Considering an ultrawide monitor

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Considering an ultrawide monitor

Post by Lorini »

The biggest question that I have is if you can split the screen so that some of the screen is used for gaming and the rest has a browser or other window. Also any suggestions for graphic cards to use with them or stay away from would be appreciated. Thanks!
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Re: Considering an ultrawide monitor

Post by gameoverman »

I think you'd want to run the game in a window, then resize it and place it as needed. You could also use "-width -height -windowed mode" with your game shortcut to automatically start the game the way you want but you'd still need to move the window.

I don't think it's possible to always start all games in a certain portion of the screen and always start certain programs in other portions, but then again maybe there's a program for that and I just never knew it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I don't have the info, but there is 3rd party software that can do it. I also think some monitors come with the software to split the screen
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I have both, with list hardware and software when I get home tonight, as I am drawing a blank.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

There is a dedicated group/site called Wide Screen Gaming forum. They have tons of answers and individual tweaks for a decade or more of games.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks for that! Although maybe I'm better off with a 24" 4K and keeping my old monitor, be cheaper that's for sure :).
Black Lives Matter
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 34" Curved Ultrawide Monitor (U3415W). I thought I would have issues with wanting to do what you're suggesting, but surprisingly it hasn't been a problem. Most games have a windowed mode so the trick is just setting the right resolution so you have the remainder of your screen for whatever you want. The only issue I had was when I did some retro-gaming playing Might and Magic 6 - The Mandate of Heaven. However, I found the right settings online and was able to play it windowed as well.

My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 980 Ti. I haven't kept up with it, but I recall they just released some really powerful cards for a decent price.

Anyway, I haven't regretted having the monitor for a second. Watching a movie on it is pretty awesome.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply