Chromecast weirdness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Chromecast weirdness

Post by Jeff V »

This problem started a couple of weeks ago. When I launch the NBC app on my phone, I can watch the local NBC Chicago feed just fine (I do this for the morning news). However, when I turn on Chromecast, I get the local feed from Philadelphia. :? Any ideas what might be going on here? The only time I watch an NBC live feed is either for local news or sports. I'd rather not be stuck having to watch it on my phone.
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Re: Chromecast weirdness

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Jeff V wrote:This problem started a couple of weeks ago. When I launch the NBC app on my phone, I can watch the local NBC Chicago feed just fine (I do this for the morning news). However, when I turn on Chromecast, I get the local feed from Philadelphia. :? Any ideas what might be going on here? The only time I watch an NBC live feed is either for local news or sports. I'd rather not be stuck having to watch it on my phone.
Probably related to DNS.

Chromecast is "hardcoded" to use Google's DNS servers.

If that is the cause, some routers can redirect DNS requests (port 53) to the DNS server that you want.

Another way to stop Chromecast from using Google's DNS servers is to block them from Chromecast. If Chromecast can't reach those DNS servers, it'll fallback to the default DNS servers that you setup in the router.
Jeff V

Re: Chromecast weirdness

Post by Jeff V »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
Jeff V wrote:This problem started a couple of weeks ago. When I launch the NBC app on my phone, I can watch the local NBC Chicago feed just fine (I do this for the morning news). However, when I turn on Chromecast, I get the local feed from Philadelphia. :? Any ideas what might be going on here? The only time I watch an NBC live feed is either for local news or sports. I'd rather not be stuck having to watch it on my phone.
Probably related to DNS.

Chromecast is "hardcoded" to use Google's DNS servers.

If that is the cause, some routers can redirect DNS requests (port 53) to the DNS server that you want.

Another way to stop Chromecast from using Google's DNS servers is to block them from Chromecast. If Chromecast can't reach those DNS servers, it'll fallback to the default DNS servers that you setup in the router.
Sounds plausible, I'll give that a try, thanks.
Black Lives Matter