Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by Zaxxon »

I've been on it since 3/30 on my home machine and since earlier this week on my work machines. No issues.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Kraken wrote:
Victoria Raverna wrote:Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10 (Creators Update) that come with a Game Mode feature. It is available now for manual update (Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant) and will be available from Windows Update in phases starting next Tuesday.
Has anyone installed this yet? My computer is nagging me.
I have installed using the manual install method before it was available from Windows Update. No problem at all but I didn't notice much changes. First boot after upgrade, NVIDIA Geforce Experience didn't run correctly also seemed to have problem with some hardware drivers but a reboot fixed everything.
Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Kraken wrote:
Victoria Raverna wrote:Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10 (Creators Update) that come with a Game Mode feature. It is available now for manual update (Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant) and will be available from Windows Update in phases starting next Tuesday.
Installed 1703 Update (Creator's Update) today. Took 20 minutes.
Thermal Monitoring failed upon first start after the update, but a reboot seemed to fix it, so no issues.
Cold boot time has improved a tiny bit, from 25 seconds to 22 seconds.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kraken wrote:
Updated a desktop and a laptop. No issues.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Upgraded to the Creator's version this weekend from standard Win 10 install. No issues. This was built as a Win 10 system, though, so I wasn't really expecting any problems.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Same here. I had to reset my install and installed that Creator's Update as well. No issues so far.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Okay, tonight I had unsaved work open on my desktop, walked away, and Windows discarded it and restarted to run an update after I had just picked "another time" like 4 times within a half hour.
I have but one advocate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Set up 10 Enterprise on a new workstation today. Updates went surprisingly quick... Surprising because it's running 10 2015 and didn't update to 10 1067/Anniversary Edition. All of the drivers for the machine are incompatible with the OS.

The only way to update 10 Enterprise is to upgrade it by getting the license for 1067 through the volume licensing center.

I thought 10 was supposed to be the single solution end of this crap.

So annoyed.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

For 6 months I've been holding onto Win 10 activation keys for all my home computers.
They've all been running fine and everyone is happy.
So, other than plain laziness, is there any good reason NOT to upgrade to Windows 10 now?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:Set up 10 Enterprise on a new workstation today. Updates went surprisingly quick... Surprising because it's running 10 2015 and didn't update to 10 1067/Anniversary Edition. All of the drivers for the machine are incompatible with the OS.

The only way to update 10 Enterprise is to upgrade it by getting the license for 1067 through the volume licensing center.

I thought 10 was supposed to be the single solution end of this crap.

So annoyed.
You should be starting from 1703, not 1511 or 1607. Once you do that, the updates actually are much quicker. MS uses a cumulative model for 10, and only sends the binaries that are required. In other words, both a 'new' 1703 build and one that was updated in Aug will get the Sept cumulative update, but the one updated in Aug will download and apply a much smaller version than the 'new' 1703 build.

How are you imaging the machine? Most manufacturers will have a driver blob for you to use that will install everything. Don't just use Win7 drivers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It was a custom built machine. It's long since resolved. I had to get a new MAK for 1067 (which was currentish at the time). Enterprise won't update from one build to another, which means if I want to start installing 1703, I'll have to get a new ISO (no biggie) and new MAK from from my corporate office. More of a pain than I want to deal with but them's the breaks.
Dave Allen wrote:For 6 months I've been holding onto Win 10 activation keys for all my home computers.
They've all been running fine and everyone is happy.
So, other than plain laziness, is there any good reason NOT to upgrade to Windows 10 now?
The only think I don't care for in 10 is that every crash I've had so far has been irrecoverable. I used to have very good luck with going backwards or booting in through other means and recovering 7 crashes. I have had zero successes with recovering 10 crashes... But that's me...
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Microsoft’s Windows 10 April 2018 Update arrives on Monday
Microsoft is finally naming its next Windows 10 update today. The Windows 10 April 2018 Update was originally scheduled to release on April 10th, but Microsoft hit a blocking bug that pushed the release to the very last day of April. Microsoft is now releasing its April update for people to manually download on Monday April 30th, before it’s more broadly rolled out to machines on May 8th.
The Windows 10 April 2018 update includes a new Timeline feature for recalling previous apps you were working on across machines, or even the ability to open your browsing history from Microsoft Edge for iOS and Android. Microsoft is also adding a new dictation feature, alongside an improved Focus Assist feature for silencing notifications. Microsoft’s Edge browser is also getting a mute tab feature with this update, and the company is refreshing its Xbox Game Bar with a new design.

Most of the features in this latest update are fairly minor, but welcome changes for regular Windows 10 users. Microsoft is now pressing ahead with its next update, codenamed Redstone 5. The update, due later this year, will include clever tabs for apps, and will even feature a dark mode for File Explorer.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, question. Is there a reason why I would get an incoming Skype call when I don't have the app running? I was a bit freaked out when an incoming skype call box popped up complete with skype ring. I assume that maybe the app stays logged in and parts of it stay running at all times as a service.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

This started happening to me when I had another computer with Skype installed and both logged into the same Microsoft account.
I have but one advocate.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's odd, because this is the only computer with Skype installed or with access to this account.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

are you 100% sure it's not running? Closing skype windows does not force Skype to exit. You have to right click its systray icon and click Exit.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yes. I wasn't even running the app when I got the call. And this was after a fresh boot. And I'm speaking about the App version included with Windows 10, not the desktop version you can download from the Skype site. The app version doesn't run in the system tray. It doesn't quite behave the same way. I'm thinking it's got something to do with how the app account for Windows 10 is tied to the system, and the App itself may still be running in the background even though I hadn't ran it when it happened. I checked the settings in the app, and I do have "allow calls from anyone" turned off, and I noticed that "show out of app ongoing call indicator" was on and turned that off too, although I'm unclear what it really means. Overall, I'm really disappointed with the lack of settings and options in this version of Skype. My only option at this point may be to log out of the app instead of keeping it logged in. If they're running this version as a service, then I think they really need to be clearer about it, given the limited options in the settings. There's not even an option to prevent Skype from starting up when Windows starts anymore.

To make matters worse, the Skype App and the Desktop versions are now unified, both lacking in options. You used to be able to tell the desktop version to to start when windows boots. Not anymore.

Looks like I found my answer though: https://www.howtogeek.com/284864/how-to ... indows-10/

They refer to the App as Skype Preview, but it's the same thing, and as I speculated, the only way you can stop it from running in the background is to sign out. Stu-PID. So, the only way to get unwanted calls without even opening the app is to sign out. What were MS smoking?? It's very sneaky and stealthy, and if I had to search to figure it out, I don't have a hope for anyone who's not well-versed in technology to be able to figure out if they get spooked.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

Ah, I see. I have ever used the Skype "app". In fact, I don't have (nomal) Skype logged in on any Windows 10 machine. I do have Skype For Business installed on a personal Windows 10 laptop, but it's definitely an application (as opposed to an app) and it definitely lets me exit it from the tray.

What you are describing does seem silly and stupid. But, can't you just change your status to offline to avoid getting messages? Isn't that as effective as shutting down the app? Again, I am not familiar with the "app" but I do this all the time with both vanilla Skype and SFB. It will prevent messages from showing up on one machine (which is "offline") and allow messages on a different machine (which is online).
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I never tried changing the status to offline, so I was never sure of the behavior. Guess it would work. But, they've removed the functionality. Can only choose between Active, Do Not Disturb, and Invisible. I decided to try Invisible. And I see they've made the classic desktop version available again, so maybe I'll go back to that.

But yeah, it's a stupid design decision. With something like that, it should be explained in the app, and we should be given the option of turning off that functionality. Not everyone needs it 24/7, and if I happen to exit the app, it usually means I'm done with it for the day.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:51 pm I never tried changing the status to offline, so I was never sure of the behavior. Guess it would work. But, they've removed the functionality. Can only choose between Active, Do Not Disturb, and Invisible. I decided to try Invisible. And I see they've made the classic desktop version available again, so maybe I'll go back to that.

But yeah, it's a stupid design decision. With something like that, it should be explained in the app, and we should be given the option of turning off that functionality. Not everyone needs it 24/7, and if I happen to exit the app, it usually means I'm done with it for the day.
IMO they have turned what used to be a straightforward, well-working app, into a tangled mess with all the versions they have now for it. The app in Windows (Preview), the standalone (Skype), the business version (Lync). And none seem to talk to each other well at all.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the current version of Skype is a mess too, and all for the glory of being a snapchat clone. And as far as mobile apps go, they've gone so far as to further fragment the app into two, one for messaging and one for video calling. So, essentially doing the same thing as Facebook with the social platform in one app, and the messaging in a separate app. I hate all these separate apps that should be one thing. They like to say it's better for us as consumers, but all these extra apps do is use up extra space. I have a samsung tablet with limited space, and I always feel like I need to delete something.

As far as Skype goes, another brilliant decision by Microsoft! Those who worried about their purchase of Skype were right to worry.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

April update is.... bad.... for business purposes. I have on workstation running 1803 and it sucks. Poor stability a common theme of "Close the lid and reopen it" seems to be a same workaround for problems from freezes to low power lockups to Cortana gone crazy to Chrome not working. I only have a problem with the lowpower/display lock freezes but time locking your machine set by group policy is a clean desk policy best practice. It's practically quality requirement when it comes to security.

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 am
Rumpy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:51 pm I never tried changing the status to offline, so I was never sure of the behavior. Guess it would work. But, they've removed the functionality. Can only choose between Active, Do Not Disturb, and Invisible. I decided to try Invisible. And I see they've made the classic desktop version available again, so maybe I'll go back to that.

IMO they have turned what used to be a straightforward, well-working app, into a tangled mess with all the versions they have now for it. The app in Windows (Preview), the standalone (Skype), the business version (Lync). And none seem to talk to each other well at all.
After buying Skype and tying Lynk in to everything productivity/collaborative work related it looks like they're trying to sink Lynk and tie all its same functionality in to TEAMS, as far as I can tell. In the meantime, Skype/Lynk (for business anyway) has its hooks every where via Office and O365 and enabled functionality much like how you can kill One Drive again and again and again it keeps coming back.

I have no experience with the app but as far as basic Skype and Skype for Business on Windows 10? The current state? Not a fan. MS need to back off a little one their collaborative approach, not because its not excellent advancement in productivity computing but because their house of integration methodology and implementation is not in order. I don't think they can afford not to be innovators but I also don't think they can afford to make wrong turns they're currently making to be the innovators they want to be.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Has anyone else noticed that after the latest update, EVERY TIME you play a game, Windows puts a notification in the notification center saying that notifications will go to the notification center when you are gaming?
I have but one advocate.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, now that you mention it, I had six unread notifications. None of them were about gaming.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The 1803 update landed on me a few days ago. It apparently has an intermittent issue with CryptSvc that causes some applications (like the Chrome browser and EA Origin client) to time out when attempting to establish secure connections. It appears that there is a registry fix to sort it out, but for now I'm just getting by with restarting CryptSvc when the problem rears it's head.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Does anyone know how to disable to Xbox gaming overlay? It's annoying and obnoxious. Playing a game through Steam, which has its own overlay, MS thinks I need another overlay.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:27 pm Does anyone know how to disable to Xbox gaming overlay? It's annoying and obnoxious. Playing a game through Steam, which has its own overlay, MS thinks I need another overlay.
Follow the instructions here under Option 3 to uninstall the Xbox Game Bar app from all current accounts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ahh, thanks. I wasn't planning on going that far with it and merely wanted to stop it from being activated each time I game. I did find out how to do that, though it was a bit confusing as the names (MS Game Bar/XBox Gaming Overlay) are not consistent and I wasn't entirely sure I had gotten the right thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti