Will a spinner HD slow my system down?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Will a spinner HD slow my system down?

Post by Daehawk »

Wait! Hold up. Its not what you think exactly. I replaced my OS drive with a SSD a year or so ago and I plan to replace my game drive with one when I can. So I have a spinner one that is my storage drive...things like music and old games, and pics and such. I plan to keep it and maybe even add my WD Black 7200rpm game drive as a second storage drive.

BUT..are the spinner drives slowing my system down? Would my computer and my gaming all be faster without them?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Re: Will a spinner HD slow my system down?

Post by wonderpug »

Your spinner drives cannot spin in such a way as to slow down your SSD, no. :)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

wonderpug wrote:Your spinner drives cannot spin in such a way as to slow down your SSD, no. :)
Unless they're spinning the opposite way...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I suppose, theoretically, if Windows needed to index something on them or you had your swap file on them (which some people would recommend vs having it on an SSD), then, yes. It will slow your system down. It will be such an insignificant slowdown that you'd be incapable of noticing it without a stopwatch, though. We're talking 27 second boot time vs 28.5 second boot time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think the swap file reason is the way SSD memory works and failure after a time .But I think the failure time is so great Id most likely replace the drive before it would fail. I usually replace a HD around the 5 year mark.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:I think the swap file reason is the way SSD memory works and failure after a time .But I think the failure time is so great Id most likely replace the drive before it would fail. I usually replace a HD around the 5 year mark.
That's why I said "some people." From what I've read it isn't really as much of a concern as it was a few years ago - most people are unlikely to reach the write limit.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think it was Ars that did a test where the SSDs were still going after Petabytes worth of read/writes. That's a lot.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

$iljanus wrote:
wonderpug wrote:Your spinner drives cannot spin in such a way as to slow down your SSD, no. :)
Unless they're spinning the opposite way...
Crazy thing, Maxtor drives did spin in the opposite direction as the rest of the HDD vendors. I never knew the story behind it, though.
Blackhawk wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I think the swap file reason is the way SSD memory works and failure after a time .But I think the failure time is so great Id most likely replace the drive before it would fail. I usually replace a HD around the 5 year mark.
That's why I said "some people." From what I've read it isn't really as much of a concern as it was a few years ago - most people are unlikely to reach the write limit.
This is my understanding as well.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra