PC upgrade questions

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bad Demographic

PC upgrade questions

Post by Bad Demographic »

I'm going to do some more upgrades to Bob's pc (in hopes of fixing the Fallout 4 CTDs) and I have some questions for the hivemind.
1) Is it ok to put DDR3 ram chips into DDR4 slots?
2) Do the Intel i5 and i7 chips fit into the same sockets?

I plan to buy a new motherboard and am wondering if I can move the cpu and the RAM instead of having to buy new.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Re: PC upgrade questions

Post by TheMix »

I'd recommend checking the specs on the new motherboard. The manual should tell you what RAM and CPU are supported.

I don't actually know the answer to your question. But good luck.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Bad Demographic wrote:I'm going to do some more upgrades to Bob's pc (in hopes of fixing the Fallout 4 CTDs) and I have some questions for the hivemind.

I plan to buy a new motherboard and am wondering if I can move the cpu and the RAM instead of having to buy new.
1) different slots, so no
2) if they're the same chipset and the mobo supports that chipset, then yes. you'll see on the mobo specs which chipsets it supports. list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:I'm going to do some more upgrades to Bob's pc (in hopes of fixing the Fallout 4 CTDs) and I have some questions for the hivemind.

1) different slots, so no
2) if they're the same chipset and the mobo supports that chipset, then yes. you'll see on the mobo specs which chipsets it supports. list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets
Okay, thanks. Time to do some reading!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter