Windows updates? (Win7)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ColdSteel

Windows updates? (Win7)

Post by ColdSteel »

I saw I had 9 new Win7 updates and decided to install them this morning. None of them will download. It just sits at 0 percent downloaded on the update window. I had no problem installing some other updates last month and nothing has changed on my PC since then so I can't tell what the issue might be. I tried disabling my Kaspersky AV and windows firewall just in case but still nothing downloads. I checked on-line and no one seems to be reporting issues with Microsoft updates at the moment. My PC and Internet connectivity is otherwise working just fine. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think this is a Microsoft issue on their end?
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ColdSteel

Re: Windows updates? (Win7)

Post by ColdSteel »

Well, I managed to get it working again. I tried deleting the items in the temp updates download folder but that didn't work. I tried updating from a clean boot setup, nope. I tried running the Windows Updates Diagnostic tool but nope, it just hung. I tried downloading and installing the critical updates manually but that hung too. Finally I cleaned up a bunch of temp files on my OS drive and then I was able to install two of the updates manually after stopping the Automatic updates service. I then restarted the automatic updates service and searched for updates. It came back with a different list of updates this time and, wonder of wonders, it actually downloaded them and installed them all just fine.

3 hours of my Saturday wasted on this crap but at least it's fixed now.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Glad we could help! Don't hesitate to ask again.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

mine just started doing that also. I have not fixed it yet.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Microsoft changed the Windows Update server setup and didn't leave the old server up to serve "update to windows update", leaving the chain broken. It's not the first time they've done so.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I've been having the same problem. What is an "OS drive"? Maybe I could try what you did and get the updates to work.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant help you. Ive had Win7 updates off for nearly 2 years now. Come at me bro!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bad Demographic wrote:I've been having the same problem. What is an "OS drive"? Maybe I could try what you did and get the updates to work.
Those of us that run with two drives generally install Windows on one (OS drive) and have a larger spinny drive for storage and games.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:I've been having the same problem. What is an "OS drive"? Maybe I could try what you did and get the updates to work.
Those of us that run with two drives generally install Windows on one (OS drive) and have a larger spinny drive for storage and games.
Got it. Thanks.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Every few months I get a few new machines that require me to go to learn what the new way to get updates for Windows 7 is. MS websites are no help. I think this is their way to force you in to 10 even though not nearly every application is properly supported in 10 yet.

Windows Update for 7 is completely borked and has been for over a year.

The current method (Augusts version du jour) I am testing to get 7 updating:

https://positek.net/new-windows-wont-update/

9 individual packages that so far all take huge amounts of time to cross reference updates.

I wish to pete my upper offices would get me a functioning (with our group policy) WSUS server.

/rant
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Failed. I hate this. Working on another solution from the MS Community now. *sigh*
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got it working!

Turn of auotmatic updates
Go here

Only download and run patches 7 (reboot) 8 (reboot) 9 (reboot) search for updates manually.

What
a
Headache
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yep, after jumping through hoops to get 7 updated last month, it is doing the same thing this month. I am at the point that I will probably just turn updates off. But I may try the link you posted above first.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Newly installed win7 SP1 system. Over 200 updates downloaded and installed after multiple reboots. Now updater is broken. Running multiple (ms provided) tools results in what appears to be progress, but I'm always left with one of a couple of error codes.

Likely culprit is corruption, somewhere. Either in an update itself or in the registry. Trying to track down the exact update that causes the problem...? Not excited, but I've already spent hours on this. I've even given up and done a fresh install, but the results are the same. Something is breaking the updater.

I now know WAY more than I ever wanted to know about the stupid thing, and I'm still stuck.

Will look through this thread to see if anything is new or that I haven't tried yet.

Frustrated.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote:Got it working!

Turn of auotmatic updates
Go here

Only download and run patches 7 (reboot) 8 (reboot) 9 (reboot) search for updates manually.

What
a
Headache
Ok, yes, not this article but the rollup one previous sounds like exactly what I need. I'm willing to do a fresh install if necessary. Will post status update later.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No dice. Updates installed correctly (at least no errors) but updater is still borked and spinning its wheels. Will try a fresh install + rollup.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I run new installs all of the time (with service pack. I'm not sure what you do without it)

turn off updates
7 reboot
8 reboot
9 reboot

has still been working for me. I will rue the day when it changes again.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I actually ran down a whole bunch of update files and ran them manually (starting with a SP1 image). I can write up a small how-to document if people would be interested, with names of the files and locations I found them (on MS's sites).

Just letting the auto-updater do it's thing broke repeatedly, but I was able to get up to date finally. If you're a windows admin, nothing I did will be a surprise or complicated, although it took some reading and tracking down of stuff before I made headway.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote:So I actually ran down a whole bunch of update files and ran them manually (starting with a SP1 image). I can write up a small how-to document if people would be interested, with names of the files and locations I found them (on MS's sites).

Just letting the auto-updater do it's thing broke repeatedly, but I was able to get up to date finally. If you're a windows admin, nothing I did will be a surprise or complicated, although it took some reading and tracking down of stuff before I made headway.
I might just take you up on that... Only don't make the effort now. It seems like the rules change every month, so your effort might be in vein before I have to load another 7 machine from scratch. Man I need a WSUS.
DD*

Post by DD* »

*vain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg