Say goodbye to Log Me In

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Say goodbye to Log Me In

Post by naednek »

Well, the free version. After Jan 29th you'll have to pay to use it.

Sad. Very handy tool :(
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
wonderpug

Re: Say goodbye to Log Me In

Post by wonderpug »

Aw. I don't use LogMeIn much these days but LogMeIn + Dropbox was such a magical from-the-future combo to have handy.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I've got two LMI accounts - one for work and one registered to a personal email address. I've had the personal account forever but the work one was just created last year. I noticed from the moment I registered I would get a BUY NOW splash screen at login with a teeny-tiny "click here to continue without buying" link at the bottom.

The personal account works without any nag screens.

The work account received an email Tuesday about "important changes coming to LogMeIn" but I haven't seen anything in my personal account.

I wonder if super-old accounts are somehow grandfathered in?

I guess I'll find out on the 29th.

EDIT: This might be the difference - I purchased the LogMeIn app for my iPad using my personal address:

For owners of LogMeIn Ignition for iPad/iPhone and LogMeIn Ignition for Android

While customers who purchased these apps are impacted by this change, we have taken steps to be especially attentive to these customers. LogMeIn Ignition for iPad/iPhone and Android app purchasers will receive significant discounts, as well as generous terms to ease the transition. Details of these offers are being sent to Ignition mobile users this week, both via email and in-product notifications.
Last edited by Exodor on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Well that answers my question:
Important changes to your LogMeIn account.

LogMeIn Free is no longer available. To continue using remote access, a paid account subscription of LogMeIn Pro is now required. Because you’re a loyal user, we’re giving you a complimentary six-month LogMeIn Pro subscription for your computers. Your existing Ignition app will continue to work with this subscription. After your six-month complimentary license expires, you will need to purchase an account subscription of LogMeIn Pro for continued service.
I'll probably spring for $49 for a year but the "normal" price of twice that is a little outrageous.

After a year it may be time to look at TeamViewer.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Look at TeamViewer NOW. :)

Android, iOS, Windows, Mac...

I got it loaded on all machines. Even my tablet.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Resurrect!

Heads up for anyone who transitioned to their pay service. Their lowest price just went from $99 a year to $149 a year. And you have to call them to cancel now. (Always a good sign!)

That said - the girl I spoke to was extremely pleasant and cancelled me with hardly the level of argument I would expect for a phone only option. She did offer me the old price but I noped out of that one. The value just isn't there; even though I am on the road a lot and remote access is helpful when things break back home. I tend to stream out of my house a lot but not $100 worth IMO and I could always just walk my wife through fixing things.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chrome Remote Desktop is free. Just sayin'.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote:Chrome Remote Desktop is free. Just sayin'.
Does it allow logins to logged off machines? That was the real use case for me. My streaming system gets a windows update and reboots on its own (and yeah I guess I could autologin it as a solution) but just curious.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SuperUser
In windows 8.1 I am able to remotely reboot and then login again using Chrome Remote Desktop. So, the remote computer needs to be on and connected to the network, but does not need to be logged in.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nice thanks! What maroons. Their pricing model is dumb. The girl was laughing when I said...perhaps I want to cancel because of the insane price hike. I had the distinct feeling it wasn't an usual call for her.