Need advice on buying RAM

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Need advice on buying RAM

Post by Holman »

Discussions of some upcoming games persuade me that I want more memory. Unfortunately I know nothing about buying it. (I do know how to slot sticks in and out.)

The stock memory that came with my system is listed as "8 GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Performance Series." Looking at my motherboard, it looks like my memory comes as two sticks of 4 GB each, and I only have the two slots to work with.

I'd like to kick that up to 12 GB or even 16 GB, but I don't know RAM and I don't know what to buy. What do I need to know? How do I pick reliable, strong performance memory (doesn't have to be absolute top of the line), and what does it cost?

My processor is an i5-4570 quad core, if that makes a difference. I run Win 10 64-bit. Is there any other info I should supply?

Thanks for any advice!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Re: Need advice on buying RAM

Post by Isgrimnur »

MB makes the difference here. Find the exact model and look at the manual or use the Corsair memory finder.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

According to my docs, my MB is "ASUS Z87-C (Intel G87 chipset)".

The model is a 2014 "Vanquish I" from Digital Storm, which doesn't appear in the Corsair Memory Finder list.

EDIT: OK, I can search by MB.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Specs
4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:Specs
4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
Thanks, Isgrimnur. I look at that, though, and I'm not sure what it's telling me. I'm trying to figure out what to buy.

A total stranger elsewhere suggested this. Does it seem like a good choice?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It looks like it will work, but I'm no expert. It is DDR3 and 1600MHz, which matches your MB specs. I'd be price comaring for something up the memory speed if the price didn't factor too greatly, myself. But it's been a while since I've been in the market to know if there would be.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FWIW, the G.Skill Ripjaws memory you linked to on NewEgg costs $67.99, but this Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit on Amazon has identical specs and costs only $52.99. It's always been a trusted and reliable brand in my experience, so I'd go with the more affordable Crucial kit if I were you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thank you both!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:I'd go with the more affordable Crucial kit if I were you.
Crucial is a go-to for me at work. I find their memory pricing is better than most anything else - even when I buy new computers to roll out, I can save $20 on each by upgrading the memory on every other one (doubling up in one from another and then adding the same from Crucial in the other) using their site instead of buying it through Dell.

Most memory is fine to use side by side as long as the clock speeds and type match (in my experience; yours may vary) and it only becomes something to worry about if you're going to start playing around with overclocking. Then you need to adhere to motherboard specs and manufacturer recommendations or you'll end up with something unstable.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I went with the Crucial. Thanks for the rec, AB!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Thanks, Isgrimnur. I look at that, though, and I'm not sure what it's telling me. I'm trying to figure out what to buy.

A total stranger elsewhere suggested this. Does it seem like a good choice?
It says you have 4 slots, for one thing. You should be able to buy new memory while leaving your old memory in there, which will probably make things cheaper for you.

Why do you think you only have 2 slots?
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: It says you have 4 slots, for one thing. You should be able to buy new memory while leaving your old memory in there, which will probably make things cheaper for you.

Why do you think you only have 2 slots?
Ah, I see now that there are four slots. I was wrong earlier.

Perhaps I've made a mistake, then. I had 2 sticks of 4GB RAM, and I've just now bought 2 sticks of 8GB RAM. Is it OK for me to slot the new memory in there next to the old (meaning I'd have 2X4GB plus 2x8GB for a total of 24GB), or do they all need to be identical?

Likewise, the new memory is a different brand from the old? Both are DDR3 1600 MHz. Are there considerations I don't understand (voltage?) that will make this unwise?

Again, a neophyte thanks you for the advice.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mixed memory will all run at the slowest memory installed. Im not sure how dual channel will work with that mixed memory setup.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Holman wrote:Perhaps I've made a mistake, then. I had 2 sticks of 4GB RAM, and I've just now bought 2 sticks of 8GB RAM. Is it OK for me to slot the new memory in there next to the old (meaning I'd have 2X4GB plus 2x8GB for a total of 24GB), or do they all need to be identical?

Likewise, the new memory is a different brand from the old? Both are DDR3 1600 MHz. Are there considerations I don't understand (voltage?) that will make this unwise?
You should be able to fill all the slots without any problems, even if the RAM isn't branded identically. However, it's always a good idea to consult the manual for your motherboard prior to adding new RAM, as it'll almost certainly have detailed instructions for what order the memory slots should be filled, and which configurations will work best (e.g. correctly pairing the RAM for maximum performance).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Manual

Section 1.4. Pages 1-14 to 1-17 cover who they recommend regarding 1600MHz memory.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Looking at the timing, the two sticks of 4GB RAM I have in there are labled as 11-11-11-28 timing, while the two sticks of 8GB RAM I just bought are 9-9-9-24. Should I assume that this means they won't play well together?

Also, if I add or swap in the new memory, do I need to play around with anything in BIOS?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just a bump for the above question, as I'm thinking of installing RAM this weekend.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe others can respond but by memory..haha..memory.....like I said the slowest in the system will be what even the faster will run at. As for bios I never have...as I recall.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Holman wrote:Looking at the timing, the two sticks of 4GB RAM I have in there are labled as 11-11-11-28 timing, while the two sticks of 8GB RAM I just bought are 9-9-9-24. Should I assume that this means they won't play well together?

Also, if I add or swap in the new memory, do I need to play around with anything in BIOS?
You'll definitely see better performance by not mixing and matching your RAM (i.e. simply replacing the 8GB of 11-11-11-28 RAM, with the new Crucial pair). Realistically, you're unlikely to require or use 24GB of RAM for gaming anytime soon, so I'd suggest just sticking with the newer, faster Crucial RAM for maximum performance and stability.

You shouldn't need to futz with anything in the BIOS. Just follow the recommended memory configuration shown in the manual Isgrimnur linked to (using the illustrated slots A2 and B2), and you should be good to go with dual-channel.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks again!