My router is drunk.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

My router is drunk.

Post by Blackhawk »

The other day I started having some trouble with some uploads. I did a speed check, and while my download and pings were great, my upload speed was awful, in the range of 0.1Mb/second. I figured Comcast had bumped their head on the controls again and gave them a couple of days to fix it.

It never happened. Last night and this morning I started troubleshooting. I tried the obvious stuff first, rebooting routers and modems. I'd tried that before, of course, but did it again just to be safe.

Still slow. I really, really didn't want to call Comcast support. It would mean all morning on hold, followed by being told to do what I'd already done, then getting an appointment for sometime next week from a guy who would be here somewhere between 11 AM and December. I decided to do a little more troubleshooting.

To start eliminating potential problems, I tried hooking my modem directly to my PC.

13.2 up. That's about normal. So it was my router (a TRENDnet TEW-824DRU) all along?

Ok, I replaced the cable between the modem and the router.

Still slow.

I updated the firmware.

Still slow.

I checked all the settings.

Still slow.

I restored the settings from when I first configured it.

Still slow.

Finally, I called TrendNet support. The guy was obviously from India, but he was comprehensible, and after I told him what I'd tried, he actually didn't make me do it all again. I was on the phone with him for an hour and a half, trying everything in the book.

Still slow.

Finally, he had me do a full factory reset.

Still slow.

He took my information, and told me I'd be contacted by a member of the technical team that designed my router tomorrow or Thursday. Ok.

Still slow.

I had to leave to get the kids a few minutes later, but I knew they'd need the internet for homework when we got home, and the factory reset had changed all of the passwords and settings for my entire network. So, I restored my post-setup settings, just like I'd done way back at the beginning, and left to get the kids.

Got home.

14.1 up.

:shock: :| :think:

All I can guess is that the combination of the factory reset and restored settings afterwards fixed whatever was wrong.

But now what? When the tech team calls, I can tell them it is fixed and just get off the phone. I'm worried, though. If the initial settings restore and the factory reset didn't fix it, another settings restore should not have, either. Is there something wrong with my router that's going to fail in a few months?

What should I tell the tech team?

What would you tell the tech team?

Is it illegal to shoot a router in Indiana?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Re: My router is drunk.

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have a friend born and raised in Terra Haute and she says everyone there has a drinking problem. is this so? apparently it extends to inanimate objects as well.
Blackhawk

Re: My router is drunk.

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote:i have a friend born and raised in Terra Haute and she says everyone there has a drinking problem. is this so? apparently it extends to inanimate objects as well.
I wasn't born in Terre Haute, but I was raised there. I gradgie-ated high school there. I don't know that the people are more prone to drinking than any other mid-sized redneck city, but common wisdom in high school was that the only worthwhile activities in the area were drinking and screwing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)