Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

jztemple2

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

Random Randomness? Hadn't been following that one.
“When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.”

― The Dalai Lama
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A while back, I bought an Acer convertible Chromebook. Not the good one, basically an 11 inch toy for me to play with, figure out what it's about, you know, that sort of thing. But I basically filed it away. I have a desktop and a laptop for other purposes.

Today my dad wanted me to get him something so he can write documents in Chinese. Hmmmmm!!!!!! I have a feeling he wants to write a novel. And I am NOT giving him my 17 inch laptop. And since he doesn't know pinyin, a keyboard wouldn't help. So, I choose you, Convertible Chromebook!

Since he doesn't type, I just folded the screen back and have him use it in tablet mode. And it actually works fine. Chromebook was able to do handwriting, zhuyin, pinyin, AND voice-to-text. And Google Docs works fine for his needs. Obviously, he had to learn how to use Docs, what the + (new) button does, what the checkmark does (save), how to use the IME ...

Last I checked, he has the title, the date and place entered, and the first sentence started. :)

So I guess an old dog (he's born in Year of the Dog, same as me) can learn new tricks. :D
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: Aven Colony, Everspace, Detective Di
raydude

Post by raydude »

Just bought myself the Roccat Vulcan 121 Mechanical Gaming keyboard. I haven't bought a new gaming keyboard since 2014 and this one was on sale. It's also my first mechanical keyboard. Holy crap, this thing is amazing to type on. I feel the urge to go write a novel or short story or something. Or at the very least play a text adventure :).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now wait until you've used that for a couple of months and try to use a membrane keyboard again. It's like typing in molasses.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought myself a "Verve Cam" as a novelty toy, and it's one crappy mess. I can see why Motorola failed spectacularly.

The idea is an "action cam" with battery and microSD card, with ability to stream to a phone (via WiFi) and can be read on PC as a storage device. Not a bad idea. The physical buttons are simple enough. The android app is a total mess and completely unnecessary.

First, somehow the device emits both a Bluetooth ID AND a Wifi SSID. And it ONLY talks to the app, not to a PC. The app apparently will use BLE to attempt to pair to it to update it, but due to "live view" bandwidth it had to connect via WiFi to act as a monitor. And that can't be automated. So manual WiFi config it is.

The device supposedly can live stream if you have a good upload speed, but it's going THROUGH your phone... And I could never got Google ID login to work properly. It just dies.

And hooking up to the camera after you set it up is hit and miss. And if it doesn't connect you pretty much have to reboot the phone to try it again.

It also has weird audio interference issues. I move my phone closer to the cam with preview on or off, and I get weird audio feedback... which is NOT mutable.

Seems the best use for it is just use it as a bodycam... turn it on and leave it on loop mode, turn it off when you don't need it. And skip the app altogether except to use it just to update the firmware.

For $25, I guess I should have bought something a lot smaller on Amazon or something, more covert than this "hockey puck".
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: Aven Colony, Everspace, Detective Di
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was having a WiFi problem, and ran into a problem of all these fancy devices... they all have SSID and auto-connect cause problems.

I have two WiFi routers, one is the ISP modem/wifi and the other was the Wifi AC I just replaced. When I didn't get any signals on both wifi are down, it's obviously that DSL went down. Went downstairs to reboot it. Had to do it about 5 times to get the DSL signal back. Confirmed all the devices are working now. All except my dad's iPhone. It won't log back. Hmmm.... interesting.

So I opened the settings.

The iPhone was logged into my Chromecast connected to his TV. WHich it did before, because I taught my dad to cast to it. Turns out he prefers to use a PC instead. So when the two SSIDs for the routers went down, the phone decided to log into the one that still had a signal... The Chromcast. Never mind it doesn't have internet. :-P Or the other 2 SSID's are back up.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was messing with OBS and managed to create a multi-camera setup, with my mug as an overlay into the corner of the gameplay video, AND with my phone acting as a second camera, and I can change between the views. It's actually kinda fun to mess with the setup. Haven't found any use for it, but it's fun. And that's without spending any money. I have a grip arm on my microphone swingarm and the grip works to hold my mobile phone. Running a free app on it made it into an IP camera for the OBS plugin. So with my webcam looking at me too that's two cameras on me and the game being captured, so it's 3 video sources combined into one scene.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:26 pm Okay, you guys convinced me. eBay ordered one. That link has expired, but I found a V2 for $45 and free shipping.

Now, what do you guys think of that "back button controller" add-on? :)
FWIW, the price is down to $20 on Amazon.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I honestly am not sure what product you're referring to.

Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 pm I honestly am not sure what product you're referring to.
I believe Kasey's referring to the DualShock 4 controller back button attachment.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 pm I honestly am not sure what [item] you're referring to.
Not an infrequent issue for me when reading these "randomness" threads.
2 + 2 = 4

Come play online poker with fellow forum members!