ARGH! (Quest for Android OTG storage)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

ARGH! (Quest for Android OTG storage)

Post by Kasey Chang »

My original Moto X only has 32 GB onboard and with a couple backups space can run low, so I have need of external storage mainly for backup purposes.

I had a Monoprice microSD to Android OTG (microUSB) adapter, and it worked great. Unfortunately, after a drop to the floor it seems to have been lost somewhere in my room in the darkest recesses never to be seen again. :-P

So I went online on Amazon and ordered the latest... "Dash Micro". And it's a dandy little thing. Comes with a silicon jacket/carrier that makes it key-chain-able, the adapter is even smaller, and even comes with a full-size-USB adapter so it can be plugged into a PC.

Just got it in my hand. Plugged in my 64GB SanDisk... Won't read. After a bit of fiddling, realized that my Android OTG is limited to 32GB. (ARGH!)

Found my backup 32GB microSD card, plugged that in. Worked for 5 minutes. Backed up about 1/3 of my files. Then my phone rebooted. WTF? After that the plug was useless. Insists that the device is unreadable. WTF?

Plugged it to my Nexus 7, about the most compatible, gold standard in Android. It's a genuine Nexus device. Got "This USB device is not compatible" even as it seem to see it as a USB storage, but can't read the contents.

WTF indeed. Rebooted both device multiple times. No joy. Tried multiple times. No joy.

This thing is going back to Amazon. Should have just bought the Monoprice adapter again. Wasted a whole week.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Re: ARGH! (Quest for Android OTG storage)

Post by hitbyambulance »

i got a $0.99 OTG mini-USB to regular USB adapter on eBay (free shipping from China) for my Raspberry Pi Zero. i'm just lucky it actually works.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'd test it with a different microSD card. Those things are much more likely to go bad than a brand-new adapter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Crap, I think it's the SD card. I just went to the PC and erased everything on it, then I used the adapter into the device. Nothing. Copied a file onto it. Can't see the directory structure. Weird. Plugged it back into the PC... none of the files are erased. I think this SD card is toast.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote:Crap, I think it's the SD card. I just went to the PC and erased everything on it, then I used the adapter into the device. Nothing. Copied a file onto it. Can't see the directory structure. Weird. Plugged it back into the PC... none of the files are erased. I think this SD card is toast.
did you try full reformat (not quick)?

be sure to try this formatter. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

i've also had luck formatting cards in Linux using dd, when Windows and OS X have failed.

and if you do get it working again, i'd run a verification test to make sure that the card is not a counterfeit/fake. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-de ... h-h2testw/
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I went to Best Buy and bought a genuine SanDisk Pixtar (sp?) 32 gb for $15. It works. So I guess I need to reformat the 32 GB Transcend that wasn't quite working right.