Yet Another PC Build Thread

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Yet Another PC Build Thread

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. I took that Best Buy-sold CyberPower deal I mentioned above, recreated something similar on the CyberPower site, and went a little bonkers with it. Here's the result. Thoughts? Not sure I'll go through with the upgraded spindle drives (thinking of you, Meal), but that would future-proof my photo storage a bit...
Spoiler:
*BASE_PRICE: [+1299]
BLKFRISALE1: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 Mechnical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable Blue LED Lighting [+0]
BLKFRISALE2: TP-LINK 802.11 AC Archer T1U AC450 Wireless 5GHz 433Mbps Nano USB Adapter [+0]
BLKFRISALE3: CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad [+0]
BLUETOOTH: None
CABLE: None
CAS: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Fully Modular HDD/SSD cages & Side-Panel Window
CASUPGRADE: None
CC: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
DOCKINGSTATION: None
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
FREEBIE_CU: None
HD_M2PCIE: None
HD_M2SATA: None
HDD: 512GB SanDisk X400 SATA III 6Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+155] (4TB x 2 (4TB Capacity) RAID 1 Data Mirror Security [+155])
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: None
MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/2800MHz Dual Channel Memory [+231] (ADATA XPG Z1)
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 3 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2
MOUSE: CyberpowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
PRO_WIRING: None
RUSH: Standard Process Time: Ship within 7 to 12 Business Day
SECURITY: None
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Video Card [VR Ready] (Single Card)
WNC: None
WTV: None
_PRICE: (+1809)
_view_: {C3BEF951-3868-4536-9393-65578EAB5648}
_load_: 8/23/2016 12:49:15 PM
Out-the-door cost $1718, or about $1400 if I drop the spindles and pull in my old 2 TB drives instead.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Where's the free games? Is that mostly an nVidia thing?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There were a few offers that I skipped over for now as I was just trying to get the bottom-line price. If/when I put the order in I'll look more carefully. Nothing jumped out as needed, though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seems a bit..spendy. You're into overclocking? I'm using nearly the same processor (i7 3.4 GHz 8MB cache) running stock cooling with no overclock. I'm also not sure about 32GB of RAM. That seems like a nice little chunk of the budget. As someone that just upgraded from 8 to 12 to now 16 GB, I honestly don't know what's "best".

I'm also not sure about your power supply. 600W seems rather low for a new machine, but maybe that's just based on my experience with an older PC that had a 600W power supply that ended up being the Achilles heel 6 years later.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:Seems a bit..spendy. You're into overclocking? I'm using nearly the same processor (i7 3.4 GHz 8MB cache) running stock cooling with no overclock. I'm also not sure about 32GB of RAM. That seems like a nice little chunk of the budget. As someone that just upgraded from 8 to 12 to now 16 GB, I honestly don't know what's "best".
I'm into a 10% increase on a $300 proc for $19, yes. :) No-brainer. The proc and RAM are primarily for photo/video processing rather than gaming specifically. Each RAW file is 32 MB, and Lightroom eats RAM like it's Doritos. I thought about going with 16 GB, but I wanted to preserve the ability to go to 64 GB in the future, meaning 16 GB sticks, meaning 16 GB would kill the ability to go dual-channel. I suppose I could go 2x8 right now to save cash, then use that cash in 2 or 3 years to just replace it all at one go, presumably at lower per-GB prices. That'd knock about $150 off the price, so I think you're onto something.
I'm also not sure about your power supply. 600W seems rather low for a new machine, but maybe that's just based on my experience with an older PC that had a 600W power supply that ended up being the Achilles heel 6 years later.
From what I've read, 600W should be plenty for this setup, though it's always possible that I'm wrong.

Updated to 16 GB RAM:
Spoiler:
*BASE_PRICE: [+1299]
BLKFRISALE1: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 Mechnical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable Blue LED Lighting [+0]
BLKFRISALE2: TP-LINK 802.11 AC Archer T1U AC450 Wireless 5GHz 433Mbps Nano USB Adapter [+0]
CAS: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Fully Modular HDD/SSD cages & Side-Panel Window
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
HD_M2PCIE: None
HD_M2SATA: None
HDD: 512GB SanDisk X400 SATA III 6Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+155] (4TB x 2 (4TB Capacity) RAID 1 Data Mirror Security [+155])
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/2800MHz Dual Channel Memory [+69] (ADATA XPG Z1)
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 3 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Video Card [VR Ready] (Single Card)
_PRICE: (+1647)
_view_: {C3BEF951-3868-4536-9393-65578EAB5648}
_load_: 8/23/2016 1:35:49 PM
Out-the-door: $1564
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: I'm into a 10% increase on a $300 proc for $19, yes. :) No-brainer. The proc and RAM are primarily for photo/video processing rather than gaming specifically. Each RAW file is 32 MB, and Lightroom eats RAM like it's Doritos. I thought about going with 16 GB, but I wanted to preserve the ability to go to 64 GB in the future, meaning 16 GB sticks, meaning 16 GB would kill the ability to go dual-channel. I suppose I could go 2x8 right now to save cash, then use that cash in 2 or 3 years to just replace it all at one go, presumably at lower per-GB prices. That'd knock about $150 off the price, so I think you're onto something.
Well, not that it's identical but my overclocked video card (old PC) is the reason I just dumped everything and went with a new machine. I purchased it not realizing it was overclocked and it was causing all kinds of problems in various games, likely due to my power supply. Anyway, it reinforced my gut feeling that overclocking = the devil...though hopefully you have better luck. :D

When I was getting the parts, I think the jump in prices for RAM (going to 32) was ridiculous but for gaming I was under the impression that 16GB was where you needed to be. If you're doing something else, you'd know better...but I'd also agree it will likely be cheaper a year from now.

Overall, I'm guessing no matter what you build, it will make your current PC look like a cardboard box with LEDs.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:Overall, I'm guessing no matter what you build, it will make your current PC look like a cardboard box with LEDs.
Ain't that the truth.

Also, I looked on Newegg and you're totally right on the RAM--I could go down further to 2x4 GB sticks in the CyberPower build, save another $69, then buy 2x8 GB on Newegg for $70. Net result is I only dropped from 32 to 24 GB and still saved $150 off my initial posted spec. Pretty sure I can live with 24 GB.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Depending on what you're doing, dual channel RAM doesn't seem to matter much (eyesore of a website, but decent testing). Rather than 2x4 I'd get 1x8 for now. One 8gb costs around $30-35, so just keep adding them in as you get the money.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Got my parts today.

i5 6600k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Samsung 850 Evo m.2 500gb
8gb ram

I didn't have a thumb drive on me so like an idiot I burned a disk for my Windows 10 install. Then I opened up my case to look at my 6 year old parts. There was a long ribbon-y cable on my DVD burner. Stupid IDE with no spot to put it on my motherboard. I would have just tossed the DVD burner but I needed it to install Windows. So I went over to Best Buy to see if they had a cheapie $20 one I could use instead. Nope, theirs are $40. So I got a $5 16gb thumb drive instead and went over to my cousin's to copy the files from my disk to my USB. Except the disk must have been bad because it stopped copying at 52% more than once.

In the end my cousin loaned me her laptop and I brought it home and set up a USB boot. What a huge waste of time.

Then when installing the massive CPU cooler I dropped one of the screws. And there are no extra screws. It took me 45 minutes to find the damn thing.

I finally got it built and it is glorious. The old machine took longer than 2 minutes to boot. This machine takes maybe 10 seconds. And I keep checking to see if the fans are running because it's so quiet. Also, for the past 6 years that I've had this case I must have screwed up the power LED, because I'm noticing that's new, lol.

Gotta love the adventures in PC building!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. I haven't placed an order yet. Will probably think on it and make a decision next week.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my current machine is running on 2009-2011 technology, but i mostly play older and small-studio games, so it's been perfectly good for that. most of my settings on NuDOOM are 'Medium' and it still looks fine.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Little update on my system. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is keeping my cpu nice and cold! It's around 17-20c idle and the most I've seen it is 46c at 100% load. And it's really quiet. I have a box fan on low in my computer room window and that's the only thing I can hear. The Samsung 850 evo m.2 SSD is getting around 550mb/s read/write, which is exactly what it should be.

Now I just need a damn video card, lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I posted some Newegg deals in the bargain thread area. Ill repost them both here.

16 gig G-Skill Ripjaw memory $60.99
Enlarge Image

ASUS GTX 970 Turbo video card $199.99 after rebate
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is what I just received from Digital Storm:
Spoiler:
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital / Seagate / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Nice! Except good luck getting rid of that McAfee ;).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

cheeba wrote:Nice! Except good luck getting rid of that McAfee ;).
Heh, luckily, it was not installed but came on a disk. And don't worry, I didn't install that piece of bloatware :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So there are people who get new PCs and don't immediately do a clean install of Windows? Good to know.

