USB ports dying: normal or not

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

paulbaxter

USB ports dying: normal or not

Post by paulbaxter »

My desktop can with three USB ports on the front and a bunch in the back. One of the ones on the front gave up the ghost pretty quickly, then another has been a bit iffy. Yesterday the port on the back which had my keyboard just stopped functioning, leaving me with the keyboard plugged into the remaining port on the front and hoping nothing else goes wrong.

Is this a common thing? Is it cheap/easy to repair? I'm assuming some sort of wire or contact point has just worked loose.
No sig, must scream, etc.
TheMix

Re: USB ports dying: normal or not

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm... I don't think I've ever had a port go bad. Not sure what to tell you. You could check the cables on the inside that connect those ports to the motherboard to make sure that nothing came loose. At least for the front ones. For the back ones it will depend on whether they are part of the motherboard already.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I helped a friend replace the front I/O panel on a Dell desktop several years ago (his defective front I/O panel actually prevented the system from booting at all). The replacement I/O panel cost <$15 to order online, and installation was a breeze. I was able to look up the Dell part # in the relevant service manual for his system, and then just Googled that part number to find merchants selling it. I would imagine you can do much the same thing, regardless of the make and model of your system (or MoBo/case, if it was a system you built yourself).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »