Space heaters or how Ive learned to hate modern products

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Space heaters or how Ive learned to hate modern products

Post by Daehawk »

In the old days stuff worked for a LONG time until it didn't. I mean I have stuff from the 40's that still works. Now days everything has to be smart and shut itself off even if you want it on.....air conditioners, heating pads, and heaters. But stuff is made so crappy today it interferes with that and they simply break.

Take my space heaters. Bought 3 Dec 2014. The first year they worked fine as most stuff does when new. Then last Dec they started giving me trouble. Out of those 3 NONE of them work right now. A single year later.

The coil element dish heater started shutting itself off on high if left on high more than 5 min....no matter how freezing cold it was. Low will work all the time but it doesn't help in 10 degrees.

The ceramic heater one day decided to heat the cord so hot it melts the cord and the plug to goo and part of my hardwood floor with it. Was fine then it wasn't.

Now today my infrared heater has started simply shutting off for no reason on high and low. It will be fine then BAM its off and wont come on again for about 10 minutes.

WHY cant anyone make a product like they used to? Everything is junk and made of plastic and hope. Really disgusted with products. And now I dont know what Ill do come winter again. Its ridiculous.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Re: Space heaters or how Ive learned to hate modern products

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you considered doing your household shopping at flea markets and antique stores? You could probably find plenty of older models. I'd have them checked, though, as plenty of the innovations since then have been useful, things like "doesn't set the house on fire."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: WHY cant anyone make a product like they used to? Everything is junk and made of plastic and hope. Really disgusted with products. And now I dont know what Ill do come winter again. Its ridiculous.
A consumer based economy doesn't work when consumers don't have to keep buying stuff. And longevity-focused product design for consumer goods doesn't help the bottom line.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Considering you've never found a product you like, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

That being said, plastic is less expensive than metal. Presumably you like being able to afford space heaters. They could certainly make an all metal, last forever model, but no one would pay for it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

They still make metal space heaters.

Our family had one similar to this one for many years, and it worked well, though the fan got noisy in later years. Since I moved out on my own though, I've never owned one. They use so much electricity that the cord would actually get hot, and I would worry about fire if left unattended (despite safety devices). At 1500 watts, I certainly wouldn't put it on the same outlet with your computer.

Daehawk, have you considered going with an electric blanket instead? Much quieter, and you could still game while covered up with it.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Giles Habibula wrote:They still make metal space heaters.

Our family had one similar to this one for many years, and it worked well, though the fan got noisy in later years. Since I moved out on my own though, I've never owned one. They use so much electricity that the cord would actually get hot, and I would worry about fire if left unattended (despite safety devices). At 1500 watts, I certainly wouldn't put it on the same outlet with your computer.
That looks like the same one I have. My dad gave it to me at least 10 years ago, it's been working great. I haven't had the need for it this past year or so, but before that I used it a lot. I know you're not supposed to leave the space heater on while you sleep, but I've done that anyway, since it never shows any signs of overheating (even when it's on for hours).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Giles Habibula wrote:They still make metal space heaters.
A heater for the milk-house? I'm pretty sure that's the one for Daehawk.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had one like that years ago. Used to use it in the dog kennel. It never seemed to work that well.

YA I have used a electric blanket for at least 25 years. They last about 2 seasons if lucky then die. Used to then use them in the dog kennel . Now I just toss them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A couple of good sweatshirts will probably out last a space heater anyway.

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LawBeefaroni wrote:A couple of good sweatshirts will probably out last a space heater anyway.
Or, if that's not sufficient, investing in a decent-quality Merino wool blanket combined with a good old fashioned hot water bottle (i.e. not the modern latex-free, plasticky rubbish), will definitely keep you warm n' toasty, and easily outlast the vast majority of electrical heating appliances.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

It's important to remember that a resistance heater is basically burning off metal, especially on high. It's like a lightbulb - the coils only have a limited lifespan. admittedly, they're likely using less durable metal than in years past, but if you're relying on this device to run on high for extended periods, you're not going to have much luck. You're probably better off with one of the "Buddy" propane heaters or a kerosene heater if you're looking to run it continuously.

The 20lb tank hose is in the "frequently bought with" section. You'll just need to rig a way to get the hose outside to the tank. The combustion is catalytic, so it doesn't produce carbon monoxide.

We used a kerosene heater in my parents' house for years. It's a very comfortable heat.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I have to wonder how much these appliances of Daehawk's cost.
Hodor.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

pr0ner wrote:I have to wonder how much these appliances of Daehawk's cost.
I wonder too. I bought a space heater new when my son was born, and it's still going strong 12 years later. As is most other electric items I've bought. I wonder if the wiring in his house or fluctuation in power delivery is causing premature failure.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Or heavy use. Daehawk, how many hours per day would you estimate the heater would be on?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its an old house yes.

I think the last 2 heaters costs about $60 - $80 each. Bought them when I had money. Whatever that is now.

We use them all winter in the bed room here where we close our self off in . Pretty much run them day and then some nights all during winter.

On one of them I can see a wire that comes from the coil has melted. I think thats why that one turns off in a couple min on high. The other that shuts off the same way i dont know whats up with it as its infrared not coil. And the ceramic heater now heats the cord to melting point and past. Just started it at the end of winter cold. Was fine for 2 years prior. The coil heater is about 5 years old. My little dog slept under it in winter and he died May 2013 so it was fine until 2013 or 2014. The infrared and ceramic I got winter 2014.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I think it's partially how the low level American employees handle products. The wheel barrow I bought today already had paint scuffed off the handles, I'll need to repaint. The clerk that offered to help me load the hopper started to slide it across the metal shopping cart scuffing it more. They normally sell the wheelbarrows assembled, but didn't have any assembled at the moment. They told me they could have one for me in three days. LMAO I asked if I could assemble it myself since all the reviews indicated it was an excellent wheelbarrow, but with really bad assembly. Maybe they should ship over some Chinese guys and keep them in the back room. :wub: The hour I spent waiting for them to bring me one, I could have had it assembled(without scratches mind you).

I try to avoid anything with electronic controls if it doesn't absolutely have to have electronic controls, clothing washers and dryers for example. Give be a rheostat instead of electronics every time. :horse:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO