General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Well I cant find you a system for $60 :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Did you check my "Find me a new PC system" topic? :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not yet.
KDH

Post by KDH »

CCleaner .. popular computer-cleaning tool, contained malware

The infected version is 5.33
Spoiler:
CCleaner is a clean-your-computer app beloved of people who own inexplicably slow PCs. If you installed recent editions of it, you were installing malware. But the company behind it hasn't gone rogue, reports Reuters. Hackers compromised their systems.

A version of CCleaner downloaded in August included remote administration tools that tried to connect to several unregistered web pages, presumably to download additional unauthorized programs, security researchers at Cisco’s (CSCO.O) Talos unit said.

Talos researcher Craig Williams said it was a sophisticated attack because it penetrated an established and trusted supplier in a manner similar to June’s “NotPetya” attack on companies that downloaded infected Ukrainian accounting software.

“There is nothing a user could have noticed,” Williams said, noting that the optimization software had a proper digital certificate, which means that other computers automatically trust the program.

The infected version is 5.33, and you likely have it if you installed the Windows version of CCleaner between August 15 and September 13. That's 2.3 million installs, admits Avast.

CCleaner's owner, Avast-owned Piriform, has sought to ease concerns. Paul Yung, vice president of product at Piriform, wrote in a post Monday: "Based on further analysis, we found that the 5.33.6162 version of CCleaner and the 1.07.3191 version of CCleaner Cloud was illegally modified before it was released to the public, and we started an investigation process.

"The threat has now been resolved in the sense that the rogue server is down, other potential servers are out of the control of the attacker.

"Users of CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 have received an automatic update. In other words, to the best of our knowledge, we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm."
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whoops. Mines been wanting to update for a while now and Ive ignored it. Checked the release number and yup 5.33...I let it update to 54 hahaha.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is my next case. Im hoping to be out of debt next year or so. Then I will rebuild my PC and this will be its new home.

EDIT to add model...Cooler Master H500p ...the new HAF. Theres another one too which I cant recall the model of.
Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:35 am 3D Xpoint memory: Faster-than-flash storage unveiled
A new kind of memory technology is going into production, which is up to 1,000 times faster than the Nand flash storage used in memory cards and computers' solid state drives (SSDs). The innovation is called 3D XPoint, and is the invention of Intel and Micron. The two US companies predict a wide range of benefits, from speeding up scientific research to making more elaborate video games.
OK. Let's go back to basics - why does it have that weird name?
It refers to the fact the technology is made up of a 3D structure featuring layers of wires. On each layer, the wires run in parallel to each other, but at right-angles to those on the layer below. In between each layer are vertical sub-microscopic columns, which connect the points at which the wires criss-cross. Each of these columns contains:
  • a "memory cell", which can store a single bit of data. This represents either a one or a zero in binary code
  • a "selector", which allows a specific memory cell to be read or rewritten. Access is controlled by varying the amount of voltage it receives via the wires
Enlarge Image
Intel Releases Optane 900P SSD Series
Today Intel launched its next phase of Optane based products with the release of the Optane 900P SSD Series. This series marks the second release of Optane technologies for consumer and the first that is more like a traditional SSD, the Optane Memory functioned more like a caching device. Intel will also be working with the developers of the MMORPG, Star Citizen, to include a free copy of the game and come DLC.

Back in July of 2015, Intel and Micron announced their partnership on a new type of NAND technology that they initially named 3D XPoint (pronounced cross point). The new technology promised several things including a big boost in performance. About a month later Intel announced that their version of 3D XPoint would be called Optane. Intel has since slowly dripped out a few products including the Optane Memory for consumers and the Optane DC P4800X for data centers. Today marks the first time consumers can get their hands on a fully sized SSD, up to 480GB.

