, i also now have no network access. ...
Anonymous Bosch

hitbyambulance wrote:couldn't boot into safe mode, so most of those suggestions couldn't work. i reinstalled Win 10, and while i can now get back in, i've not only lost all my customized settings, i also now have no network access. ...
Ugh, well I suppose that's progress of a sort. A Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade gives you the option to preserve all apps and files, and that might've done the trick without the loss of your customized settings. While it's likely too late for those settings, that may well take care of your network access problems, too.

First, try this to reset TCP/IP in Windows, as that may well restore your network access without necessitating the Repair Install.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:couldn't boot into safe mode, so most of those suggestions couldn't work. i reinstalled Win 10, and while i can now get back in, i've not only lost all my customized settings, i also now have no network access. ...
Ugh, well I suppose that's progress of a sort. A Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade gives you the option to preserve all apps and files, and that might've done the trick without the loss of your customized settings. While it's likely too late for those settings, that may well take care of your network access problems, too.
so the 'repair' actually wiped out alllll of my installed applications.... :grund:
is it possible to roll back to Win 7, then reinstall Win 10 without having registered? so i can't roll back, due to the 'repair' install. i am so angry right now...

can i use the Windows 7 discs to restore from Windows.old, or am i out of luck?

i'm probably going to have to put the EaseUS Todo Backup to use, aren't i.
Anonymous Bosch

hitbyambulance wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
so the 'repair' actually wiped out alllll of my installed applications.... :grund:
is it possible to roll back to Win 7, then reinstall Win 10 without having registered? so i can't roll back, due to the 'repair' install. i am so angry right now...

Wow, that sucks.

Alas, if you're no longer seeing the option to go back to Windows 7, I think your only option at this stage would be a clean install (as mentioned in the 'How to Downgrade if Windows 10 Doesn’t Give You The Option' section of this HowToGeek.com article), or as you suggest, restoring from a backup.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:

Wow, that sucks.

Alas, if you're no longer seeing the option to go back to Windows 7, I think your only option at this stage would be a clean install (as mentioned in the 'How to Downgrade if Windows 10 Doesn’t Give You The Option' section of this HowToGeek.com article), or as you suggest, restoring from a backup.
if the backup fails on me, i'm going to buy a new HDD and start from scratch. this one is half a decade old at this point, so it's time.

and now i'm going.... why not just build a new PC? hrmmm.

stupid.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, I had intended to at least sign up for it since Microsoft seems to claim they won't be releasing a whole new OS for some time (if ever?) and no one's had anything really bad to say about it. Friday came and went and I just didn't care enough to try.

I wonder if Microsoft will still try and push the upgrade on me now that I've said I wouldn't even take it for free... ??
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Paingod wrote:I wonder if Microsoft will still try and push the upgrade on me now that I've said I wouldn't even take it for free... ??
Doubtful. But if you use "assistive technologies", you can still upgrade for free - as long as you check a box indicating so.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

By the way, I ran the Tweaking repair program (that fixed Win 7 for me months ago) and I STILL get nothing but "secured, no internet" from BOTH of my network adapters. I am about ready to throw it out the window. Thanks, 10.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My new Win10 PC is a little over a week old. It works great until you turn it off. Then on startup, I get a Check Exception error, it scans my C: drive (the SSD for the O/S), reboots, and then runs like a champ. While not nearly as infuriating as a network adapter, I'm at a loss.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

What I really don't understand is that even though the problem appears to be that Windows 10 killed the old Dell not-updated-for-10 drivers, I've had the same problems with two different USB wireless adapters I've tried. The first was understandable because the Belkin drivers were simply broken, but I tried a Netgear tonight with certified drivers updated for 10. Nothing, same problem.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

JetFred wrote:What I really don't understand is that even though the problem appears to be that Windows 10 killed the old Dell not-updated-for-10 drivers, I've had the same problems with two different USB wireless adapters I've tried. The first was understandable because the Belkin drivers were simply broken, but I tried a Netgear tonight with certified drivers updated for 10. Nothing, same problem.
If you're lucky, you may be able to use the built-in Windows Network Troubleshooter to see what's causing the problem and perhaps fix it automatically. Just type Network Troubleshooter in the search box next to the Start Button. Then click on Identify and Repair Network Connections from the list that appears, and that'll start the Windows Network Troubleshooter wizard, which then walks you through steps to try and troubleshoot the problem.

Failing that, there are some solid recommendations listed here. Also, third party security/firewall software is notorious for causing major networking headaches with W10. So if you have any installed, it may behoove you to try uninstalling it, just to see it that helps (in which case an upgraded version or switching to a different product may help).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm trying really hard to understand why an image resize tool isn't baked into the Win10 Microsoft Photo app.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
JetFred wrote:What I really don't understand is that even though the problem appears to be that Windows 10 killed the old Dell not-updated-for-10 drivers, I've had the same problems with two different USB wireless adapters I've tried. The first was understandable because the Belkin drivers were simply broken, but I tried a Netgear tonight with certified drivers updated for 10. Nothing, same problem.
If you're lucky, you may be able to use the built-in Windows Network Troubleshooter to see what's causing the problem and perhaps fix it automatically. Just type Network Troubleshooter in the search box next to the Start Button. Then click on Identify and Repair Network Connections from the list that appears, and that'll start the Windows Network Troubleshooter wizard, which then walks you through steps to try and troubleshoot the problem.

Failing that, there are some solid recommendations listed here. Also, third party security/firewall software is notorious for causing major networking headaches with W10. So if you have any installed, it may behoove you to try uninstalling it, just to see it that helps (in which case an upgraded version or switching to a different product may help).
I appreciate the ideas. I will keep searching. The troubleshooter just tells me there may be an unresolved problem with the driver, even with the new Netgear USB wi-fi adapter with updated Win 10 drivers (supposedly). i have been shutting down my malware and antivirus programs for every attempt until it works again, but I haven't uninstalled them.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Oddly enough, when I run ipconfig, I just get "Windows IP configuration". Nothing else at all. With any additional commands, I get that no adapter is in a state to perform the action.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

JetFred wrote:Oddly enough, when I run ipconfig, I just get "Windows IP configuration". Nothing else at all. With any additional commands, I get that no adapter is in a state to perform the action.
If all you're getting is "Windows IP configuration" after the ipconfig command, it means you don't have a network interface. In other words, it's either not physically installed, or something else is wrong with the drivers. My initial suspicion would be a third party firewall driver messing with your network configuration.

Try going to Network settings > Change adapter options, then right click Wi-Fi and uncheck any firewall drivers related to your security software you see there, and reboot. If that helps, then you know the problem's definitely related to your security software.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

When I right-click wi-fi, I don't see anything related to any security software, in the context menu or in the properties>"this connection uses" list.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

JetFred wrote:When I right-click wi-fi, I don't see anything related to any security software, in the context menu or in the properties>"this connection uses" list.
In that case, it sounds more like a problem with the driver(s) themselves. Try removing and rolling back to a more functional driver, or removing and replacing the relevant drivers, as explained here.

Also, make certain the IPv4 and IPv6 protocols are correctly enabled in your Network Settings, as shown here. Failing that, I think you'll just have to work your way through the other suggested fixes from TheWindowsClub.com I previously linked to.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Unfortunately the v4 and v6 options have been enabled all along, the option to roll back driver is grayed out, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest or last working driver on all three devices I've tried, and no luck. I should also point out that restore is reporting no restore points (that shouldn't be the case).
I have but one advocate.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm trying really hard to understand why an image resize tool isn't baked into the Win10 Microsoft Photo app.
Yup, had to fall back to "Paint" for that. :?
-mf