laptop hardware changes

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

laptop hardware changes

Post by Moliere »

How hard is it to swap a hard drive on a laptop? I build desktops and swap gear all the time, but never on a laptop. Windows is giving a warning that the hard drive is about to fail. Not sure if it's worth the swap or just get a new one. My other concern is if I get a new hard drive how would I transfer the newly upgraded Windows 10 onto the drive? I don't have a disk and the previous Win8 was pre-installed.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Re: laptop hardware changes

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on the laptop. Cabling can be an absolute nightmare, as things are designed for tight tolerances. If I were looking into it, I'd be hitting up YouTube to see if it was full of easily breakable parts/cables before cracking the case.

The hardware tech at one job would up sending a laptop to the mfg because the cable was so flimsy due to the bendable nature of it, that anything other than a perfect install ended up causing broken wires.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Moliere wrote:How hard is it to swap a hard drive on a laptop? I build desktops and swap gear all the time, but never on a laptop. Windows is giving a warning that the hard drive is about to fail. Not sure if it's worth the swap or just get a new one.
While proprietary cabling and such certainly can make it trickier as Isgrimnur points out above, I doubt you're llikely to have much difficulty if you're comfortable building and swapping out desktop gear. Here's a decent generic guide from PC World for 'How to Replace Your Laptop Hard Drive.'
Moliere wrote:My other concern is if I get a new hard drive how would I transfer the newly upgraded Windows 10 onto the drive? I don't have a disk and the previous Win8 was pre-installed.
If you've already installed and activated Windows 10 on the laptop, you should be able to simply download Windows 10 and perform a fresh installation. Activation for the free upgrade version of Windows 10 is tied to your hardware configuration so you're not given a product key. But that shouldn't be an issue if you're merely upgrading a hard drive; during installation, just skip the part where it wants you to enter a product key and it should activate automatically upon completion.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Moliere wrote:How hard is it to swap a hard drive on a laptop? I build desktops and swap gear all the time, but never on a laptop. Windows is giving a warning that the hard drive is about to fail. .
My work laptop is getting the Windows warning that the hard drive is about to fail. I've been getting that warning for at least a year and a a half now, and it's still working fine :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also check iFixit. They sell tools for pc work and such but also have a library of videos and tutorials on how to repair or take apart products.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There are HD transfer kits you can get at BestBuy. A USB cable to SATA and drivers / software. Run it and it'll clone your entire existing HD to the new HD. Then swap the HD, and you're done. I did this when I did the SSD swap.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds