BSOD - Bad Sys Config Info 0x74

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD*

BSOD - Bad Sys Config Info 0x74

Post by DD* »

Happily playing Witcher 3 last night when *BAM* BSOD. "Bad sys config info 0x000000074" Error mentions new hardware / software as a possible culprit but there is nothing new on the box. System repair and system recovery both end in BSOD. Boot to safe mode also gives BSOD. Lots of noise on the web indicating that this is likely either a registry that is fubar (MSDN) or a hardware error, possibly memory.

Planning to pull all memory but 1 stick tonight (I'm 4x2 GB) and start testing them one at a time. Just in case, I bought a 16GB set (two 8 GB sticks) from Newegg today as you can never be too sure and "hey 16GB is more than 8GB so reasons"

Any other thoughts let me know...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Re: BSOD - Bad Sys Config Info 0x74

Post by Isgrimnur »

Memtest before you crack the case.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Isgrimnur wrote:Memtest before you crack the case.
Not familiar with that tool, but how can I run it if I can't even get the machine to boot?

*never mind, I see it can make a bootable usb.
Last edited by DD* on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

IGNORE ME!

Reading is fundamental.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Isgrimnur wrote:IGNORE ME!

Reading is fundamental.
Now you lost me....

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dunno if it will work or not.

memtest86
MemTest86 is the original, free, stand alone memory testing software for x86 computers. MemTest86 boots from a USB flash drive or CD and tests the RAM in your computer for faults using a series of comprehensive algorithms and test patterns.
The number 86 following the MemTest part of the name, refers to the original x86 CPU instruction set that all of today's PCs use. This covers both 32bit and 64bit machines. (So there is no need for a future product called MemTest64).
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

April Fools'!

This was a tough one for us all to bring to fruition, but you don't actually have bad sys config info 0x000000074. You have bad sys config info Bad sys config info 0x000000047.
DD*

Post by DD* »

wonderpug wrote:April Fools'!

This was a tough one for us all to bring to fruition, but you don't actually have bad sys config info 0x000000074. You have bad sys config info Bad sys config info 0x000000047.
Heh. And you guys popped the joke 40 minutes too soon. Losers. :)

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

DD* wrote:Any other thoughts let me know...
I'd suggest using one of these bootable rescue toolkits to ease the diagnostic/troubleshooting process (most of which include the aforementioned MemTest86, along with a veritable Swiss Army Knife of other useful tools).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
DD*

Post by DD* »

running memtest right now...

DD*

Post by DD* »

Memory was fine. Ended up reinstalling Windows to fix the issue.