Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

New mouse time

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

hitbyambulance
Loading…

Re: New mouse time

Post by hitbyambulance »

20 months later, the OMEN mouse is still working just fine - no problems and it's comfortable enough. i am considering taking it apart to remove/disable the red LED.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I've got a Logitech G502 that has been occasionally double-clicking on its own for a bit now. Looking around for a "fix" I found mention of pulling up the buttons and squirting a bit of WD40 inside. :| Has anyone tried anything like that? I'm a bit... leery... at the moment.
-mf

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:53 pm
I've got a Logitech G502 that has been occasionally double-clicking on its own for a bit now. Looking around for a "fix" I found mention of pulling up the buttons and squirting a bit of WD40 inside. :| Has anyone tried anything like that? I'm a bit... leery... at the moment.
WD-40 is magic.

hitbyambulance
Loading…

Post by hitbyambulance »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
WD-40 is a water displacer, not a lubricant. i dunno why that would work.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:03 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote:
Granted, there are more effective lubricants available than WD-40, but it definitely does provide some lubrication. From the WD-40 wiki entry:
WD-40 is the trademark name of a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray.

Function
The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture. This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. A propellant (originally a low-molecular-weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) creates pressure in the can to force the liquid through the can's nozzle before evaporating. The product is also sold in bulk as a liquid to industrial companies.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

hitbyambulance wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:
I suppose it depends on your perspective. If a product is not specifically marketed as a lubricant then people would be right, technically, to say it's not a lubricant. But my view is if I can use it as a lubricant in certain situations, and it works, then it is a lubricant. I think what happens is the WD 40 displaces gunk and then coats the item so that more gunk can't form. In that way the friction is reduced, and for all practical purposes it's like you lubricated the item.

There's a guy on Youtube, Tech City Yes, who uses an Australian version of WD 40 as part of his PC parts cleaning routine. It does not seem to do any harm and actually makes the parts look pretty good. I don't remember seeing him use it on mice though, since I don't think he does anything other than replace malfunctioning mice.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

gameoverman wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 pm
hitbyambulance wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:
I suppose it depends on your perspective. If a product is not specifically marketed as a lubricant then people would be right, technically, to say it's not a lubricant. But my view is if I can use it as a lubricant in certain situations, and it works, then it is a lubricant. I think what happens is the WD 40 displaces gunk and then coats the item so that more gunk can't form. In that way the friction is reduced, and for all practical purposes it's like you lubricated the item.

There's a guy on Youtube, Tech City Yes, who uses an Australian version of WD 40 as part of his PC parts cleaning routine. It does not seem to do any harm and actually makes the parts look pretty good. I don't remember seeing him use it on mice though, since I don't think he does anything other than replace malfunctioning mice.
Been meaning to come back here for a bit now... this actually seems to have worked! Just wanted to pass that along. We'll see if it eventually reverts back to its old ways but so far so good. 8-)
-mf

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

Not getting the 'not marketed as a lubricant'. Most all places I look list it as a lubricant. Even WD-40s own product page list lubricant for its description.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I was also surprised to see there are more than one version of it available nowadays... stuck with the original recipe rather than the 'gel' variant.
-mf

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It can work as emergency lubricant, but it' lacks viscosity or thermal stability for demanding applications that should use a proper lubricant.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator