Video card advice

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Video card advice

Post by Punisher »

From a post on GT I did:
I currently have 2 GTX 980's in SLI.
1 is ready for a trade-in in Oct, the other is ready some time next year.
I should get about $550 for each one.
My choices are:
1) trade-in the one for Oct and get a 1080GTX for about $150 extra. Do the same next year when the other one is due, but 1080GTX prices will probably go down by then.
2) Trade-in both in Oct and "lose" the extra time for the second one, but use the money towards a Titan X and spend about $150 more.

Rig is used primarily for gaming. Monitors are 23" running at 1920x1080. One of the monitors is 120Hz so that I can use my Nvidia 3D glasses (although I don't actually use them too often anymore).
Secondary use is for 3D artwork/rendering and relies on CUDA a lot.

Any thoughts?
Also, to forestall any trade in questions.. Also from GT:
Well. It is a sort of trade in. I get my cards at Microcenter and ever since I first bought one from them years ago, I was told to buy their warranty and then to just return it under warranty to the store for a refund and get a new one. I have been told this NUMEROUS times by various employee's and managers over the years. It sounded odd to me, but it has been working for years.
It came about because I bought video cards with lifetime warranties and said I didn't need theirs if mine already came with a lifetime one...
So every time the warranty is about up I do a "trade-in" and get something new. I currently have 2 cards from them with different purchase dates which is why I have the options I mentioned.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Alefroth

Re: Video card advice

Post by Alefroth »

Seems like any of those options including your current setup is more than enough for 1080p gaming. Can you trade in a card for a monitor?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

It's store credit so I can use it for anything, but I have 2 23" monitors. 1 is less then a year old and the other a little over a year, so no real interest in getting a new one right now. Plus I do want to upgrade for use with my 3D stuff...
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

My view on SLI/Crossfire is that most times one top line card is going to be better than two lesser cards combined. The main benefit I see to SLI is you can cut upfront costs, buy one now, buy one later. The downside though is that next year might see a new gen card that's even better, but you're committed to buying a twin for the card you currently have for SLI.

So, unless you happen to be the exception where SLI really is a huge benefit to you, I'd go with option 2. Trade them both in and get the single fastest card you want and that meets your needs.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gameoverman wrote:My view on SLI/Crossfire is that most times one top line card is going to be better than two lesser cards combined. The main benefit I see to SLI is you can cut upfront costs, buy one now, buy one later. The downside though is that next year might see a new gen card that's even better, but you're committed to buying a twin for the card you currently have for SLI.

So, unless you happen to be the exception where SLI really is a huge benefit to you, I'd go with option 2. Trade them both in and get the single fastest card you want and that meets your needs.
Also, SLI/Crossfire games tend to require special driver updates to work, so if you are dying to play the latest and greatest, you generally need to wait a week or so for those driver/profiles to be debugged and ready for primetime.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Also, if you can wait until the HBM2 cards come out (late this year, early next year), you may want to hold off and max out an HBM2 card.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Pyperkub wrote:Also, if you can wait until the HBM2 cards come out (late this year, early next year), you may want to hold off and max out an HBM2 card.
Unfortunately, I have to trade in one card by 2nd week of Oct