Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by Blackhawk »

Blanking blank of a blank. The Rosewill USB headphones I got less than a year ago don't have drivers for Windows 10. I use these things constantly, and there is no way I can afford to replace them. Gah.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:Blanking blank of a blank. The Rosewill USB headphones I got less than a year ago don't have drivers for Windows 10. I use these things constantly, and there is no way I can afford to replace them. Gah.
The driver format has not changed from Windows 7/8. The old driver didn't carry over during the upgrade?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zaxxon wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Blanking blank of a blank. The Rosewill USB headphones I got less than a year ago don't have drivers for Windows 10. I use these things constantly, and there is no way I can afford to replace them. Gah.
The driver format has not changed from Windows 7/8. The old driver didn't carry over during the upgrade?
My Soundblaster card doesn't have a released driver, but the upgrade from 8 brought the drivers with them and it's working ok. I'm also surprised that the 8 driver didn't carry over. Can you try reinstalling it?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Had the same issue with a USB set of headphones I purchased for use with WinXP. Upgraded to Win7 and the headphones no longer worked. Finally gave up and went back to a set using standard old-school jacks. Absolutely ridiculous, so I feel your pain.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been fiddling with trying to force it to take the driver, but the installers won't accept the OS, regardless of compatibility settings. I've yet to give up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:I've been fiddling with trying to force it to take the driver, but the installers won't accept the OS, regardless of compatibility settings. I've yet to give up.
Ah, sounds like annoying programming rather than an actual incompatibility. I hate arbitrary OS checks. Good luck!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote:I've been fiddling with trying to force it to take the driver, but the installers won't accept the OS, regardless of compatibility settings. I've yet to give up.
If you're installing from an MSI or EXE file, see if you can extract the contents using Universal Extractor (or the like).

Then manually install the driver from the Device Manager in Windows.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Had the same issue with a USB set of headphones I purchased for use with WinXP. Upgraded to Win7 and the headphones no longer worked. Finally gave up and went back to a set using standard old-school jacks. Absolutely ridiculous, so I feel your pain.
In 15 years when you update to Windows 10, I hope they have all this worked out. ;)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey! I'm planning on making the jump in the next few months. Early adopter I am not, that's for sure. But if my computer dies in the process my ability to work is in jeopardy. I can't be tinkering with the money-maker. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Hey! I'm planning on making the jump in the next few months. Early adopter I am not, that's for sure. But if my computer dies in the process my ability to work is in jeopardy. I can't be tinkering with the money-maker. :D
I just installed it tonight on my laptop. All went according to hoyle.

Edit to add: So far the only thing that doesn't work is that I can't disable track pad on the laptop. All the other specialized drivers for the laptop just worked.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Okay, I have NOT read this thread. I just got the update notice, and I was expecting to get to check my system and pick a time (maybe never) to upgrade. Instead all I got was a failed update error in Windows Update, like it had tried to go ahead and do something, and it didn't work.

If I open the message center icon again, it says it is downloading in the background. If I click to see the progress of the download, I get the error in Windows Update again.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Might try the Razer Synapse software on those headphones. The Razer surround stuff works great on headphones but not sure it will help those.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Now it won't quit trying, so it's eating up processing power and keeps popping up over what I'm doing. And I think either Zone Alarm or Malwarebytes Anti-malware is blocking it.
I have but one advocate.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Main Kitchen Laptop kicked off the update when I rebooted last night (even though I wanted it to wait until tonight) so now all free upgrade compatible PCs in the house are upgraded. No problems here, everything "just worked"...
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finally got the icon! For some reason although I had Windows set to automatically install updates (and it had been doing some at least), I found a whole bunch of recommended updates that hadn't been installed. Once they were installed, the icon popped up. Whoo hoo!
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Updated, ran Forza 5 on my son's Xbone and streamed it to my machine. It actually worked! Ran in 480p because my sons Xbone is on wireless. He and I both have access to a powerline connection to the router, so we're going to get a switch and try that to see if it improves the experience. I'll update in a few days.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My bedroom PC has the update waiting, but the hardware is old enough that I'm leery of clicking the button. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it all working correctly in Win10. I know I can 'undo' the upgrade, but I'm not really wanting to spend several hours of my day troubleshooting. Again.

I'll likely wait for a few weeks and let other people post on the internet about their troubleshooting for me to google.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Installed on my Surface Pro 3 today. I only use it for work and light surfing, so probably not a huge stress test on it but should give me an opportunity to play with it. Reserved on my home PC, but I won't be installing there for a good long time.

I had a work laptop with Windows 8/8.1 and hated that thing with a passion. Worst OS "upgrade" I've had the misfortune to deal with - seemed like MS decided "hey, let's take this easy thing, figure out the way to make it hugely difficult and obscure, then roll it out without documentation! Winnar!"

Heads should have rolled over that fiasco....
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

DD* wrote: Heads should have rolled over that fiasco....
There's a reason Steven Sinofsky 'voluntarily' left MS, and that reason is Windows 8. One could argue that Win 8 /Win Phone 8 was a major contributing factor to the timing of Ballmer's ouster, too.

Heads rolled.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

...Which led to Satya Nadella's ascension. Somewhat ironically, Windows 8's failure rather directly opened the door to the exciting stuff Microsoft is doing today.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Lorini wrote:Updated, ran Forza 5 on my son's Xbone and streamed it to my machine. It actually worked! Ran in 480p because my sons Xbone is on wireless. He and I both have access to a powerline connection to the router, so we're going to get a switch and try that to see if it improves the experience. I'll update in a few days.
I don't understand the appeal of this. I have a console for when I don't want to be at the computer. If it worked the other way around though, that would be awesome
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote:
Lorini wrote:Updated, ran Forza 5 on my son's Xbone and streamed it to my machine. It actually worked! Ran in 480p because my sons Xbone is on wireless. He and I both have access to a powerline connection to the router, so we're going to get a switch and try that to see if it improves the experience. I'll update in a few days.
I don't understand the appeal of this. I have a console for when I don't want to be at the computer. If it worked the other way around though, that would be awesome
I have two kids. Every night they get two hours of gaming time, which usually means one is on the TV and the other on my gaming computer while I'm banished to my bedroom. I have a PC in there, but it isn't all that fast. Being able to sit and play the PS4 (no Xbone) streamed while they're doing their own thing would be fantastic.
BCarle

Post by BCarle »

Well after trying different drivers and none worked I went the route of doing the create media installation and Windows 10 just completed installation. so far so good.

bob
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
I have two kids. Every night they get two hours of gaming time, which usually means one is on the TV and the other on my gaming computer while I'm banished to my bedroom. I have a PC in there, but it isn't all that fast. Being able to sit and play the PS4 (no Xbone) streamed while they're doing their own thing would be fantastic.
Ah, a family thing. I see now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

FWIW I got an email from Endicia yesterday warning that their software doesn't support Win 10 yet and early upgraders will be unable to print postage. Since I use Endicia for 3/4 of my mailing labels I'm glad they told me -- not that I ever intended to upgrade until the OS has had a good long while to work out the kinks.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Alefroth wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Ah, a family thing. I see now.
Yeah. Having one big TV shared with three of us means streaming a game to my PC screen would be nice at times.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ahhhh...you, sir....rock. I usually see the major LH articles, but missed this somehow.

Have some problems with recent Win 7 updates that will not load, and I suspect some root level issue (tried so many fixes, but did not want to reinstall). This should do it!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woot.
Anonymous Bosch

This is more than a little disconcerting for anyone installing Windows 10 with a reasonable expectation of privacy:
BGR.com wrote:Windows 10 is amazing. Windows 10 is fantastic. Windows 10 is glorious. Windows 10 is faster, smoother and more user-friendly than any Windows operating system that has come before it. Windows 10 is everything Windows 8 should have been, addressing nearly all of the major problems users had with Microsoft’s previous-generation platform in one fell swoop.

But there’s something you should know: As you read this article from your newly upgraded PC, Windows 10 is also spying on nearly everything you do.

It’s your own fault if you don’t know that Windows 10 is spying on you. That’s what people always say when users fail to read through a company’s terms of service document, right?

Well, here is Microsoft’s 12,000-word service agreement. Some of it is probably in English. We’re pretty sure it says you can’t steal Windows or use Windows to send spam, and also that Microsoft retains the right to take possession of your first-born child if it so chooses. And that’s only one of several documents you’ll have to read through.

Actually, here’s one excerpt from Microsoft’s privacy statement that everyone can understand:
Microsoft wrote:Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.
(Emphasis added by yours truly).

The article goes on to offer instructions for opting out of the more obvious intrusive 'features' of the OS. But if Microsoft tacitly admits the OS is designed in such a way as to grant them the ability to "access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)", I'm not sure how much faith I'd have that merely opting out would be sufficient to maintain a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I suppose time will tell, as this is sure to generate plenty of additional scrutiny from InfoSec boffins.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

When the federal government goes to their secret court to force information out of the tech companies, what else can they do? I intensely dislike politics outside of R&P, but really this is a concern you and all of us need to make our representatives aware of.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Ahhhh...you, sir....rock. I usually see the major LH articles, but missed this somehow.

Have some problems with recent Win 7 updates that will not load, and I suspect some root level issue (tried so many fixes, but did not want to reinstall). This should do it!
Crap. Every time I get this started, I come back later and nada. No message, no install window, nothing. I sure as hell am not going to sit here and watch the damn thing download so I can see what the problem is.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Get what started?
Anonymous Bosch

Lorini wrote:When the federal government goes to their secret court to force information out of the tech companies, what else can they do? I intensely dislike politics outside of R&P, but really this is a concern you and all of us need to make our representatives aware of.
Microsoft could've chosen not to include an ability in their OS granting access to private communications, files, and folders, e.g. I'm fairly sure Linux runs just fine without that particular feature. Frankly, the notion that Microsoft even continues to refer to them as 'private' while declaring they will be accessed and disclosed to whomever they see fit, seems a wee bit daft to say the least.

In other words, a secret court could not force information out of Microsoft that they do not have access to or possess.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:Get what started?
The forced download of Win 10. I'm at 75% now, so I guess I will watch and see why it failed twice before (odd that there was NOTHING on the screen though...)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Weird. Didn't run into anything like that. So it didn't necessarily fail, but just disappeared?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

No after I watched it, it did fail again, asked me to restart and try again. BOOOOOO.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nuts.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

in addition to the above:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/
http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/907553 ... acy-how-to
Next is a rather nebulous entry: "Let apps use your advertising ID for experiences across apps." What this sentence doesn't quite explain is that Windows 10 generates a unique advertising ID for each user. If this option is enabled, it allows app developers and ad networks to profile you using that ID and serve you ads based on how you use your PC.
not to mention your encryption key is backed up to OneDrive by default, and if you use 'Wifi Sense', anyone who has your wireless access point credentials can share them with *their friends in Skype and Facebook.

(and the new version of Solitaire contains ads..?)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

hitbyambulance wrote:in addition to the above:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/
http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/907553 ... acy-how-to
Next is a rather nebulous entry: "Let apps use your advertising ID for experiences across apps." What this sentence doesn't quite explain is that Windows 10 generates a unique advertising ID for each user. If this option is enabled, it allows app developers and ad networks to profile you using that ID and serve you ads based on how you use your PC.
not to mention your encryption key is backed up to OneDrive by default, and if you use 'Wifi Sense', anyone who has your wireless access point credentials can share them with *their friends in Skype and Facebook.

(and the new version of Solitaire contains ads..?)
I turned WifiSense off. However I do have a question...do the people actually get the full password or are they just added to the wifi when they are at my house? Big difference. I do understand that if they are simply added, they could probably hack the password but that I'm not nearly as concerned about.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:Krebs
This brilliant new feature, which Microsoft has dubbed Wi-Fi Sense, doesn’t share your WiFi network password per se — it shares an encrypted version of that password. But it does allow anyone in your Skype or Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists to waltz onto your Wi-Fi network — should they ever wander within range of it or visit your home (or hop onto it secretly from hundreds of yards away with a good ‘ole cantenna!).
It's almost as if people are the problem.