For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: Gaming monitor recommendations?

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just for grins:

Massdrop Vast 35-inch curved monitor: $599

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-v ... guest_open
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:10 am Just for grins:

Massdrop Vast 35-inch curved monitor: $599

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-v ... guest_open
That's very interesting... What's the deal with Massdrop? It looks kind of kickstarter-ish. Is it legit?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Massdrop is a "group buy" place. Sometimes, they jump into a "product development" deal with a maker to make something truly exclusive, which becomes their selling point, of course. They did this with headphone makers, keyboard makers, and stuff. Since they do group buy, the manufacturers know they are good for it, and the big orders are hard to pass up.

This "Vast" thing is cute, but note the catch: it's large, but the resolution is a bit on the low side. It's basically just a 1080p monitor with 21:9 ratio. You can get a LG 34 inch (LG 34UM59) on B&H for $269 (it's on sale) if you don't want to wait. So it's not a HUGE deal as it was when it was launched 6 months ago. But when it first launched, it's like Monoprice was way back when it was just KILLING the market with its stuff like well below then market prices, until Monoprice turned into Walmart by selling everything.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:20 pm Massdrop is a "group buy" place. Sometimes, they jump into a "product development" deal with a maker to make something truly exclusive, which becomes their selling point, of course. They did this with headphone makers, keyboard makers, and stuff. Since they do group buy, the manufacturers know they are good for it, and the big orders are hard to pass up.

This "Vast" thing is cute, but note the catch: it's large, but the resolution is a bit on the low side. It's basically just a 1080p monitor with 21:9 ratio. You can get a LG 34 inch (LG 34UM59) on B&H for $269 (it's on sale) if you don't want to wait. So it's not a HUGE deal as it was when it was launched 6 months ago. But when it first launched, it's like Monoprice was way back when it was just KILLING the market with its stuff like well below then market prices, until Monoprice turned into Walmart by selling everything.
It's 3440 x 1440 with Freesync and 100hz. That's quite a bit better than "a 1080p monitor with 21:9 ratio".
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, let me rephrase that.

I can find an ultra-wide 1080p monitor for 269 on sale at about the same size. Do I really want to pay $600 for something ONE INCH larger and slightly higher resolution (sort of work out at, what? 2x the pixels?)?

For some people it's definitely worth it.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Heh. Definitely worth it! I imagine text would look terrible on that large of a screen at only 1080 resolution.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Agree, 1080p for that size screen would be absolute shit, unless you have extremely bad, uncorrected eyesight.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Looks like Vast is back for another round, folks. You have 23 days left. 1019 out of 1300 had already been spoken for...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

downside to mass drop:
Estimated ship date is July 19, 2018 PT.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Vast just got a price drop. It's down to 549