Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

AMD set to release RX480 for $199

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077432/ ... asses.html

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/31/amds ... -just-199/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10389/amd ... th-for-199

Enlarge Image

Thats the speed or performance of a GTX 980 I think..for $199!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow I want one. The interview I saw said its their way of bringing VR to the masses.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Giles Habibula

Re: AMD set to release RX480 for $199

Post by Giles Habibula »

Memory bandwidth of 256 GB/s?
Those are really good numbers for $200.
Where was this last year? If it had come out then, it may have been enough to switch me to Radeon. And I'm sure a lot of folks will switch, unless NVidia has something at that price that can compete. And with the jumps they're making with the 1070 and 1080, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Should be an interesting time for video cards, and a great time to buy coming up soon.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im Nvidia always but Id take this if I had the money. Im using a GTX 770 which is doing great but long in the tooth and this would blow it away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm very curious to see how this compares to the Nvidia 1070 which is seemingly the greatest thing ever. If this card fits between the Nvidia 970 and 980 that's certainly going to make things interesting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Very and the GTX 980 runs $400 - $550
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I'm very curious to see how this compares to the Nvidia 1070 which is seemingly the greatest thing ever. If this card fits between the Nvidia 970 and 980 that's certainly going to make things interesting.
How about it vs the 1080? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eina_dk_HgE
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I saw this as well. It's going to be very interesting to see how NVidia reacts. The last time this happened there was a big price war. I hope that happens because, as consumers, we'd benefit greatly from that.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I really cant wait til some sites get their hands on this card. It will be nice to see independent figures. I'm buying a new rig in July or August and had resigned myself to a 1080 but if I can get close to the performance for a couple hundred less...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Are two RX 480s faster than a single GTX 1080?
I love a good PR stunt or outlandish claim as much as the next guy. You know the type—where a company decides that the best way to tell people about a new product is to slaughter a few goats and serve fake entrails up to guests or to declare that a certain developer is going to make you his bitch. Imagine my delight, then, when AMD's Raja Koduri took to the stage during the unveiling of the RX 480 to say that, with two of them in Crossfire, they were faster than Nvidia's GTX 1080 and would cost far less. Everyone was intrigued.

Here's the thing about making bold claims involving competitor products, though: you'd better be damn sure those claims stand up under scrutiny. Sooner or later, someone will actually test it.

With the RX 480 in shops and the initial batch of press reviews near universally declaring it an excellent graphics card for the budget-minded gamer (something I agreed with too), it's time to put AMD's bold claims to the test. Are two AMD RX 480s faster than a GTX 1080?

In a word: no. In fact, they're not even faster than a GTX 1070 in many games. To be fair to AMD, though, the company only ever said that two RX 480s were faster than a GTX 1080 in one game, under specific settings. So let's start with that one.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

The RX480 seems to be sold out everywhere. Legitimate customer reviews appear to exist, so it looks like it has been released, but NewEgg and other places showing a $199 price all have it out of stock. (Of course it seems possible to buy it for $300 from a few vendors, but that defeats the purpose.)

Does anyone know when the RX480 will be available at MSRP in quantity?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It seems to be as popular as I thought it would be. The raised prices do surprise me. I guess due to it being sold out all over.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm in the market for a videocard upgrade. I'm looking at 1080p gaming, which leaves GPUs like the 460 and 950 out. Looking at reviews, the 470 at $180 sounded good, but they're going for almost $200 w/shipping included. That's 480 4gb price range, so I looked at 480s. They are going for well over $200 IF you can find one.

Right now sounds like a great time to choose a card but not a great time to buy one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumor says nVidia is set to release a 1080ti so prices should fall more. I was hoping the 980ti would be super cheap by now but nope...it may never undersell the 1060.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Supposedly the RX480 supply shortage will be fixed soon. Shouldn't have a problem finding the $200 parts then.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Now the 1060 is available at $200, a 3gb version. I need to see benchmarks first but unless something is wrong with only having 3gb I think that's what I'm going with.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Personally if I were buying now Id get nothing below 4gb .

