Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Blackhawk
Loading…

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:46 pm
I guess this is one clear advantage of USB!
It was one of the biggest selling points for USB when it was new.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That'd certainly make sense, and I guess I'd gotten so used to the plug-n-play nature of usb that it never occurred to me that PS/2 wasn't working the same way.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I found my coil of 2 meter "bias lighting" LED strip I bought a long time ago, and I decided to install it behind my twin monitors, but I used poster-mounting double-sided tape bits, not the semi-permanent 3M adhesive baked into the strip as I wasn't very sure about the mounting yet. it helps a bit, just not sure how much yet.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Does anyone here use a small keyboard for the desktop? I mean like one of those 60% keyboards. How does that small size feel? I'm using a full size right now but I want something smaller. I'm undecided if I should just lose the number pad, which I don't need, or get something REALLY small. Is there a point where you should only get that small of a keyboard if you absolutely have no space for anything larger? I have plenty of space, I just don't need a large keyboard. I'd like key size to remain normal though, I don't want miniature keys.

TheMix
Loading…

Post by TheMix »

gameoverman wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 pm
Does anyone here use a small keyboard for the desktop? I mean like one of those 60% keyboards. How does that small size feel? I'm using a full size right now but I want something smaller. I'm undecided if I should just lose the number pad, which I don't need, or get something REALLY small. Is there a point where you should only get that small of a keyboard if you absolutely have no space for anything larger? I have plenty of space, I just don't need a large keyboard. I'd like key size to remain normal though, I don't want miniature keys.
I've been using the Microsoft Sculpt since December with my work laptop. No major complaints. I don't use the separate keypad. I like it because it gives me room for a controller and extra mouse from my personal PC. Before I was having space issues. It's nice because it is still basically full sized; I don't run into issues with smaller keys. And I like that it's ergonomic. My wife did remind me though that I do sometimes run into problems where it seems like the left shift key won't register all the time. But that might be a battery issue. Not sure. It has been pretty reliable lately. The main drawback is that it's not mechanical - if you want that. The only small form ergonomic keyboards were a LOT more expensive.

It helps that I use a game pad for my gaming. Either an old Nostromo Speed Pad or a newer RedDragon keypad. My keyboard for my personal PC sits farther back on the desk and rarely gets used. I have room to put the Microsoft one in front of it without things being too crowded.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

hitbyambulance
Loading…

Post by hitbyambulance »

i got a Matias Mini Quiet Pro mechanical from a Goodwill for $4 - had to fix the USB port on it, however.

http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/

it's not 60% (i don't think) but it is small and is, tactile-wise, the best feeling keyboard i've used in a long time. really like it a lot and it's probably worth the $130 MSRP.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I use a 75% keyboard (unique form factor) Velocifire TK78, but it's not available right now. It's basically a 60-key keyboard with a row of function keys and a delete key and escape key. It's just a regular mechanical keyboard. I picked the function keys as I do use function keys.

The smaller keyboards (even Razer is joining the 60% bandwagon now) has all the keys, just hidden under an additional function layer. So if you already touch type, learning another key to hold isn't that difficult. And if there are some keys you want to use more often (like backtick for programming, or tilde...) , there are probably key remapping software either from factory or aftermarket that can let you do that. The catch is remembering it.

other than that? It's just a nice compact keyboard.

EDIT: I actually have a different keyboard on my desk... The Royal Kludge RGB keyboard, which is a 60% with 2 extra columns of keys to the right. No function row key, but you get the arrow keys and the other cursor cluster keys.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Kraken
Loading…

Post by Kraken »

I got this one a year ago. It's a full-size, lightweight board with almost no bezel. My only complaint is that, because it has no edges, it's almost impossible to pick up without pressing a key. For some reason, that key is always Caps Lock. It's probably the smallest full-size keyboard you will find.

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have two of these Jellycomb keyboards. I use them for the extra machines in my office. The keys are the same size as my laptop, it just trims everything around the edges and no number pad. I like them. They are wireless, and I never had to change a battery yet, but is not a full time keyboard for me. They don't have adjustable riser, if you don't like the angle then too bad. Its not flat on the desktop, has a maybe 15 degree angle, which is good for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Keyboar ... B0756XFFJZ
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

As it appears that I’m never leaving my house again, I made some home office upgrades, specifically the Logitech MX Master 3 mouse and the MX Keys keyboard. The allure here was that they are both Bluetooth, and both can connect to up to three PCs at once, and you can seamlessly move between the machines.

This will let me have one set of keyboard and mouse, and have it control both my work and home laptops without any fuss.

Right now I have a wired keyboard and mouse, and it annoys the crap out of me to switch them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm
Logitech MX Master 3 mouse
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm
Logitech MX Master 3 mouse
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
Yeah, it is by far the most comfortable mouse I’ve used. I like that it’s designed with programmers in mind. It’s super easy to disable the “ratchet” mechanism in the mouse wheel when you need to, and it flies in high speed mode. Very handy when scrolling through source code.

The side wheel for horizontal scrolling takes a little getting used to, but I have some large Visio-based UML diagrams I’m working on and it is awesome for that. Very smooth.

I also like how it integrates Alt-Tab into the mouse as well, and desktop switching if your into that sort of thing.

I’m less enthusiastic about the keyboard because it’s not here yet, and I don’t hate my Logitech GSomething mechanical keyboard. I just hate the wires and the inability to control two computers at once.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range

hitbyambulance
Loading…

Post by hitbyambulance »

my work peripherals of the past several years

don't like the wireless-ness of the keyboard as the dongle interferes with the laptop boot process and it needs to be removed every.single.time when restarting, but it is ergonomic and ten-keyless. also trackball is way more comfortable than a mouse.

(i don't usually work on an old sewing table, this is temporary)

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Kraken wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 pm
I got this one a year ago. It's a full-size, lightweight board with almost no bezel. My only complaint is that, because it has no edges, it's almost impossible to pick up without pressing a key. For some reason, that key is always Caps Lock. It's probably the smallest full-size keyboard you will find.
Quite the stealthy combo. I was about to press the buy now, then realized it didn't say anything about backlighting. I work in the dark a lot. The keyboard is backlit, right?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.

Kraken
Loading…

Post by Kraken »

Dave Allen wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:21 pm
Kraken wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Quite the stealthy combo. I was about to press the buy now, then realized it didn't say anything about backlighting. I work in the dark a lot. The keyboard is backlit, right?
Alas, no. On the plus side, its battery lasts forever. Last time it wore down, I'd forgotten it was rechargeable and spent several long minutes trying to find the battery compartment. I think I've charged it twice in a year.

Not that I'm trying to sell it. It suits me because I sit back with my feet on my desk and the keyboard on my lap, so I like the small size and light weight. I keep my office dim, but not dark.