Question for those still building machines

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Question for those still building machines

Post by LordMortis »

My machine is hitting too old to run even not so intense new games. It's time to move on to Windows 10.

I'm not looking for the ultimate gaming machine but I am looking for a gaming machine to last for a long time. My current machine made it 7 years before becoming impractical.

I'd just by cheap prebuilt if it weren't for so many games not liking internal video cards.

So I'm looking at buying local:

http://cantoncomputers.com/PriceList/pricelist.pdf

Really, what's the minimum I should do for a gaming rig I expect to last 2022 for not so intense requirement gaming?

Ugh. I hate building machines.
LordMortis

Re: Question for those still building machines

Post by LordMortis »

And... They're building it for me. I didn't brink in the specs but when it's all said and done Stellris is going to be a about a $940 game.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

nVidia is releasing it's new card, GTX 1080, next week and it should have an impact on current card prices since the retail price is $600 for a card that is fast than the current Titan X priced at $1000. Next month they release the 1070 for $380 which could be faster than the 980's that are currently $600.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

DOS=HIGH wrote:nVidia is releasing it's new card, GTX 1080, next week and it should have an impact on current card prices since the retail price is $600 for a card that is fast than the current Titan X priced at $1000. Next month they release the 1070 for $380 which could be faster than the 980's that are currently $600.
I was too impatient. I want to play Stellaris. Normally I'm all about the wait and be cheap. I still don't have a big flat screen TV. I've been watching the prices come down since a 45" Panasonic thin rear projection TV was about $1600 and still haven't bought one.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: I was too impatient. I want to play Stellaris. Normally I'm all about the wait and be cheap. I still don't have a big flat screen TV. I've been watching the prices come down since a 45" Panasonic thin rear projection TV was about $1600 and still haven't bought one.
I thought you were going to wait for me. :x

Now I think I'll just remove that game from my radar altogether. That thread hasn't been all that compelling, and I'm sure I'll be stuck on Civ 6 for years to come.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Aren't the knew video cards supposed to be a big jump in efficiency/performance?

Could be hype, but this might actually be a case where waiting a few weeks would have been a really good idea.

Congrats on a new build though :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't get a really really expensive card. I can always replace it later right?

Don't go giving me buyer's remorse. I got that second I gave them my credit card.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote:Don't go giving me buyer's remorse. I got that second I gave them my credit card.
It's what we do! Talk you into it and then guilt you about it after.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Just to make you feel better, those prices don't seem gouge-y considering they have a B&M store to keep open. Canton probably has expensive rent given the billions of people who drive through it every day. All of them through the exact same 2 miles of Ford.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

First off...atta boy!

Second...I was going to post that I bought a $400 refurb i5 HP Envy off of Woot! in February. I added a GTX 750 Ti video card for $110. Then, last week, I threw in another 8-meg stick of RAM to max out the mobo at 16-megs. That was $30. At the same time I installed a Samsung EVO 500 gig SSD for $150.

Now that the warranty is gonna expire this weekend I will do a fresh install of Win10 on the SSD to get rid of all that HP bloatware. I will use an abandoned Win7 license from work to install and then take the free upgrade.

I don't feel like I had to build my own system. I do enough of that shit at work, I didn't want to do it at home either. I just hella upgraded, not the same thing at all.

So yeah, I feel you. Fallout 4 was ( including DLC Season Pass) an $815 game. Totally worth it!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's in my car. I've been here since 06:00. I've already put in my 8 hour day. I'm ready to go home and I'm not going anywhere for another 3 hours. By the time I get home I'm gonna too tired to play with my new toy.

This sucks.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

LordMortis wrote: By the time I get home I'm gonna too tired to play with my new toy.

This sucks.
Is normal.