( :wink: )
stessier

Post by stessier »

The one I got from iBuyPower was a clean install - nothing installed that I didn't ask for.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Having my first bad experience with Newegg. Ordered a hard drive last week and they said I'd get it by the end of the day Wednesday. Then they said I'd get it by the end of the day Thursday. I'm in Michigan, and the damn thing shipped FedEx from Pennsylvania to Grove City, OH, to Perrysburg, OH, which is right next to Toledo. Then it went to Toledo, OH. From there it crossed the border into Michigan and it changed hands to the good ol' US Postal Service. For the past 4 days now it has been in transit from the USPS.

I guess I shouldn't bitch. Newegg has normally been so good that when one package finally takes longer than they say I get pissed off, lol. I might not use their free shipping option anymore, though.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Another update on my original build - the Corsair Vengeance RAM I had purchased has crapped out.

I had the PC set to Auto-Overclock, and it bumped itself by 22%. Shortly after installing and running Ark: Survival, the PC suffered a catastrophic crash that left it unable to boot up. In the end, I had to reset the BIOS, re-update it, rebuild the RAID array, and then it came back to life. I didn't lose any data - but since that incident, the computer crashed with regularity in Ark: Survival, and then I noted it crashed in pretty much any other game, too. At first it was annoying but kept coming on in shorter intervals.

Finally I ran a memory test that told me my RAM had gone south. It's gotten so bad that I've been just ignoring it for almost two weeks now just because I didn't want to deal with it (playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on my old DS instead). Last night I tried playing XCOM 2, which ran beautifully and flawlessly for me previously, and it crashed within 2 minutes of loading my first mission.

I've processed an RMA with Corsair and hope to have the replacement in hand today or tomorrow. :?

So, a lot of research and time invested to make the right computer and ensure all the parts cooperate by design and I've had a number of failures or broken parts. No show-stoppers, though. Nothing I can't work through... but annoying. I won't be overclocking it again. I don't know if that was a contributing factor or not (the RAM was supported by the MoBo for overclocking) but it's not worth risking it to get 1.3% more overall performance out of the PC.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zaxxon wrote:So there are people who get new PCs and don't immediately do a clean install of Windows? Good to know.

( :wink: )
There's nothing on the machine but Windows, it's a virgin :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least until you connect it to the Internet.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Well, my laptop hard drive died so I decided to bite the bullet and get a new comp. Was in a bind so I had to deal with off the shelf at Best Buy. They had an HP envy i7 6700 with 16GB RAM and a 2TB drive for 699. Had some on board video. Grabbed a new power supply and a 1070 GTX and wow! Moving from a Mobile Radeon 5800 to a 1070GTX is unreal. Can't wait for Witcher 3 to go on sale again.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paingod wrote:Last night I tried playing XCOM 2, which ran beautifully and flawlessly for me previously, and it crashed within 2 minutes of loading my first mission.
The RMA from Corsair arrived yesterday, and last night I got to try out XCOM 2 with new RAM installed and it was flawless. The memory passed checks, and I'm a happy gamer again.

I'm reluctant to fire up ARK: Survival again in fear that it'll fry the new Corsair memory, too... but I suppose a test is in order to see if it does while everything is still in warranty. If it does, then there may be some serious issue in the programming that the developer needs to know about, or a flaw in the memory that Corsair needs to address.

Either way, Corsair support was helpful and able to pre-charge me for RAM and send me a new kit before I sent back the old one. It's good to have a working PC again.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I ordered the following from Cyberpowerpc this week:
Spoiler:
BLKFRISALE1: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable RGB LED Lighting [+0]
CAS: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ USB 3.0, Side-Panel Window [+7] (Black Color)
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i7-6700 3.40GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache
LGA1151 (Skylake) [-40]
FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance [-3]
FLASHMEDIA: None
HD_M2SSD: None
HD_PCIE1X_SSD: None
HDD: 240GB SanDisk Z410 SSD + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+147] (Combo Drive)
HDD2: None
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+60] (Patriot Viper Elite [+60])
MOTHERBOARD: * ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - Corsair CSM Series CS750M 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+81]
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
USBHD: None
VIDEO: Integrated onboard Graphic [-175]
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+10]
_PRICE: (+1252)
_view_: {D9496BD4-917F-4E03-BCF4-5CF29C67B8C1}
_load_: 10/31/2016 7:16:43 AM
I went with a 6700 instead of a 6700K to save a few bucks, and because I usually don't overclock. Of course, the very next day AFTER I put in this order, they start a November sale with a free upgrade to the 6700k for those who order a 6700. :x

I sent them an email and asked if I was perhaps eligible for the upgrade due to the fact that they didn't put my order through until the day the sale started, but I'm guessing the answer will be no.

Will I regret not going with the 6700k? Or would I be upgrading to a whole new processor before I noticed any slow down in gaming. Oh, using it with an nvidia 970, by the way.

edit: <sigh> I'm so neurotic. I'm obsessing over not going with the 6700k and with missing the sale by one damn day. Apparently it's too late to cancel and reorder as it's already in production. :cry:

edit 2: And a couple of emails later, they went ahead and switched me out for the 6700K after all for the sale price of 0$. I guess my whining paid off!
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Cortilian wrote:Can't wait for Witcher 3 to go on sale again.
Witcher 3 Game of the Year Edition is $29.99 at GOG.com right now. Considering that the cheapest the DLC expansions have been so far is $22.48, I'd say it's a hell of a deal.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

It looks like I will be replacing my 8 year old desktop this holiday season. I plan on buying a customized system from someplace like Cyberpowerpc.

Can any of the online stores sell just a dull but spacious case? I don't want windows, colors, or funky shapes!

If I'm going for 1080p gaming at most (but still lower then that until next year) what video card should I aim for? Note that I'm currently using a AMD 5670 and just starting to find that it doesn't do what I need.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Just built a mini-ITX system in a Corsair Carbide Air 240. Neat little case fits ASRock Fatality Z170 mobo, Intel i5 6500, 16 GB RAM, a SSD and two HDDs. Used my old GTX960 for video.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:edit 2: And a couple of emails later, they went ahead and switched me out for the 6700K after all for the sale price of 0$. I guess my whining paid off!
Welcome to the 4GHz club. :dance:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Finally pulled the trigger a few months later than originally planned. Just couldn't resist the holiday sales. Happy Christmastime to me from my wonderful wife!
Spoiler:
*BASE_PRICE: [+1475]
BLKFRISALE1: CyberPowerPC RGB 7 Color Premium Gaming Keyboard [+0]
BLKFRISALE2: CyberPowerPC AULA Explosive 50mm Drive Analog Gaming Headset [White & Orange] [+0]
CAS: Thermaltake View 27 black Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Gull-Wing Window Skylight View + 4x RED Riing Fans
CASUPGRADE: RGB Multi-Color 16 color LED 1x interior light strip w/ Remote Controller
CD: None
EVGA_POWER: None
FLASHMEDIA: All-in-One External USB 2.0 Card Reader/Writer (Black Color) [+11]
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Black Death & 4-Game Mystery Bundle [+0]
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE Intel Holiday Gaming Bundle - Warhammer: End Times Vermintide and Tom Clancey's Rainbow Six [+0]
FREEBIE_HD: Free 3TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Single SSD Purchase for all Desktops
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE NVIDIA Indie bundle Dec 2016 [+0]
HD_M2SSD: 128GB Intel® SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s Read & 560MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD: 480GB SanDisk Z410 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 535MB/s Read and 445MB/s Write [-4] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+104] (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+120] (Corsair Vengeance)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+8]
RUSH: No-Rush Delivery: order will ship in 3 to 4 weeks. 5% off on all orders over $999 must enter coupon code "NORUSH" during check out.
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
VIDEO: EVGA GeForce® GTX 1060 Superclocked 6GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready] [-115] (Single Card)
VIVE_HEADSET: None
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
_PRICE: (+1538)
_view_: {65737865-0C01-4DC8-9168-315713AE08D6}
_load_: 12/12/2016 9:12:55 AM
NORUSH instant rebate $-76.90
Grand Total: $1,461.10
I think this is a pretty good deal--6700k, 32 GB RAM with space to go to 64 if I ever want to, decent video, 128 GB M2 drive for the OS, 480 GB SSD for games and Lightroom catalog, and 2x 3 TB spindles to keep Meal employed store our photos & music.

I dropped down from the 1070 to the 1060 to save $115. The 1060 should be far more than I need; biggest monitor is still 1080p right now. Still a little pricier than I'd have liked, but this should give me all I need for a few years. At that point I can put that $115 I saved into a better vid card.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks, Zaxx -- every little bit helps!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I bought a new system on Black Friday and it shipped yesterday. The worst part isn’t the actual waiting; I’ve been busy so I wouldn’t have done much with it until this weekend anyway. Instead it’s the creeping dread that I’ve actually purchased a machine that looks like a gaming computer. I’ve used my computers for gaming since the late 80’s when I first got a computer, but I’ve always had plain business looking boxes with a budget GPU thrown in. I don’t know how I’m going to react to a glowing object in the corner of the room.

• Intel® Core™ Processor i5-6600K 3.50GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
• 512GB Intel® SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
• 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
• 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory] (
• 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
• GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 (Pascal)

Paired with my existing sub-1080p monitor for now. It will be a terrific upgrade over my current Core 2 Dou E660, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, and HD5670 GPU.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Given the high end nature of the other parts (e.g., graphics card, RAM, SSD, etc) why didn't you get the i7‑6700K processor?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Mostly I bought into the statements that the sweet spot was the i5 / i7 is overkill. Last time I bought a system (8 years ago!) I had the same conversation with myself between the Q6600 and the E6600 (quad versus dual core). I picked the E660 and its still chugging along just fine. I've been held back by lack of GPU, memory, and recently by hard drive space but I have yet to see anything that was purely limited by the CPU.

Plus a couple of the other components (most notably the SSD) were on special upgrades for Black Friday.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Madmarcus wrote:Mostly I bought into the statements that the sweet spot was the i5 / i7 is overkill. Last time I bought a system (8 years ago!) I had the same conversation with myself between the Q6600 and the E6600 (quad versus dual core). I picked the E660 and its still chugging along just fine. I've been held back by lack of GPU, memory, and recently by hard drive space but I have yet to see anything that was purely limited by the CPU.

Plus a couple of the other components (most notably the SSD) were on special upgrades for Black Friday.
Overkill is the definition of a gaming rig. :wink: I like being able to install any game and have it default to the Ultra settings.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Moliere wrote: Overkill is the definition of a gaming rig. :wink: I like being able to install any game and have it default to the Ultra settings.
I've been running an HD5670. Just going to medium settings will seem like overkill!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:Finally pulled the trigger a few months later than originally planned. Just couldn't resist the holiday sales. Happy Christmastime to me from my wonderful wife!
Spoiler:
*BASE_PRICE: [+1475]
BLKFRISALE1: CyberPowerPC RGB 7 Color Premium Gaming Keyboard [+0]
BLKFRISALE2: CyberPowerPC AULA Explosive 50mm Drive Analog Gaming Headset [White & Orange] [+0]
CAS: Thermaltake View 27 black Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Gull-Wing Window Skylight View + 4x RED Riing Fans
CASUPGRADE: RGB Multi-Color 16 color LED 1x interior light strip w/ Remote Controller
CD: None
CPU: Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] Core[TRADE MARK SIGN] Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
EVGA_POWER: None
FLASHMEDIA: All-in-One External USB 2.0 Card Reader/Writer (Black Color) [+11]
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Black Death & 4-Game Mystery Bundle [+0]
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE Intel Holiday Gaming Bundle - Warhammer: End Times Vermintide and Tom Clancey's Rainbow Six [+0]
FREEBIE_HD: Free 3TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Single SSD Purchase for all Desktops
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE NVIDIA Indie bundle Dec 2016 [+0]
HD_M2SSD: 128GB Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s Read & 560MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD: 480GB SanDisk Z410 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 535MB/s Read and 445MB/s Write [-4] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+104] (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+120] (Corsair Vengeance)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+8]
RUSH: No-Rush Delivery: order will ship in 3 to 4 weeks. 5% off on all orders over $999 must enter coupon code "NORUSH" during check out.
VIDEO: EVGA GeForce[REGISTERED SIGN] GTX 1060 Superclocked 6GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready] [-115] (Single Card)
VIVE_HEADSET: None
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
_PRICE: (+1538)
_view_: {65737865-0C01-4DC8-9168-315713AE08D6}
_load_: 12/12/2016 9:12:55 AM
NORUSH instant rebate $-76.90
Grand Total: $1,461.10
I think this is a pretty good deal--6700k, 32 GB RAM with space to go to 64 if I ever want to, decent video, 128 GB M2 drive for the OS, 480 GB SSD for games and Lightroom catalog, and 2x 3 TB spindles to keep Meal employed store our photos & music.

I dropped down from the 1070 to the 1060 to save $115. The 1060 should be far more than I need; biggest monitor is still 1080p right now. Still a little pricier than I'd have liked, but this should give me all I need for a few years. At that point I can put that $115 I saved into a better vid card.
It shipped! It really shipped!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ah, but when will it arrive?
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Supposedly Thursday.