The 900P Series offers several of the benefits one should expect with Optane technology: high performance (up to 2.5GB/s and 550K IOPS), low latency (< 10μs), and high endurance (8760 TBW). The new series has several use cases including engineering workloads, media creation (specifically game development), and gaming. On the gaming side and tying in with the promotion with Star Citizen, Intel states that users will see improved loading times, smooth game play, and high resolution textures and meshes (assuming the gaming rig has the proper graphical abilities).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Optane 900P SSD Series is available now with MSRP of $599 for the 480GB and $389 for the 280GB.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just installed Lineage OS (Android Nougat) on a Samsung Galaxy SIII (running Android Jelly Bean) - now i have to test for stability. speed and responsiveness seem fine, so far. hoping my work IT accepts it as secure, since i didn't give myself root access.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Picked up a 19"4:3 HP LCD monitor from Value Village for $10 to use as my 2nd display (since the power supply on my beautiful but aging 22" Viewsonic crapped out and I can't afford to get it repaired). Turns out it's in pretty much perfect condition. You wouldn't want such a display as your primary for your gaming rig, but as a second one it's phenomenal.

I was hesitant because I've never bought a non-returnable item from them before, and I had no idea if it had been tested. $10 is peanuts, but I don't have a lot of disposable cash right now.

Since we've moved right nextdoor to Value Village, I'm going to keep my eye out for other potential steals, as I could use one for my backup PC/server, and Mrs. Nym could use a 2nd monitor. They have another 22" Viewsonic right now for $20, but the model isn't rated particular well so not sure if I want to risk it. They often have other LCD displays, but most tend to be ancient.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I used to pick up monitors from Salvation Army or Goodwill thrift stores. But nowadays, I just go Criagslist.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Don't people on Craiglist think their 4:3 15" LCD from 2002 is worth $75? ;)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm Don't people on Craiglist think their 4:3 15" LCD from 2002 is worth $75? ;)
I still have one of those, HPL15xx-something. No one will ever want it, otherwise I would have given it away by now - it just feels wrong throwing out (even recycling) something that still works fine.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gilraen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm Don't people on Craiglist think their 4:3 15" LCD from 2002 is worth $75? ;)
I still have one of those, HPL15xx-something. No one will ever want it, otherwise I would have given it away by now - it just feels wrong throwing out (even recycling) something that still works fine.
i gave away an old (circa 2001, VGA input only) 17" LCD monitor on Craigslist two years ago - someone said they could actually use it for their computer.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have an ancient HP monitor that someone gave me hooked to my old dual-core, 4gb RAM system. It is on my desk next to my gaming PC and works fine for browsing while I game - to check a guide, etc. It has to be right around 2000,
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've had it with crappy network routers. Even the high end consumer grade has been crapping out on me. Black Friday turned out to be an excellent time to invest in some Ubiquiti UniFi gear. I went for a couple of access points, the security gateway, the cloud key, and two PoE switches. I can't wait to start building out a secure, fast, reliable network for once.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apple rushes to fix major password bug
Apple has said it is working to fix a serious bug within its Mac operating system.

The flaw in MacOS High Sierra - the most recent version - makes it possible to gain entry to the machine without a password, and also have access to powerful administrator rights.

“We are working on a software update to address this issue,” Apple said in a statement.

The bug was discovered by Turkish developer Lemi Ergin.

He found that by entering the username "root", leaving the password field blank, and hitting "enter" a few times, he would be granted unrestricted access to the target machine.

Mr Ergin faced criticism for apparently not following responsible disclosure guidelines typically observed by security professionals.

Those guidelines instruct security experts to notify companies of flaws in their products, giving them a reasonable amount of time to fix the flaw before going public.

Mr Ergin did not respond to those claims when asked on Twitter, and the BBC was unable to reach him on Tuesday.

Apple would not confirm or deny whether it knew about the flaw beforehand.

However, a member of Apple's support forums had posted details of the flaw more than two weeks ago, though the message appears to suggest the vulnerability could be a useful feature for troubleshooting rather than a critical security threat.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Time to time I still dream about building a new old DOS/WIN gaming system from the mid 90s. Now Ive realized I will have trouble nailing down just what it will be.

in my head now...

CPU - 486DX4-100 or a Pentium 166mhz
RAM - 32 meg or maybe 128 meg
SOUND - Sound Blaster 16 of course
VIDEO - GeForce 256 and VOODOO 1 or 2...or something older? No idea
MONITOR - my Sony 17" Trinitron I used for many many years. Only replaced it in 2007 for a LCD.

Rest is standard tech that will work...HDD, Mouse, KB
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I bought an SSD almost exactly two years ago, post Xmas 2015, and noticed yesterday it went from 100% life remaining to 99% life remaining. This worries me. At this rate I'll hit 80% in about 40 years. WTF? I paid good money for this SSD, I don't think it's too much to ask for something that lasts.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Bought a laptop this week. Open it for the first time. Seems like it had updates from Dec 2016. Sounds about right. Okay, a year of updates, I've got time. It's right out of the box. Updates keep falling. My wife is apprehensive to start using it because now she thinks something is wrong with it. Roll backs, second attempts. It all wants to do it automatically without giving me control to slow down the process.

Fuck you Microsoft.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 pm I bought an SSD almost exactly two years ago, post Xmas 2015, and noticed yesterday it went from 100% life remaining to 99% life remaining. This worries me. At this rate I'll hit 80% in about 40 years. WTF? I paid good money for this SSD, I don't think it's too much to ask for something that lasts.
Where do you check that? I've got a 1st gen SSD (Intel) that I've been using with no apparent slowdown or issues for many years (bought it and using it since 2010 or 2011 as primary OS drive). Should probably switch that out at some point I guess for a higher capacity drive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had to delete malwarebytes. They have no free one now just a 8 day or so trial. Shame too as it worked well and seemed to be improving in function over the years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Today GW2 has locked my machine up twice. Both times it did it when it gets to the boot to choose what mode I want Windows to start in its locked there too and I have to cold boot to get past it. im not worried about it its just curious. I left to eat and when I came back my PC had rebooted. Its like a power outage but there wasn't one. I thought maybe the cpu fan which is about to go had gone but nope. Anyways not worried yet. Just wanted to post so Id have a record to look back at if something more happened.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Worse than I thought. I'm writing this from my 7" tablet. The screen would go black then back then black do this 7 or 8 times even on the desktop then crash. On restart it would try to recover from a blue screen then crash again over and over. The one time I got into windows without it rebooting I downloaded new video drivers. It failed install on the 3d stuff. Tried again and they installed. Didn't help.

I'm thinking the video card is toasted. I'm trying to test my next oldest card which is a gtx 260 but its dvi not HDMI or display port. I can't find a cable. Found a VGA cable and two adapters but they won't fit in the damn monitor...it blocks the long horizontal pin. Wondering if I can break that pin off. Probably not. So as of now I can't find a way to test to see if its the card.

Edit....I wish this damn tablets built in spell or word checker would sodding go f itself....always using the wrong damn words!!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Shoved it back in because I remember it works fine in safe mode. Im guessing thats 2D and not 3D so it works. looks horrible. So I shove it in and reboot and now its working. In normal mode. Im not sure what to do.

Again symptoms were the screen would go black then back then black then back and after 5 - 8 times of this the system would hard crash then reboot and try to fix a blue screen then crash crash and reboot reboot.

If it will work or at least in safe mode until tomorrow Ill pick up a dvi cable while Im out somewhere.

I did notice one thing. The 2 extra power plugs for the video card. One is a 4 pin the other is a 6 pin. The 6 pin is a 4 + 2 type where the other two are separate. I had a HELL of a time aligning that pin set in there right. Maybe that was loose. But I dont think it would work without that and Im sure I would have installed it right the first time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also the ONLY change in weeks or months is cable speed up my internet from 60 meg to 100 megs this morning. Dont see how the heck that would bother anything plus it was fine until like noon.

EDIT: Wait looking at my posts here it seems it messed up at 5 am. Hmmm..still a speed increase should not bother anything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another odd thing...it appears its not using nvidia drivers or software. All I see in my settings is the Win 7 stuff. I clicked the nvidia software in my tray and it showed a error and now its gone completely. I think its just using my windows drivers. Hmm. Now Im afraid to install nvidia ones. Guess I have to find out though. Ill see about a driver cleaner first.

BTW checked both cpu and gpu temp during crashings...both were normal around 40c or less.

And Ive ran all my scanner...malwarebytes, ccleaner, security essentials, defrag and such.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok have run the new Guru3d driver remover and reinstalled geforce experience and the latest driver. So far so good. For some reason parts of my bio load screen on boot is now blue in text and others not. none of it was before. The blue coloring is new.

edit 2 other things. Geforce exp will not start from the tray unless I right click then choose it. If I choose nvidia control panel nothing happens. In gf exp it keep showing geforce ready driver ready to install on the top but I did that twice. Its the same driver. Used to it would install the latest then go away until i scanned for a new driver and say up to date or latest installed. Something is off someplace but the pc seems ok for now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hmmmm looking in Device manager my video card has a ! on it showing trouble. but it says the driver is up to date. I will run driver cleaner again and then just install the driver and leave geforce experience out of it all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fun day for reading Daehawk posts huh? :)

Well uninstalled gf exp and grabbed just the driver. Or so I thought . It the end it created a shortcut for GF Exp again. So guess theres no driver only now from Nvidia and GF Exp is a must use.

Still had the ! in device manager. So have uninstalled the device driver and rebooted. its loading new driver now. Ok installed and wants to restart. BRB.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok after deleting and reinstalling the video drivers twice and the display device driver once it seems to work. Its not rebooting or blinking black screens. BUT...I still have a error showing on my display diver card in hardware control panel and GFE when i start it is half black half missing so I cant even read it. And it keeps wanting to update to the latest driver even though it IS the latest driver.

So Im lost and Im done for now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That control panel error is a code 43. Cold boot didn't help not new drivers. And GFE is still showing new driver ready to download..even though I did and installed it. Im done again.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Code 43 looks to be likely hardware failure. Your video card might be pooched.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems to be. I tried two games I was just playing....Black mesa wont do a thing but shows loading then gone. Guild Wars 2 tried to but says unable to initialize 3d output. Plz verify dx9. EVGA better honor their lifetime warranty...hope its lifetime. its why I bought them. if not I have no card. Well that 260 or 280 whatever it is.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Talked to EVGA. Got it Jan 14 so 4 years old. Only had a 3 year. They wouldn't do a thing. So I cant do anything. That 260 card is from 2008 so it wont play games either really.

EDIT: Ok been 30 min Im not mad any longer. :) Looked at the 260..it has 850 megs of vram..that should run pong maybe haha. . Not sure what Im going to do at this point other than find a dvid cable tomorrow for this old card. For now the 2d is ok on my 770 still. Can watch videos and surf and such. Just cant do any gaming.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hahahahahahahahaha 1070 or 1070ti is $1200 hahahahahah Im sorta rolling but not really. Sigh. My own card if not broke is more expensive used than when it was new 4 years ago lol. No card for me. Maybe I should ask for feelers or ideas in the thread here looking for video card.. I am a bit curious as to what the 260 with 850 meg ram will play actually or what it will play at what quality haha. Its a 2008 card.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Still sounds heat related. How is the rest of the cooler on the card? Any dust in the heatsink fins? Also, is the heatsink still firmly attached to the card? Download hwmonitor and run it. It will let you know what the temps and fan speeds are on the card.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if all else fails, place it on a flat surface and put a heat gun/hair dryer to it

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems ok..fans fast...had a little dust but blew it out. Didn't help. Not tried heat yet. The 2d works but 3d wont and it wont initialize 3d. Also earlier a driver install failed on the 3d but worked the next go..that was before it failed totally.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dug out the cable from my old monitor. But its single link dvi so at 2560x1080 I cant read text at all. Going to try to find a dual link one tomorrow at Walmart. This 280 is 10 years old. Hope someone sees my video card search thread.