Wireless router advice

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

Wireless router advice

Post by Zenn7 »

Power went off for a few seconds twice in a few minute period couple nights ago. Now, my Linksys Wireless G 2.4Mhz 54Mbps wireless router has lost it's wireless functionality.

Got it from a friend, old/used. Worked fine for a couple years now. The wired ports still work (2 desktops plugged in and working fine), just can't find it on wireless. Looking at the settings, shows 0 received packets and all transmissions are errored out (assuming those are broadcasts of the wireless).

Does not look settings were rest. I have never had issues with this before and have had numerous power outtages.

Googling some troubleshooting, not finding anything that seemed helpful. Last ditch is to unplug everything and leave it unplugged for at least 30 minutes (will be doing this later today). Had unplugged everything once and had power off for 10-20 minutes already. Not expecting this to help, but it was mentioned, and it can't hurt.

Any advice on that would be great!

...but I am thinking the wireless function is dead on this router and I need to buy a new one. All of our wireless toys are going straight to the cable modem (residential gateway - ATT Uverse), the only thing that this router has been required for now is our printer. It's a wireless printer. Can connect it to the cable modem, but that doesn't help getting getting the computers to access it.

So I need a wireless router with at least 2 wired ports (seems like they all have 4). Probably getting it from Best Buy (rewards points, can get a $50 gift card there) - anything special I should be looking for or to avoid? Any features I need to make sure it has? Brands to seek out/avoid?
gilraen

Re: Wireless router advice

Post by gilraen »

Wireless printers are notoriously finicky. Have you looked at the router's admin page? (probably 192.168.1.1 but may vary by model) Does it recognize Wi-Fi status, whether enabled or disabled?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

The printer is fine. I was able to get it to connect to the residential gateway (it could print crap from the internet). Just the router itself was goofed. It said wireless was on, just not functioning. Tried resetting some of the settings (change it and change it back just to reset it), no help.

The unplugging did not help.

Since I can connect to the residential gateway (cable modem), a friend suggested I should be able to just use that and print that way. Thinking I just need to set or configure something different and that will work (I hope).

Otherwise, in my smallish home w/o much needs for the wireless router, pretty much anything will suffice apparently.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Try upgrading the firmware too.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote:Try upgrading the firmware too.
I'd seen that advice too, only reason I didn't bother is no issues after a couple years and power going out several times (so there is nothing new about the experience) suggests whatever the problem is, a firmware update would not be likely to fix it. I may be misthinking that, but sort of equate it to something like "PC works fine... works fine for a couple years, then out of the blue, stops working the same (no new software, no other changes/events that have not happened several times before) - updating Windows would be unlikely to resolve the sudden issue."
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

AH HA! Got it through the residential gateway. Just had to find the IP and point to the printer via the IP.

Thanks Gilraen and Pyperkub for the suggestions.