Yet Another PC Build Thread

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Yet Another PC Build Thread

Post by Paingod »

Any big snow storms coming your way? We had a UPS delivery cancelled on us twice last week due to weather.

Not attempting to curse your delivery or anything. I know the excitement of a pending system build... :D
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nothing till next week. In fact it's to be in the 50s/40s between now and Thursday.

WEATHER, DON'T FAIL ME NOW.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Paingod wrote:Any big snow storms coming your way? We had a UPS delivery cancelled on us twice last week due to weather.

Not attempting to curse your delivery or anything. I know the excitement of a pending system build... :D
You're more accurate than you think. This afternoon it began to snow (lightly). UPS truck showed up. Sat in the street for at least five minutes, clanking around in back. Came out and said, "well, my computer says it's on here but I can't find it. I'll continue my route and will return if I come across it."

*cue terrible, horrible thoughts in my head*

About 90 minutes later, he was back with my baby. Enjoying the setup process now.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Awesome!

I discovered recently that UPS drivers like it when someone meets them in the field to collect a package. It saves them the driving time, and time is everything to them. Call the 800 number to get them to call the local branch and have the driver call you to let you know when he'll be near you. Then you can grab the boxes and run laughing, no waiting until 5 hours later when they finally get there.

They also like it when you meet them at the truck when they pull in. It saves them a couple minutes, and if 10 people a day did that, they could get home 20 minutes earlier.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

If you buy a motherboard & cpu from NewEgg, will they assemble it and test it for you?
Mwave used to but apparently no longer. While I can do it, I don't really like to.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Bad Demographic wrote:If you buy a motherboard & cpu from NewEgg, will they assemble it and test it for you?
Mwave used to but apparently no longer. While I can do it, I don't really like to.
Last I purchased, it was an option for a small fee. They'd send it assembled.
Black Lives Matter

Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Paingod wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:If you buy a motherboard & cpu from NewEgg, will they assemble it and test it for you?
Last I purchased, it was an option for a small fee. They'd send it assembled.
I think they don't do that anymore - 'tho I could be wrong. I'd love to be wrong.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:43 am After more research and looking at parts and combo options this is what I'm looking at:

Core, MB, RAM $580
MKNSSDRE512GB 512GB SSD $150
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X 450W OC EDITION $430
Almost two years later the prices have actually gone up on the same components:
Core, MB, RAM: $667
MKNSSDRE512GB 512GB SSD: $213
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X 450W OC EDITION: $528

:shock:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blame the cryptominers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure what that SSD is but I see many brands for the original price in the 500gb size.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm
Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:43 am After more research and looking at parts and combo options this is what I'm looking at:

Core, MB, RAM $580
MKNSSDRE512GB 512GB SSD $150
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X 450W OC EDITION $430
Almost two years later the prices have actually gone up on the same components:
Core, MB, RAM: $667
MKNSSDRE512GB 512GB SSD: $213
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X 450W OC EDITION: $528

:shock:
2 years is a long time in the computer hardware world. I think part of what you are seeing also are parts that are no longer made, two years later, so there is a premium for whatever reason. Happens to TV's (pretty much all electronics) as well. There is a cycle of pricing when the component is still actively being manufactured, then a different cycle when manufacture stops. USUALLY that price spikes after completing that manufacturing cycle, simply due to lower supply. What you may be seeing with these parts is that effect...3rd party vendors trying to sell something relatively rare, thus a crazy high price (even when the performance has been eclipsed by newer, cheaper models).

Plenty of 2015 model TV's out there for sale, that are more expensive than better, more feature rich 2018 TV's currently being manufactured. The sales channels are also different, of course, which affects pricing considerably.