Bad Drive! Bad!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Bad Drive! Bad!

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Bad Drive! Bad!

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Good luck. I had that issue and ended up replacing the CPU. Went through numerous drives, updates, bios upgrades, nothing would fix it. Eventually started replacing everything else and got to the CPU. Finally got it fixed.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So it's a massively helpful error to get.

Maybe they should stop trying to appeal to the unsavvy and put details up that would help a tech.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The internet helps, as does working from home. Burning a Win10 ISO was a bust in the immediate term, as it was unable to repair things. Attempts to recover the key from the command prompt were a failure. Then I turned my head to the left and saw the sticker stuck to the side of my case. Let's hear it for Cyberpower. Will probably head out in a bit to get a new boot drive.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drive replaced, after struggling to get it to boot again, finally got it powered up and Windows installed. Of course, it's not recognizing the storage drive that has all my games and storage on it. I had to disconnect it to get to the bad one. Guess I finally have a reason to get the HDD dock I've been wanting for a while. May get a new SATA cable. I did so want to spend my weekend up to my elbows in computer guts.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm thinking this is Win10 weekend around my abode. Joy.

I've got a new desktop which came with Win 10, and I'm a fan. But I'm never thrilled about converting OSes. It's nice that the splashscreen comes directly from Enough's instagram account, however. :D
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

The Meal wrote:... I'm never thrilled about converting OSes. ..
Further establishing my curmudgeon-li-ness, I have only done this once. From Win 3.1 to 95. "Never again", says I, and stuck to it. To this day, if I get dragged by my heels to a new OS, a new computer comes with it.

Heh. And incidentally, that one PC that I took from Win 3.1 to 95, I years later reverted back to 3.1 and DOS 5 for some retro reason. Mostly I think because it was too slow to run 95 effectively. And it still works fine, though it very, very rarely gets used.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Edit: Oops. Wrong thread...
Last edited by Lassr on Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

After verifying that my data drive is visible through the usb dock, I moved the SATA cable to another MB connector. It's a slower connection, but it actually works. And seeing as the drive is a slow, 5200 RPM drive, I doubt it will make an impact.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lassr wrote:a warning:
Thanks. Did not attempt the upgrade this weekend. Daughter was able to spend the entire time with us, so no free time for me. (Worth it!)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Spinrite, spin! (grc.com)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds