Quicktime is dead

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Quicktime is dead

Post by Isgrimnur »

PC World
After Apple cut and run on an insecure QuickTime, leaving millions of Windows users at risk, the fix seemed easy: uninstall it. But extrication of Apple’s long-criticized media player isn’t actually that easy for everyone.

Why this matters: On Friday the Department of Homeland Security advised Windows users to remove QuickTime once it became clear that Apple had washed its hands of QuickTime for good, leaving two outstanding security holes in it. But, although Apple’s own iTunes for Windows no longer depends on QuickTime, several of Adobe’s video-focused applications such as Premiere Pro and After Effects install QuickTime by default.

”Unfortunately, there are some codecs which remain dependent on QuickTime being installed on Windows, most notably Apple ProRes. We know how common this format is in many worfklows, and we continue to work hard to improve this situation, but have no estimated time frame for native decode currently,” Adobe’s Madison Murphy said in a blog post this weekend.

”Adobe’s desire has always been to support everything natively without the need for QuickTime. As a result of the above we intend to increase our efforts to remove these incompatibilities, and provide our customers with a complete native pipeline. We will provide more information on this as we progress,” the blog continued.

This hasn’t left the graphics community with a warm feeling.

Chris Dickman, founding editor of graphic- and design-focused website Graphics.com, had harsh words for Adobe after the news broke.

”Unfortunately? Let me paraphrase that for you: ‘We didn’t see this coming, your systems are compromised if you keep using our software and we will make no commitment to fixing this,’” Dickman said in a blog post. “Sweet. Of course, Windows users are just expected to suck that up. Although all hell would have broken loose if Adobe’s Mac-based video community had been put at similar risk,” he added.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Re: Quicktime is dead

Post by Kraken »

I always considered QT a virus for the way it wrapped its tentacles around your OS and refused to let go. Never allowed it on any of my machines.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote:I always considered QT a virus for the way it wrapped its tentacles around your OS and refused to let go. Never allowed it on any of my machines.
Same. Hated fighting against that parasitic piece of shit for so long. Good riddance.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Glad to see it go. I always avoided it because it was useless to me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.