AMD and PCI express

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Fitzy

AMD and PCI express

Post by Fitzy »

Are any of the AMD motherboard makers going to release a PCI express version in the next few months? I'd like to build another computer and I really like my current AMD processor. At the same time I'd like to use a slightly more future proof motherboard. There's no real hurry I still have to convince my wife it's a good idea :D

On a related note are the sound card makers going to migrate to PCI express?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Watch for the upcoming Nforce4 boards coming out soon. I think they are coming at the end of the month or in November.

Linkage
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

I'm holding out for that combo as well.
Going to swap my P4/2.8 w/ 9800 Pro hopefully for a barebone AMD64+X800.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Enough wrote:Watch for the upcoming Nforce4 boards coming out soon. I think they are coming at the end of the month or in November.

Linkage
Thank you, I found some articles on the Nforce4, but none mentioned a time. This should give me plenty of time to beg...now where did I put those kneepads.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Will the NF4 boards be based on the new AMD processors only? I just got a AMD XP 3200 CPU and can't find a way to use that and the Nvidia 6600 since it is PCI-X. I hope someone makes the 6600 in an AGP card. I was going to cobble together an HTPC using my current 9700pro but there is nothing out in my price range that I feel is worth the upgrade besides the 6600.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rich in KCK wrote:Will the NF4 boards be based on the new AMD processors only? I just got a AMD XP 3200 CPU and can't find a way to use that and the Nvidia 6600 since it is PCI-X. I hope someone makes the 6600 in an AGP card. I was going to cobble together an HTPC using my current 9700pro but there is nothing out in my price range that I feel is worth the upgrade besides the 6600.
I was talking to a coworker today who had the chance to see the AGP and PCI-X versions of the 6600 running the same game side by side. The PCI-X version was far, far better according to him. It seems that bus is responsible for a lot of the price/performance ratio - I wonder if the AGP boards will still seem like a good deal when the numbers are run on them?

When I considered that getting maximum performance from a $200 video card would require about a $300 mobo/CPU purchase (I currently have a nForce2/Athlon2800 combo), suddenly the card became a lot less attractive. The $400 6800GT seemed like it was overall a better choice and would remain so for the forseeable future, so I went with one of those.