Fix for loose keyboard key?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Loving my new'ish KB but I have one little problem...the ESC key is loose. Up front I will say I refuse to glue it on. I dont want to damage the switch at all plus I would like to remove it from time to time for cleaning.

Ok its VERY loose. It basically just sits on the switch. If I turn the KB over to shake something out of it the key falls off. If I pound my desk in frustration the key pops off. Sometimes like a sec ago Ill look and its off and laying on the switch at an angle. Not sure when this happened. I dont recall it being loose when I got it.

Its not broken. Neither the switch nor the key has any broken pieces to it. Is there something semi sticky or like Polygrip(lol) that will help it stay on but not perma type?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Re: Fix for loose keyboard key?

Post by Blackhawk »

Contact the manufacturer. Explain the problem. They may just send you a new key.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Daehawk wrote:... Is there something semi sticky or like Polygrip(lol) that will help it stay on but not perma type?
Polygrip will probably work as well as anything else, I suppose, having no idea what it's like, but I can imagine.

But seriously, if your board is newish, call the place where you bought it for an RMA. They may give you a new key, as Blackhawk suggested, but most large manufacturers will likely just replace the entire board.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You could put a drop of soda pop in the upside down key and wait for it to dry out. That should be pretty sticky (as long as it's not diet pop) and will keep the key stuck on the switch.

Did you KB come with any extra keys (tops)? You could swap one of those onto the switch instead and just have to deal with the fact that the key is mislabeled.

Or just find the key you are least likely to use and stick that on there. Nobody ever uses Scroll Lock. Yank that sucker off and pop it on ESC!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

killbot737 wrote:You could put a drop of soda pop in the upside down key and wait for it to dry out. That should be pretty sticky (as long as it's not diet pop) and will keep the key stuck on the switch.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No extra anything. They are supposed to be sending me a new key or two.

The least they could do is send me a replacement keyboard and while they are at it just send me a replacement for that one also if something goes wrong.

I am kidding about that.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Regular key is not supposed to fall out. Either you have a bad key, or the key has a cracked stem (which is still a bad key).

The simple way is cut a square of Scotch (tm) tape. Stick that on the cross stem, then push the key down onto. If it's STILL not tight, your key stem is f***ed up.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got my replacement key today. Works perfectly. Fit like a glove and wont come off even with a small tug.