I look at it as 4gb min, 6gb standard, and 8gb future proofing.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The problem I have with 'future proofing' is that by the time my current component no longer hacks it, the new components that are out will be even more powerful and/or cost less than they do now. For instance, let's say 4gb is necessary now. If you were to buy a 6gb card for future proofing, by the time you'd need those 6gb to play games, the games themselves will require cards more powerful than are being sold now. The extra memory will be the least of your needs. There might be new Directx features or something required. You would have paid extra for something that didn't help you now, and won't be adequate then either.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:Personally if I were buying now Id get nothing below 4gb .

I look at it as 4gb min, 6gb standard, and 8gb future proofing.
Unless you're gaming at 4K, and to some extent, even if you are, 6GB is unnecessary.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If you are gaming at 4k right now, then you buy the card that will run the games you play, at the framerate you require, at 4k right now. If you try to future proof, by spending more on a card that you think will still allow you to run Xmas 2017 games at 4k, I think that's a mistake. A lot can change between now and then. You might find that in late 2017 you're going to need a new GPU to hit the same framerates at 4k on the new games. If that happens then it'll mean the extra money you spent now was a waste.

Sometimes game technology does stagnate a bit. So maybe you can do fine with the same GPU for years. That's unpredictable though, you can't plan(future proof) on it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Anyone have a line on a place with 8 GB RX480s in stock? I'm getting ready to place an order but everyone seems to be out of stock or gouging on these.

Also considering just grabbing one of these. A little pricier than building myself, but not a bad deal. Have any of you bought CyberPower and had a bad experience (or a good one, for that matter)?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have a Cyberpower from 4.5y ago. I had a fan and my boot drive go bad, both of which they replaced with a minimum of fuss, aside from having to send the drive back in before they'd ship a replacement. The HDD was a name brand drive, and they certainly can't be faulted for its failure. But I had absolutely no issues with their build quality.

If I were you, I'd see if you could build a rig at their site that was comparable, which would allow you complete customization.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote:If I were you, I'd see if you could build a rig at their site that was comparable, which would allow you complete customization.
I started looking at that last night, but it's going to take some time. Dell they are not. :) Which is awesome.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup. It's a rabbit hole. That being said, you can always start with a stock build from the site and tweak it from there.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Indeed. I think I'll pull this to a dedicated thread so as not to derail this one.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm ready to buy a card but I can't shake the feeling that which ever card I buy, the week after I buy it either prices will drop or previously out of stock items that I'd prefer will be in stock again.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I've been running on a GTX 560 TI since 2011 so I'm due. Especially since the fan noise while running "No Man's Sky" is approaching vacuum cleaner levels. At first I was thinking a GTX 1070 but looks like a GTX 1060 would be good enough. This one looks nice and quiet.

Maybe I'll wait till Cyber Monday and see if the 1070's drop in price.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

raydude wrote:I've been running on a GTX 560 TI since 2011 so I'm due. Especially since the fan noise while running "No Man's Sky" is approaching vacuum cleaner levels. At first I was thinking a GTX 1070 but looks like a GTX 1060 would be good enough. This one looks nice and quiet.

Maybe I'll wait till Cyber Monday and see if the 1070's drop in price.
There's this guy on Youtube(isn't there always?), Tech YES City, who does computer builds based on old parts. One thing I find fascinating about his way of doing it is he'll remove all heatsinks and redo the thermal paste or pads. It turns out after a few years that stuff might not work anymore. It's worth a shot on that 560, the timing seems right. Maybe you can be spared the fan noise until you get your new card?
raydude

Post by raydude »

Or I could just play Stardew Valley until then.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I have an R9 380 and have no idea if this would be an upgrade, downgrade, or no grade. I hate shopping for video cards because there seems to be no easy way to see if a change is worth it. I do use Tom's guide to video cards as my bible for this sort of stuff, but...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The 380 is similar to the Nvidia 960 in performance. The Nvidia 970 is similar to the Nvidia 1060 which is similar to the AMD 480 in performance. So in that convoluted way you can extrapolate where your 380 fits in and what you'd gain by upgrading to a 480. It's a jump in class, in that a 960 is nowhere near the performance of a 970, so it is with the 380 and 480.

How much of a benefit you personally would get depends on other factors of course. The games you play, the resolution you use, and the settings you like to use. It's possible the 380 does everything you need so you wouldn't gain anything with an upgrade.