Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Blackhawk
Loading…

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:46 pm
I guess this is one clear advantage of USB!
It was one of the biggest selling points for USB when it was new.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That'd certainly make sense, and I guess I'd gotten so used to the plug-n-play nature of usb that it never occurred to me that PS/2 wasn't working the same way.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I found my coil of 2 meter "bias lighting" LED strip I bought a long time ago, and I decided to install it behind my twin monitors, but I used poster-mounting double-sided tape bits, not the semi-permanent 3M adhesive baked into the strip as I wasn't very sure about the mounting yet. it helps a bit, just not sure how much yet.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Does anyone here use a small keyboard for the desktop? I mean like one of those 60% keyboards. How does that small size feel? I'm using a full size right now but I want something smaller. I'm undecided if I should just lose the number pad, which I don't need, or get something REALLY small. Is there a point where you should only get that small of a keyboard if you absolutely have no space for anything larger? I have plenty of space, I just don't need a large keyboard. I'd like key size to remain normal though, I don't want miniature keys.

TheMix
Loading…

Post by TheMix »

gameoverman wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 pm
Does anyone here use a small keyboard for the desktop? I mean like one of those 60% keyboards. How does that small size feel? I'm using a full size right now but I want something smaller. I'm undecided if I should just lose the number pad, which I don't need, or get something REALLY small. Is there a point where you should only get that small of a keyboard if you absolutely have no space for anything larger? I have plenty of space, I just don't need a large keyboard. I'd like key size to remain normal though, I don't want miniature keys.
I've been using the Microsoft Sculpt since December with my work laptop. No major complaints. I don't use the separate keypad. I like it because it gives me room for a controller and extra mouse from my personal PC. Before I was having space issues. It's nice because it is still basically full sized; I don't run into issues with smaller keys. And I like that it's ergonomic. My wife did remind me though that I do sometimes run into problems where it seems like the left shift key won't register all the time. But that might be a battery issue. Not sure. It has been pretty reliable lately. The main drawback is that it's not mechanical - if you want that. The only small form ergonomic keyboards were a LOT more expensive.

It helps that I use a game pad for my gaming. Either an old Nostromo Speed Pad or a newer RedDragon keypad. My keyboard for my personal PC sits farther back on the desk and rarely gets used. I have room to put the Microsoft one in front of it without things being too crowded.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

hitbyambulance
Loading…

Post by hitbyambulance »

i got a Matias Mini Quiet Pro mechanical from a Goodwill for $4 - had to fix the USB port on it, however.

http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/

it's not 60% (i don't think) but it is small and is, tactile-wise, the best feeling keyboard i've used in a long time. really like it a lot and it's probably worth the $130 MSRP.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I use a 75% keyboard (unique form factor) Velocifire TK78, but it's not available right now. It's basically a 60-key keyboard with a row of function keys and a delete key and escape key. It's just a regular mechanical keyboard. I picked the function keys as I do use function keys.

The smaller keyboards (even Razer is joining the 60% bandwagon now) has all the keys, just hidden under an additional function layer. So if you already touch type, learning another key to hold isn't that difficult. And if there are some keys you want to use more often (like backtick for programming, or tilde...) , there are probably key remapping software either from factory or aftermarket that can let you do that. The catch is remembering it.

other than that? It's just a nice compact keyboard.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator