Microsoft Edge

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Microsoft Edge

Post by tgb »

So Win 10 comes with a new browser. Has anyone tried it? Is there any reason to switch from Firefox?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Hamsterball_Z

Re: Microsoft Edge

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Yes. No.

Haven't seen anything in it that would make me switch. Still needs some work. It might even be behind IE 11 in some ways since it's so new.
(HBZ)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I think it's fine, although I don't ask much of my browser.

I previously used IE11, and compared to that, Edge is faster and less janky. But I miss some of the more touchscreen-friendly aspects of IE11 that appear to be absent from Edge -- swiping left or right to go backwards/forwards, hiding/revealing the tab and address bars with a swipe.
tgb

Post by tgb »

AWS260 wrote:I think it's fine, although I don't ask much of my browser.

I previously used IE11, and compared to that, Edge is faster and less janky. But I miss some of the more touchscreen-friendly aspects of IE11 that appear to be absent from Edge -- swiping left or right to go backwards/forwards, hiding/revealing the tab and address bars with a swipe.
The whole point of the Win 10 upgrade is that most people didn't like the pseudo-tablet look and feel of 8, so I'm not surprised that's gone.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Death knell?
Microsoft's Edge web browser has seen little success since its debut on Windows 10 in 2015. Built from the ground up with a new rendering engine known as EdgeHTML, Microsoft Edge was designed to be fast, lightweight, and secure, but it launched with a plethora of issues that resulted in users rejecting it early on. Edge has since struggled to gain traction, thanks to its continued instability and lack of mindshare, from users and web developers.

Because of this, I'm told that Microsoft is throwing in the towel with EdgeHTML and is instead building a new web browser powered by Chromium, which uses a similar rendering engine first popularized by Google's Chrome browser known as Blink. Codenamed "Anaheim," this new browser for Windows 10 will replace Edge as the default browser on the platform, according to my sources, who wish to remain anonymous. It's unknown at this time if Anaheim will use the Edge brand or a new brand, or if the user interface (UI) between Edge and Anaheim is different. One thing is for sure, however; EdgeHTML in Windows 10's default browser is dead.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

If they get rid of Edge what are we supposed to use to download Firefox after a fresh install?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »