i7 6700K or i7 5820 for top end gaming?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msduncan

i7 6700K or i7 5820 for top end gaming?

Post by msduncan »

It's my every 4 year gaming system time. Opinions between these 2 processors? The 6700k supporters point to higher scores on games. The 5820k supporters are saying Dx12 will be game changer for their processor scores. Thoughts?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
wonderpug

Re: i7 6700K or i7 5820 for top end gaming?

Post by wonderpug »

Are you sure you're not accidentally reading internet opinions from a year ago? It was maybe a tougher decision mid 2015, but at this point in time I don't know why you'd go for Haswell over Skylake unless you were trying to save money, and if you're trying to save money I think you're still better off getting a Skylake i5.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

wonderpug wrote:Are you sure you're not accidentally reading internet opinions from a year ago? It was maybe a tougher decision mid 2015, but at this point in time I don't know why you'd go for Haswell over Skylake unless you were trying to save money, and if you're trying to save money I think you're still better off getting a Skylake i5.
I don't think so (?). The interweb is full of 5820k advocates saying that their 6 cores are going to be better once DX12 starts being utilized.
It's 34 bowl victories.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Bought an i7 6700k myself in January.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 5820. I haven't read up on DX12, but your comments makes me think the 5820 owners are expecting the 2 extra cores (over the 6700k) will somehow outperform, which makes me think that DX12 will enable easy multi-thread processing for developers.

If that's the case, that's great. Awesome even. Would you rather have 4 cores of awesome or 6 cores of less awesome? Chances are by the time DX12 is out and mature enough to efficiently handle automated multi-threading you'll be ready for another 4 year upgrade.

I base that on nothing but experience with multithreaded coding and living through multiple DX iterations. That doesn't mean it won't be awesome out of the gate, I just don't think it will be.

I think the 6700K is a no brainer today. The future may result in cpus running more cores than 4 in games and being fantastic, but we're not there yet and the 5820 isn't the chip to do it, imo.

And let's not forget that we're living in a time where the choke point for gaming is the GPU, memory and bus. There isn't a huge difference between the i5 and the i7 for gaming, all else being equal.

As I was told when I was shopping, an i5 with the extra money spent on upgrading the video card is money better spent than an i7 with a less impressive video card.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I wound up going with the 6700K. Thanks for the help guys!
It's 34 bowl victories.

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm getting closer to my own 4 year gaming system upgrade. After poking around a bit it sure seems like it would be worth waiting more towards the end of the year when the new Kaby Lake processor comes out. It has support for the new xpoint SSDs and memory which is also due to appear around that time. It certainly looks like that could be a fairly big leap technology wise. Anybody got any thoughts on it?
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

ColdSteel wrote:I'm getting closer to my own 4 year gaming system upgrade. After poking around a bit it sure seems like it would be worth waiting more towards the end of the year when the new Kaby Lake processor comes out. It has support for the new xpoint SSDs and memory which is also due to appear around that time. It certainly looks like that could be a fairly big leap technology wise. Anybody got any thoughts on it?
All I know is that there is always another 'huge leap' around the corner. If I waited for every leap I'd never upgrade.
It's 34 bowl victories.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

ColdSteel wrote:I'm getting closer to my own 4 year gaming system upgrade. After poking around a bit it sure seems like it would be worth waiting more towards the end of the year when the new Kaby Lake processor comes out. It has support for the new xpoint SSDs and memory which is also due to appear around that time. It certainly looks like that could be a fairly big leap technology wise. Anybody got any thoughts on it?
If I were you I'd jump on a Skylake processor now but hold off on upgrading your video card until the Pascal cards come out. Supposedly that's on track for a summer release and from everything I'm hearing it'll be a huge leap over the current vid card chipsets.